Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Craft Beer Festivals Ireland

• 22-01-2020 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Alltech, normally in March, remains quiet online. RDS one is gone afaik. There were a couple of others (Dublin Beer Circus?).

Have all the craft beer festivals collapsed?
    Two or three years ago there seemed to be a heap of them - probably too many for the market to support.
    This year, I'm not seeing any announced as of yet - save for the Big Grill in August.

Has anyone heard anything about a possible Alltech festival later in the year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Hagstravaganza, Sligo in August.
    Boundary, in Belfast, have one on in May.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The two Effects mentions are definitely ones to watch, likewise Fidelity in July. White Hag did a Halloween and December festival too last year and I'd say they'll do that again. Rye River Rising was great last year and hopefully there'll be a re-run of that. And the Franciscan Well winter and Easter ones are continuing as usual, the winter one beginning this Thursday week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Heard great things about Rye Rising last year, hope it runs again so I can go.

I thought I heard on the grapevine that last year was Alltech's last go at the festival, so no announcement so far seems to back that up.

Dublin Drinks Mixer (replacement of Gin Experience) is happening in April in Convention Centre and will incorporate more types of alcohol, might be some beer https://www.dublindrinksmixer.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I understand the thinking for the Rye River Rising is that it might be held every 2 years afaik.
    I would have gone to Alltech every year. They looked to have a good crowd and did well with tourists etc what with it being Paddys weekend. Also the Rugby ws usually on.... surprised its not on again.
    Last time I was at the RDS one it was a let-down. Realistically its too far out of town (IMO) and there was a noticable decline in breweries there too.
    The Alltech too had dilluted their offering (some would argue) by giving more space over to the Whiskey and Gin crowd. I've no issue with that per se but I have thought it indicated a possible lack of take up from brewers to attend?

I have been involved in events with the crowd behind the RDS/Beer Circus and would say they're maybe not the easiest to deal with, can imagine that might put people off.

Don't know the ins and outs of Alltech, but from what I understood, it was a big deal to Dr Pearse Lyons himself, so perhaps in his absence, there's no push internally to run it again? They're certainly expensive events to run, staff, promote and indeed attend as a consumer. Also, Alltech have Pearse Lyons Distillery and Mil Gin, as well as their bourbons, so indeed a fair chunk of space was given over to them.

Loved the concept of Fidelity, one ticket price, all in, all breweries get the same set up and a focus on products you don't see here often. Downside, I was in a hoop for about two days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭emo72

That one in Weston airport 2 years ago was great. I miss it.

emo72 wrote: »
    That one in Weston airport 2 years ago was great. I miss it.

The Brewdog cinematic experience.
    Yeah missed that myself. Hard to see them putting it on again what with the bar in town now....

Twee. wrote: »
    I have been involved in events with the crowd behind the RDS/Beer Circus and would say they're maybe not the easiest to deal with, can imagine that might put people off.

Don't know the ins and outs of Alltech, but from what I understood, it was a big deal to Dr Pearse Lyons himself, so perhaps in his absence, there's no push internally to run it again? They're certainly expensive events to run, staff, promote and indeed attend as a consumer. Also, Alltech have Pearse Lyons Distillery and Mil Gin, as well as their bourbons, so indeed a fair chunk of space was given over to them.

Loved the concept of Fidelity, one ticket price, all in, all breweries get the same set up and a focus on products you don't see here often. Downside, I was in a hoop for about two days.

You could be right about the internal push no longer being there. Can't imagine they would make much from the event and what with the much publicised costs around insurance.....the squeeze might not be worth the juice, from their perspective. Though one could argue it gives them a good platform to push their other wares (Mil etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pm9999

[URL=]http://sippyfest.co.uk[/URL] in Derry has been pretty good last 2 years if you fancy a trip up north. Decent range of breweries, food, music and some gin stalls were added last year. The Guildhall is a fabulous venue. Usually late November and in my diary to watch for this year.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Can't imagine they would make much from the event
    They can't possibly have made any money out of any of them. Nor come close to breaking even.

• Advertisement

Hard to break even on the stand cost as a producer as well, you really need to look at it as a marketing exercise rather than sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Blut2

Twee. wrote: »
    Dublin Drinks Mixer (replacement of Gin Experience) is happening in April in Convention Centre and will incorporate more types of alcohol, might be some beer https://www.dublindrinksmixer.com/

That looks interesting, but tickets are pretty pricey at 45euro a go.

The website states: "Please note your ticket price covers samples at the event as well as complimentary food pairings. Safe and responsible drinking is the heart of event so sample sizes will be reduced and complimentary water will be provided regularly throughout the event."

