Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Self drive recovery truck

Options
  • 18-02-2020 8:45pm

Anyone know of somewhere that hires self drive recovery vehicles( one that can be driven on a car license?
    I am trying to get a non-runner back from the uk. Most of the transport firms say it has to be driving, or at least rolling. The car has been stood for a number of
    years so brakes are probably stuck on.

I was going to hire a trailer behind my car but its over my car's towing limit.
    car + trailer are about 1900kgs.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Well, there's people like this https://www.transporterhire.co.uk/ but you'll still have to get the car on, and off the ferry. And then get it collected at this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

curvedxl wrote: »
    Anyone know of somewhere that hires self drive recovery vehicles( one that can be driven on a car license?
    I am trying to get a non-runner back from the uk. Most of the transport firms say it has to be driving, or at least rolling. The car has been stood for a number of
    years so brakes are probably stuck on.

I was going to hire a trailer behind my car but its over my car's towing limit.
    car + trailer are about 1900kgs.
    Any ideas?

Well if the brakes are stuck on how will you move it without a crane or lift...if you free them up to move it, then its "rolling"...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

What you need is something with a powerful winch that can drag it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Well if the brakes are stuck on how will you move it without a crane or lift...if you free them up to move it, then its "rolling"...:confused:

You can use rollers to bring it onto the truck-bed. Or simply force it: drag it with powerful enough motor and skid the tyres in the process... Not really an issue if you need to move it by 10m, compared to 1000km.

But that's not the biggest issue: there are weight limits with B license. The car itself weights around 1.5t. It will be extremely difficult to find a truck that can handle such load and still be under 3.5t total allowed weight. I'd say close to impossible and most of them would require C license.

grogi wrote: »
    You can use rollers to bring it onto the truck-bed. Or simply force it: drag it with powerful enough motor and skid the tyres in the process... Not really an issue if you need to move it by 10m, compared to 1000km.

But that's not the biggest issue: there are weight limits with B license. The car itself weights around 1.5t. It will be extremely difficult to find a truck that can handle such load and still be under 3.5t total allowed weight. I'd say close to impossible and most of them would require C license.

The crowd I linked say this:

Our car recovery units are 3.5t gross vehicle weight this means that holders of a standard (category B)car licence are qualified to drive our units. 3.5t DOES NOT refer to the payload you can carry onboard but to the TOTAL weight of vehicle + driver + load. In reality that means that you will be able to carry between 1.4 and 1.5t.

They also say each one comes with a winch, so the car can be pulled up if needs be. I was looking into one a while back, and came across them, but as I said, there's till the problem of getting it on and off the boat, and to the OPs house.

Maybe if they were contacted, they might be able to work something out, but it'd be a long shot.

But surely someone has done a recovery like that before. I suppose it's a matter of cost at the end of the day. There's plenty of recovery people I'm imagine that would go over and bring it back, but I can't see it being cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...cheaper & easier to get a haulier/car transport company to do it for you.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...cheaper & easier to get a haulier/car transport company to do it for you.

Op has tried that it seems
    curvedxl wrote: »
    Most of the transport firms say it has to be driving, or at least rolling.

Hence the predicament their in.

Advertisement