Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Independent New App

• 10-02-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭

Have been getting messsges on the app saying soon will have to pay for premium content. Today i had to download uodated app. Soon will have to pay for articles. I won't be paying however.

Does anyone have this app? The Indo has been fine all the time I have had so it's sad they are now charging.

The font is dreadful. Too thin. Too wirey. That in itself would put me off. What's it called?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Updated to the app and it is terrible, a step backwards in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

From this morning’s IT. I like the analogy. :)
    All respect to Peter Vandermeersch, publisher at Independent News & Media (INM) and overseer of its new digital strategy: he didn’t resort to tired “price of a coffee” comparisons when explaining the rationale for paywalling stories on its website.

In a recent interview with the Currency, Vandermeersch had only the really good stuff in mind. “Think about it. We’re bakers and we make croissants, and if you come to one door, our print door, you pay for the croissants,” he said. “But if you come to the back door, the digital door, we give them away for free.”

This enticing yet unsustainable bakery deal is over, however. “From now on, also at the back door, we’ll ask the 2½ euro a week for the croissants there.”

From Tuesday, unrestricted access to the Irish Independent and Sunday Independent sites will cost €10 a month. To get its e-paper too, it costs €14 a month.

Vandermeersch tweeted that the company, now owned by Belgian newspaper group Mediahuis, was doing this “because we believe in journalism and real stories are worth paying for”, a statement that should by now be entirely uncontroversial. The news costs money to produce.

Backwards digital revenues

The old INM regime, back when Denis O’Brien was the company’s largest shareholder, was paywall-averse, yet wasn’t exactly harvesting a great digital advertising bonanza from its open-access policy. Indeed, in the period right before Mediahuis swooped on the company, INM’s digital revenues were actually going backwards. Vandermeersch pithily summed up Mediahuis’s first impression of the digital side of the business to the Currency: “There was none.”

On this basis, INM has little to lose from belatedly discovering the logic of a paywall. The outstanding question, of course, is how many visitors to the Talbot Street bakery like the smell of its fresh croissants enough to part with money for them, and how many will simply seek out free pain au chocolat elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

mburke wrote: »
    Updated to the app and it is terrible, a step backwards in my opinion.

I don't know the name of the font but it is doing my eyes harm. It should come with a health warning. Dreadful.

I have never paid for an app in my life and I wouldn't be starting with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Bit disappointing but not surprising
    I loved reading the indo app
    Not sure whether to pay
    I miss it already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Not sure whether to pay
    I miss it already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Not sure whether to pay

Where else are you going to get your Kathryn Thomas holiday updates if you don’t pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I'd only read this thrashy celeb rag, purveyor of fake news and third rate windup merchant act, this forth rate Daily Mail, if I was paid for it, maybe as a press officer, so I likely won't read it again, although I didn't really read it too much. I suppose its new Belgian owners want to pay its way, which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

I'd only read this thrashy celeb rag, purveyor of fake news and third rate windup merchant act, this forth rate Daily Mail, if I was paid for it, maybe as a press officer, so I likely won't read it again, although I didn't really read it too much. I suppose its new Belgian owners want to pay its way, which is fair enough.

But how else are you going to get all the latest on Amy Huberman?

I don’t mind paying for something that’s good and I will use, as opposed to these plebs that illegally stream or make fake spotify families etc, but I think the Indo are over valuing themselves with the price for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

But how else are you going to get all the latest on Amy Huberman?

Yes, true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Unlikely I'll sub to this as I have two digital subs already, but thought the website overhaul looked good. Best of luck to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Pricing isn’t great.

The Times (not the Irish Times) is €5 a month

They Indo have pitted themselves at the Irish Times level - €12 a month

They seem to be recruiting new journalists so I guess quality will improve but then I don’t understand why they didn’t wait until they’d done that before rolling out the digital subscription

Where else are you going to get your Kathryn Thomas holiday updates if you don’t pay?

There might be a helpline available. Nobody should be deprived of getting daily updates on what it's like to be a mooom.

The Times has about three Irish reporters afaik. It's very good value, especially with the Sunday Times included, but you wouldn't want to be relying on it for Irish news/analysis during the week imo.
    Gekko wrote: »
    Pricing isn’t great.

They seem to be recruiting new journalists so I guess quality will improve but then I don’t understand why they didn’t wait until they’d done that before rolling out the digital subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Irish Independent digital copy is available daily on the Pressreader app with a library card number.
    Not sure whether to pay
    I miss it already

dohboy wrote: »
    The Times has about three Irish reporters afaik. It's very good value, especially with the Sunday Times included, but you wouldn't want to be relying on it for Irish news/analysis during the week imo.

Sport is excellently covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Irish Independent digital copy is available daily on the Pressreader app with a library card number.

Can you get straight in from the app?

I seem to recall I needed to go through my library website in order to get in to it before

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just deleted the app this morning, theres no point browsing something annoying yourself where 50% of the articles are behind a paywall. Have a sub for the Guardian and might get one for the Times as both of them have good content worth paying for, the Indo is does not.

That kind of sums it up really.

Has there ever been any figuers published of how many hits the Indos site/app gets on a weekly/monthly basis? Would have thought that it is high and the ad revenue could sustain it but obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Could the monthly sub be split between 5 people? So it only costs €2 a month.... Anyone interested?

Just discovered Mrs G! has a digital sub from work for both the IT and Indo. :)

• Advertisement

There's no Irish sport covered in the Times though, Monday to Saturday, bar whatever they are running in England.
    bobbyss wrote: »
    Sport is excellently covered.

dohboy wrote: »
    There's no Irish sport covered in the Times though, Monday to Saturday, bar whatever they are running in England.

I know. I buy it about three times a week. I like the opinion pieces. I love the football coverage. It's also tabloid and more managable than IT in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Gekko wrote: »
    Pricing isn’t great.

I'm shocked they're looking for €9.99/monthly for the Premium Sub or €13.99/monthly for the Premium+ Sub. I hope your right about new journalists and the quality improving, they need to get a lot better for that kind of money. That would be like paying for the The Journal app :rolleyes:

I have only recently downloaded the Irish Examiner,

I was thinking of getting a subscription for The Guardian, but I'm thinking I could ask here for a opinion on some papers to consider, I'm interested in news (Irish and international) no interest in Sport. I listed below a few that come to mind.

The Irish Indo at €9/Month

The Irish Times at €12/Month

The Times (UK) at €5/month

The Guardian at €7.49/Month

Independent (UK) at 10.99/month

Do Irish publishers have to pay VAT on digital subs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do Irish publishers have to pay VAT on digital subs?

Yes, but at the same rate as paper editions now (9%). Was 23% until whenever Budget 2019's VAT changes took place, probably April 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Don’t forget the weekly adventures of Holly Carpenter how can you miss out on hearing about what she got up to on New Year’s Eve?? Well worth the cost of the app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

When you see a headline like this, you know you were right not to subscribe:

"I'm the definition of fun - life after litigation for baroness of Ballsbridge Gayle Killilea".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Comhrá

"I'm the definition of fun - life after litigation for baroness of Ballsbridge Gayle Killilea".

Premium content, Yeah? Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If my deletion of the app wasnt justified before it certainly is now.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Cant see them getting good numbers at 9.99 a month and Im sure plenty are deleting the app when you cant read half the content anyway.

• Advertisement

Nearly 7k subscribers so far according to Indo boss https://twitter.com/pvdmeersch/status/1235556904656670721

Advertisement