Has anyone been before? How small/big are the samples/food? I'd be a bit hesitant to splash out on a ticket without knowing exactly what I get for it.

It's run by the same people as Whiskey Live isn't it?
    I'd expect plenty of drink, food pairings to be mediocre, but they'll have other food stalls to purchase from.

• Blut2 wrote: »
    Has anyone been before? How small/big are the samples/food? I'd be a bit hesitant to splash out on a ticket without knowing exactly what I get for it.

The samples at the Gin Experience (same crowd, according to another poster) were essentially little more than a mouthful of g&t mixed together, or you could get it straight if you preferred. Doesn't seem like a lot, but they certainly weren't shy and after about 20 of them in the first hour we were starting to feel the effects. We hit the two beer stalls for a bit of a breather.

There were a couple of the bigger boys with fancier stalls, Bombay Sapphire in particular had plenty of fruits and berries and herbs to try mixing with them. Their samples were larger again, but sure who hasn't tried BS anyway who'd be at a Gin festival?

We signed up to one of the classes which was essentially a marketing spiel for half an hour followed by a bit of a demonstration and then a 'make your own G&T' shindig. They were 50ml servings, IIRC. Then back out to the main hall for another round of the samples. It was actually a really great idea and the perfect break, as everyone was noticeably more unsteady on their feet when we came back out.

Plenty of well-heeled groups of ladies who had been acting all sophisticated early doors were wobbling around on their high heels, with slurred speech. By the time we were leaving, there were more than a couple barefoot with running mascara. Was great to see, in fairness.

The pie and mash (from Pieman, I think) was easily the nicest I've had anywhere, by the way. If you ever get the chance, don't hesitate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,386 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We signed up to one of the classes which was essentially a marketing spiel for half an hour followed by a bit of a demonstration and then a 'make your own G&T' shindig. They were 50ml servings, IIRC. Then back out to the main hall for another round of the samples. It was actually a really great idea and the perfect break, as everyone was noticeably more unsteady on their feet when we came back out.

Thanks for the lowdown :)

Can you remember if you have to pay extra for the masterclasses or are they first come first served?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• odyssey06 wrote: »
    Thanks for the lowdown :)

Can you remember if you have to pay extra for the masterclasses or are they first come first served?

It was extra, but only by the price of a g+t anyway, maybe a fiver or thereabouts. Got a nice gift bag with some decent stuff, now that I think about it incl a 200ml bottle of gin

The pie and mash (from Pieman, I think) was easily the nicest I've had anywhere, by the way. If you ever get the chance, don't hesitate.

It was Pieman at Whiskey Live. It was much needed for me about halfway through the event. Pretty decent food.

• I didn't see the food stalls til the end, I was so distracted by how decent the grub was that I walked out past the stalls selling the gin and they wouldn't let me back in to buy a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

BeerNut wrote: »
    Rye River Rising was great last year and hopefully there'll be a re-run of that.

If there is none of the guest breweries will be back. Most of them were lucky to break even. Shaninagins afoot with how token sales were distributed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Best way to run festival is for the organisers to buy all the kegs. White hag and Whiplash ones do this. Not worth their time for breweries doing it any other way.

• Advertisement

The Porterhouse just announced a new one at their brewery. Seems to be mostly beer from the Grand Cru stable, but that's a very decent selection.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Porterhouse just announced a new one at their brewery. Seems to be mostly beer from the Grand Cru stable, but that's a very decent selection.

Same weekend as Boundary's festival though.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Same weekend as Boundary's festival though.
    If I don't go to Boundary at least I'll have something to take the edge off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Doolin craft beer festival not on anymore?
    I see the website is gone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

CAMRA festival is on 6th-9th May in Belfast.

https://belfastbeerfestival.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,386 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Dublin Drinks Mixer which was due to take place in the Convention Centre next month has been rescheduled to 4th & 5th September due to the coronavirus.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Any word on the White Hag event due to be on tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

Effects wrote: »
    Any word on the White Hag event due to be on tomorrow?

The cancelled it earlier I'm the week

Ah ok, I just had a look at their instagram and didn't see any update.

Edit:I see it on their twitter now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Obviously no beer festivals taking place in the next while in the country, but I did see this online https://beercloud.ie/product/craic/

So you order from the beercloud.ie website and it is €42.50 for 12 different beers, some serious heavy hitters, seems excellent value. Especially as I am yet to come across quite a few of them in Dublin/Wicklow.

Bitta craic of the May bank holiday weekend aswell.

Advertisement