Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TURKEY STOCK QUESTION

Options
  • 19-02-2020 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I have 12 litre pot of turkey stock on the brew - all the veg and spices etc.

Full day on the go.

From previous experience when I drain and cool overnight there will be a serious layer of solid fat on it.

What should I do with this.

Will be using a litre or so and freezing rest in batches,

Never sure should I just mix this back in for flavour or take it off.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Lots of flavour in the fat. Lift it off and refridgerate. Use it to fry the onions when you cook a chicken (or turkey!) dish, or, better yet, a chicken or onion soup.

Shmaltz is the Yiddish for the equivalent chicken fat. Too many hits :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭loco-colo

Thanks Tangy - not sure what too many hits means.

So I can use it for frying - like I usually mix olive / coconut / veg oil - just add it in.

Wasn't sure if it should be left in stock. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Yes, use it for frying.

If you search online for schmaltz, Google returns "About 2,500,000 results". That's too many for me, but it might be worth a glance at the first page :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I freeze the fat ... make little individual ones like stock cubes. Use a ice cube tray ( one with lid) and I use them for frying or soups.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭loco-colo

Great Thanks - Love and take pride in my stock - That fat is probably fantastic taste wise - I will put it to good use.

• Advertisement
Advertisement