Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work and mental health in Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

jk23 wrote: »
    From Discover on Google https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/almost-half-of-people-in-galway-suffer-mental-health-issues-from-their-jobs/

Almost half of people in Galway suffer mental health issues from their jobs

I wonder is it because of a combination of traffic, the economy favouring set term contracts since the recession and lack of mental health services in companies in Galway that are to blame? ....

Is that good or bad? Where do we rank?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I would blame some of the American multinationals. They can create a culture of stress and many weak Irish managers demand total obedience to their American overlords and their business targets at the expense of employee work/life balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,709 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sorry, but having experienced a bullying boss (once, 25 years ago, in another country) goes not equal having a mental health issue.

Hell, it wasn't even a mental health issue then.

I would blame some of the American multinationals. They can create a culture of stress and many weak Irish managers demand total obedience to their American overlords and their business targets at the expense of employee work/life balance.

Have to disagree there, the multinationals are by and large the best places to work by a distance. Particularly if you are highly skilled where the perks and flexibility are excellent (and the pay of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

I work for a multi national in Galway and have to say they are excellent.
    They are very proactive and often arrange interesting visitors to talk to staff and promote good mental health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have to agree with others. I had a rougher time working for Irish companies than for multi-nationals.

I have also worked for US and UK companies directly (not multi-national). It's not unique to Galway or any one place. Some places have a bad work culture. Just is what it is.

Advertisement