Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green cert over 35, is it worth it?

Options
  • 22-02-2020 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

Is the green cert worth doing over the age of 35?
    In my mid 30s now, if I started the course this year, I would be over 35 by the time the course finishes.

Over the next few years, I would be hoping to get involved in the family farm on part time basis.

Eventually the family farm and everything on it will pass to me.

Would the green cert help with inheritance tax ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Knowledge is always useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A Green cert course qualification currently defines 'a qualified farmer' for the purposes of Revenue and Department of Agriculture (DAFM) schemes.

Also previous forestry grants schemes needed a green cert to be able to access the farmers rate for afforestation grants etc. Though I think thats changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Hi,

Is the green cert worth doing over the age of 35?
    In my mid 30s now, if I started the course this year, I would be over 35 by the time the course finishes.

Over the next few years, I would be hoping to get involved in the family farm on part time basis.

Eventually the family farm and everything on it will pass to me.

Would the green cert help with inheritance tax ?

Op your best really seek advice from ideally a good independent agri consultant in your area on this. They are aware of all criteria for farm schemes and the like and often have knowledge of things coming down the line in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

It’ll entitle you to 60% tams grants if still under 40 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭visatorro

God knows what way any sort of tax will go in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Look up Farmed.ie the course can be done over 10mths part time with them

The only thing having it under 35 means is you are exempt from stamp duty. You are entitled to all other benefits once you are under 40 and you are eligible for agri relief regardless of age.

Im not sure why the idea got out there that being under 35 was the big difference it’s only one fairly minor addition benefit it gives you.

The reality is the main reason for doing the green cert is to be eligible for agri relief on inheritance tax so the green cert is worth doing for this no matter what age you are as without it and a farm worth over 330k you are going to be writing a big cheque to revenue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Eamon_

The only thing having it under 35 means is you are exempt from stamp duty. You are entitled to all other benefits once you are under 40 and you are eligible for agri relief regardless of age.

Im not sure why the idea got out there that being under 35 was the big difference it’s only one fairly minor addition benefit it gives you.

The reality is the main reason for doing the green cert is to be eligible for agri relief on inheritance tax so the green cert is worth doing for this no matter what age you are as without it and a farm worth over 330k you are going to be writing a big cheque to revenue.

Your last point is misleading.

Capital gains for inheritance of farms is 90% reduced. This means if a farm is worth 3m, the capital gains is only on 300k of this, and then because 300k is below the 330k limit, you don't pay any tax at all.

Advertisement