Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of an Era...

• 19-02-2020 10:34am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Likely next Tuesday, the fighting game forum on boards.ie will be closed.

The threads will be merged with the main games forum, and the forum retired to the Attic.

At one point, this forum was an important part of my life, and something I spent a huge amount of time cultivating. It was a vibrant place and many friendships were forged in the heart of battle.

As the world of fighting games have changed, the possibility of keeping the communication in one centralised point like Boards has been reduced to zero. In one way this is great, everyone is invested when they feel ownership. In another, I worry about small scenes burning out because they don't feel attached to the main community when their key players move on.

Anyway, I love this old place, it's sad to see it go. But if people want to continue talking, there will be an FG megathread in the main games forum, and this place could be restored if people use.

But for now, tis goodbye. I'm the only mod of this forum here since its inception, and I am sad but proud to see it off into history.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sorry to hear that Doctor DooM :(

Never really got involved myself but always remember it being a very vibrant forum. Surprised to see it fall so quiet.

Where do people into Fighting Games go now? All off over on Facebook?

I saw a similar thing happen to the Airsoft forum a few years back, put an incredible amount of effort into that place over the years, it was huge at one point.

Completely dead in the water now due to Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,955 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Facebook, Twitter, and primarily Discord.

This place has been so great for the Irish fighting game scene.

We should spend the next few days turning it into a best of thread.

I'll start.

The Sandwich Match

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

o1s1n wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Doctor DooM :(

Never really got involved myself but always remember it being a very vibrant forum. Surprised to see it fall so quiet.

Where do people into Fighting Games go now? All off over on Facebook?

I saw a similar thing happen to the Airsoft forum a few years back, put an incredible amount of effort into that place over the years, it was huge at one point.

Completely dead in the water now due to Facebook.

It would take forever to explain. It's not just facebook: FGs are a world class esport so there is a constantly evolving melange of Facebook, Twitter, Twitch, and especially discord occupying everyone's online time.

If someone is considering competing internationally, and bear in mind there's no bottom level for that, they have to be out there, posting.

Personally I miss well moderated forums for gathering tech, but we are where we are.

The Irish scene itself has evolved and there is a much increased granularity to how people see themselves. I don't really see the need for a north-west Tekken community , but if people feel the need they will have it. Every game, every scene wants its own place.

Some people might think people like AJ and I are against this, but we're not. If we could just run Celtic Throwdown every year and not have any concerns about a self maintaining scene showing up we'd be all for that. I encourage people to take control of their scenes and push them further. I just have concerns new people might make mistakes we've made eons ago, and not have the critical mass we had to get through them.

God, if 10 year ago Brian could know Diago'd have been in Ireland multiple times, Sonic Fox, Bonchan... what would he have thought :D

Facebook, Twitter, and primarily Discord.

This place has been so great for the Irish fighting game scene.

We should spend the next few days turning it into a best of thread.

I'll start.

The Sandwich Match

Won't be long til it's all about parrot :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Let us never forget the tourney that nearly broke the IFGC, saved by a Honda main that time has forgotten

Evo Qualifier 2012 Trinity

• Advertisement

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Let us never forget the tourney that nearly broke the IFGC, saved by a Honda main that time has forgotten

Evo Qualifier 2012 Trinity

One of the nicest venues we ever had, just outside the city centre, on the dart line.

72 pre-registrations.

About 30 people showed up, and entered one game each!

Should have charged a higher flat fee, and allowed entry to all games, like Chunkis said, about five days before, after everything had already been set in stone. Classic Chunkis.

Doom was getting very nervous for his bank account in that Grand Final set, then Stev0 beasted.

Poor ProblemX, flew over, and got beat in SF, and got toyed with by Cobelcog in SFxT.

I remember Aaron and I discussing how few people turned up and how we'd manage paying. Aaron wanted to talk to Ben to see if he'd rather just take the cash, but I really didn't want someone leaving Ireland saying we wouldn't pay up, so I was committed to paying the grand extra myself.

Aaron talked to Stevo, who upon hearing this said "Ah yeah sure, I'll just body this future evo champ no bother, and save you the money". And he did. That's why you can hear Doyler on commentary saying "I've never seen Doom so hype"...

Stevo was an iceman. Never seen someone so composed under pressure. I can remember after one fraught match with Cobelcog in the exchange seeing him with his head against a wall sighing after. But never a drop of emotion during.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

That match is an IFGC classic. It should be on the application process. Hero.

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    That match is an IFGC classic. It should be on the application process. Hero.

One of the most important Irish FG matches, but it happened before we had much of a reach so it probably goes far too unnoticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Sad to see the fourm go but alas, a lot of people have moved on. I don't consider myself competitive anymore but I still try to keep myself a part of the scene and volunteer at CT, more so to see old friends and help in my own way.

I think it's worth pointing out through the IFGC was the first point where my online life and real life began to blur when I first attended an inferno back in 2010 having been in the community a few months, before that both lives were distinctly separate, mainly owing to distance in other communities I was involved, things like that.

It was a nice feeling having found somewhere local to me where well.... I could just be myself. I struggled for a long time with my sense of identity and this was the first time I truly felt comfortable in my own skin been around you lot.

For now though, I think I'll just leave this here;

https://youtu.be/2SEDOIau4_g

• Advertisement

First Baa Fights, Fergus v Ladno feelgood moment

I got to admit, I still hear the crowd chanting Gus's name and Onion hugging him like a bro. A real moment.

The second event I ever ran on my own, and I made sure there were no finals to mess up :D

This comment on one of the Day 1 Marvel 3 videos:
    @kyledoma tron and she hulk are clearly the worst of the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'll definitely miss this forum, thousands of posts in here :(

Glad to have found you guys, can't believe its been 10 years already.

I'll miss the XGC threads and pre-monthly hype threads and **** talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sadly the hype and **** threads stopped some time ago :(

Thanks to anyone who welcomed me at the XGC and showed me some bits and pieces with SF4 being my first fighting game and also being new and shy in Dublin. Was nice to be able to interview a couple of people for my thesis (which did very well). And thanks to those who made the jaunt to Limerick on occasion :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

Still think it's gas how I lived around the corner from AJ & Doom more or less my whole life and randomly stumbled across this forum

Well, gone tomorrow.

Been real!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

This forum has been influential to the IFGC's growth: Scheduling XGC casuals, talking **** to players who rightfully deserved it, (Who said cody's BP+M was a good footsie tool????)

This thread has some awesome memories and for me started when a Website lured me to an event at the exchange where I got bopped by Dwy in marvel and mixed up the names of 2 players which let to me **** talking a player to his face. Day 1 tech.

Shout outs to Aaron & Brian, without you 2 the scene would've never lived the dream of seeing Prop players face-to-face, Ireland would've never had a chance to compete with the beasts. It's a momentous task and the credit cannot but overstated: The scene is in a better place from both of your combined efforts.

Advertisement