Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sligo Rovers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Very valuable point last night v Shams. The revival continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Rally Around Rovers has raised over 60 grand in donations which will go some way to relieving the financial burden of sacking two managers in a year. In fairness we really do have an amazing support.

Baraclough sacked from the Motherwell job after losing to Morton in the Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Chelon

He's signed two or 3 good players but mostly duds, lost the dressing room and tactically lacking.

Got it 100% right in the 2 play off games vs Rangers but apart from that he's shown no progress at all. Real shame as his off the park stuff suited the club down to a T...

Excellent PR man but poor manager. Pity, he's a nice guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dk1979

Big PUSH needed by Rovers in their Final two games. Can they beat the drop. Final game vs Limerick looks like it could be a Winner takes all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

it was poor stuff on Sat Night, lack of fight in some players was disheartning to see

I suspect we're going down. Besides a few exceptions the players don't look to be in the slightest bit bothered. We've allowed some real mercenaries into the club and are about to pay the price for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

I suspect we're going down. Besides a few exceptions the players don't look to be in the slightest bit bothered. We've allowed some real mercenaries into the club and are about to pay the price for it.

Its a real shame when your in that position. When we were struggling for cash in and wages got cut at the end of 08 a player stood up and said 'half wages half effort'... For the last 3 games that's exactly what we got and blew a 7pts lead from relegation.... Sligo fans would be familiar with him too....
    I'm still hopeful ye keep clear, and we end up with drogs/galway... (obviously providing we clear ucd)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

overshoot wrote: »
    Its a real shame when your in that position. When we were struggling for cash in and wages got cut at the end of 08 a player stood up and said 'half wages half effort'... For the last 3 games that's exactly what we got and blew a 7pts lead from relegation.... Sligo fans would be familiar with him too....
    I'm still hopeful ye keep clear, and we end up with drogs/galway... (obviously providing we clear ucd)
    Parkhouse or holmes the only two I can think of that played for both around then. Both were ****e even at 100% effort so wouldn't have made much difference.

Still a nasty attitude to have. It's not as if LOI is being bankrolled by sugardaddy owners.

Well maybe Dundalk are. :p

Here we go again for 2016. Hope everyone gets out there to support the bit o red v Shams this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

red sean wrote: »
    Here we go again for 2016. Hope everyone gets out there to support the bit o red v Shams this evening.

0-1 down. Sadlier sent off. Be a long second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

red sean wrote: »
    0-1 down. Sadlier sent off. Be a long second half.

Was at the Liverpool U21 and Derry friendlies, both very entertaining. Unfortunately was unable to make last night, but was well impressed when heard over 3k attended.

Unfortunately the 2 nil loss shows that our new inexperienced side have a lot to learn about the LOI and that curve could be quite steep.

Going to be quite an interesting season. Hopefully we can regroup and bounce back for Bohs away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Not a great start again, long season ahead again, two big games coming up

• Advertisement

Not a great start again, long season ahead again, two big games coming up

Galway and Harps at home, previous seasons I would be confident. Not so sure now.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

we are riddled with injuries at the minute... id take a draw!

overshoot wrote: »
    we are riddled with injuries at the minute... id take a draw!

Match abandoned at a draw wirh 5 minutes to go, due to a floodlight failure.

League committee to decide in coming days if result stands or if will be replayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

5-1 to Limerick last night. Could be another long season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

Start of a new season for Sligo Rovers on Saturday week, 17th February with Limerick in the Showgrounds at 19.45. It is the 3000th game for the club, so to celebrate the milestone the club are trying to get 3000 people/supporters into the Showgrounds for the match. Will be some atmosphere if there is over 3000 there. Come to be one of them.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/865810976932609/

darman28 wrote: »
    Start of a new season for Sligo Rovers on Saturday week, 17th February with Limerick in the Showgrounds at 19.45. It is the 3000th game for the club, so to celebrate the milestone the club are trying to get 3000 people/supporters into the Showgrounds for the match. Will be some atmosphere if there is over 3000 there. Come to be one of them.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/865810976932609/

Been a while since we go over 3000 for a league match. Cant make it my self.

Just incase you were not aware, former Sligo Great (in my own opinion) Paul 'Cookie' Cook, is up against Man City tonight, with Wigan Athletic, in the FA Cup. UP THE LATICS!!

What a fantastic win for Wigan. Cooks cv is getting better and better!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    What a fantastic win for Wigan. Cooks cv is getting better and better!

Could do with him back for Derry City this weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tinpib

Huge improvement last night. Far more urgency and better play overall. Thought Cawley was very good, Pincelli showed he has a good left foot but still needs to do more. McCabe always dangerous. Morgan did next to nothing bar bundle the ball over the line. I like that Roy guy.

New Keeper's kicks were very dodgy but he is a monster. Very nervy last 5 mins after conceding. decent crowd at 2300, but it's shocking that no record is made of season ticket holders going through the trunstyles. Scan the tickets and get the data, seemingly it's not just at the Showgrounds.

Looking forward to Monday, the optimisim has returned. Last Saturday was grim, the 3 signings during the week It hink have given us a huge boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

tinpib wrote: »
    Huge improvement last night. Far more urgency and better play overall. Thought Cawley was very good, Pincelli showed he has a good left foot but still needs to do more. McCabe always dangerous. Morgan did next to nothing bar bundle the ball over the line. I like that Roy guy.

