Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recovery of a very rotten Jag (video)

• 21-02-2020 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭

More of a ditch find than barn find - a Jaguar Mark IX that's been sitting outside in a farm for over 40 years:

Despite the body being mostly dust, there were a surprising amount of parts to recover from it. Hopefully some of it will go to good use!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i'm always amazed at people back in the day parking up cars like that that must have still had some residual value.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Isambard wrote: »
    i'm always amazed at people back in the day parking up cars like that that must have still had some residual value.

I know roughly where a field full of rovers, 3.5's, p5,p6, scimitars, mercs were parked.

When they would not start, they were not fixed, but just replaced with another
    high quality car. This went on and on for years. Old eccentric guy lived in this period house when I was fitting all new sliding sash windows.

Must have a google earth and see if they are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Isambard wrote: »

Look at 15-20 year old XJ's right now (the Mk. IX was about that age when left there) and many are worth less than €2k - and these have the benefits of much better rust protection and lower maintenance (not necessarily reliability ;) ) compared to a car from the '50s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Great video, I wonder would the car have been any better had it been parked up outside but on a hard surface away from trees. Probably not that much better! I also wonder how much water leaks into the interior contribute to cars getting into such a state. Rust hole in roof or perished seals, water gets it, rotting starts and now more water can get in accelerating the process until eventually it all falls apart and rots into the ground.

As bad as that Jag is, at least the separate chassis could be pulled out. I have seen worse and some of those cars were a lot newer. One I can think of is a Fiat 131 in a field which was about 25 years old at the time and was "complete" but had collapsed entirely. Unitary construction obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I know of a late sixties Daimler saloon, bought by a son who parked it up on his Dad's driveway for some reason, and there is lives and rots. Better condition than that, but rotten enough, and a far less in demand model, as best I'm aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Anybody remember a scrapyard by the Dodder in Milltown, there were acres of rotting cars stored there ? It was owned by a man called Hamill, and when he died the fields were cleared. I used to go there in the 1970s looking for parts for my 1960 Fiat 1100 estate. He owned a Morris Commercial recovery truck (side valve engine), which was subsequently used by a garage in Dundrum, near the Main St crossroads.

Look at 15-20 year old XJ's right now (the Mk. IX was about that age when left there) and many are worth less than €2k - and these have the benefits of much better rust protection and lower maintenance (not necessarily reliability ;) ) compared to a car from the '50s.

but my point was that someone parked that up in a field rather than realise the residual cash value.

But going back to my comparison - a roadworthy X350 may be worth about 2 grand now, but a non-runner is scrap. Most people aren't thinking of what these cars will be worth in 40+ years time. Lots of people buy old barges when they're worthless and just dump them when they break.

I know what your saying but what I am saying is I don't understand how anyone could not realise the residual value of a car and just park it in a field. Would you park up a €2000 X350 , as in your example, could you afford to? I couldn't !

It was probably parked up because there was something wrong with it. Now there's a lot of things wrong with it :)

• Advertisement

bit of plastic padding...be fine

Advertisement