New Keeper's kicks were very dodgy but he is a monster. Very nervy last 5 mins after conceding. decent crowd at 2300, but it's shocking that no record is made of season ticket holders going through the trunstyles. Scan the tickets and get the data, seemingly it's not just at the Showgrounds.

Looking forward to Monday, the optimisim has returned. Last Saturday was grim, the 3 signings during the week It hink have given us a huge boost.

Too early to say the optimism has returned, I think, but the bolded is pretty much exactly as I saw it. It's early season but fitness levels don't look up to scratch. Thought the new keeper made two excellent saves in the first half. Looks a decent signing on last night's work.

Did you see the blatent simulation by Pincelli? Correctly didn't get the free, then the red mist descended and he cleaned a Derry guy out of it, then immediately went to apologise and shake his hand. He kinda needs to learn more about football 'culture' over here, but will give him time.

When I talk about optimisi I'm talking about my optimisim, and it has definitely returned. :)

A good perfromance on Monday and I'll be happy, even if we lose.

New season started tonight, new players, new Management at the Bit ORed. Should we re resurrect this thread?

Sligo giving away an early Penalty to Dundalk, thankfully saved.

Hopefully Buckley, an experienced LoI manager can give us a boost again, although looks like we could have a long night at The Oriel.

Oh, and they're on RTE right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭mosstin

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    New season started tonight, new players, new Management at the Bit ORed. Should we re resurrect this thread?

Sligo giving away an early Penalty to Dundalk, thankfully saved.

Hopefully Buckley, an experienced LoI manager can give us a boost again, although looks like we could have a long night at The Oriel.

Oh, and they're on RTE right now!

Very decent point.

Great defensive display, brilliant result. McGinty man of the match, lost count of his saves. Bring on the Showgrounds this Friday, lets pack it out.

Great defensive display, brilliant result. McGinty man of the match, lost count of his saves. Bring on the Showgrounds this Friday, lets pack it out.

Kept us in it. Redeemed him self after the early penalty scare. Kids/family event friday night.

Lots going on for the first game of the season at the Showgrounds against St Pats this Friday. Can we break the 3K again??
    https://www.sligorovers.com/st-pats-game-this-friday/

Two defeats on the bounce and both at home. Scant consolation but Cork and Pats are not the sides we will be worrying about in the final table. Away to Harps will be the one that really tells the story as to whether 2019 is going to be another battle in the trenches.

Ya, the Pats game was a complete sickener, no way did we deserve to lose. It was a dour 0:0 between two evenly matched teams really.

But yes, the 8 games against Finn Harps and UCD are what this season is all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Nice tribute to Gerry (Swampy) at the weekend.

52688526_993030101085316_2883000697270304768_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=586afd7aa2b6e3a58776b77f187b03e4&oe=5CDA0EF1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Away to Harps will be the one that really tells the story as to whether 2019 is going to be another battle in the trenches.
    Yup, we're going to kick your asses on Friday night ;)

muffler wrote: »
    Yup, we're going to kick your asses on Friday night ;)

What happened to the Arse kicking?

:D

Great to get first win of season under our belts. On wards and upwards.

• Advertisement

What happened to the Arse kicking?
    Dont annoy me when Im eating humble pie :o

Got to my first game of the season last night, and after beating Dundalk at the weekend, I expected slightly better. Other than a few chances, not a very exciting game.

On one hand, surprised no Delaney protests, but then with talk of fines, and fans being ejected from games, it would appear that the FAI attempting to silence its followers of The LOI, is working.

:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭secman

Got to my first game of the season last night, and after beating Dundalk at the weekend, I expected slightly better. Other than a few chances, not a very exciting game.

On one hand, surprised no Delaney protests, but then with talk of fines, and fans being ejected from games, it would appear that the FAI attempting to silence its followers of The LOI, is working.

:(:(

Not in Dundalk, or St Pats, they definitely were vocal against F fcuk A all I integrity

Rovers are through to the next round of the FAI cup.
    Playing Limerick in the Showgrounds on Saturday 24th August at 8pm.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/598535577219066/

The 2020 season is nearly upon us.
    If you want an app to help you keep up to date on the Sligo Rovers 2020 fixtures

https://www.sligorovers.com/download-fixtures-to-your-phone-and-e-mail-calendar/

With 2020 upon us, it’s time to get planning your Sligo Rovers season.

Download the fixtures for the first-team to your smart phone and Outlook account here.

Click on the link below and add to calendar

iPhone: www.sligorovers.com/calendar/first-team-fixtures?feed=sp-ical

Android: www.sligorovers.com/calendar/first-team-fixtures?feed=sp-ical

Google: http://www.google.com/calendar/render?cid=webcal%3A%2F%2Fwww.sligorovers.com%2Fcalendar%2Ffirst-team-fixtures%3Ff

• Advertisement

Sligo Rovers V St Pats this Friday 21st Feb, for the first home game of the season. KO 7.45pm
    https://www.facebook.com/events/157749122312561/

Sligo Rovers V St Pats this Friday 21st Feb, for the first home game of the season. KO 7.45pm
    https://www.facebook.com/events/157749122312561/
    How did the team do last Friday night? ;)

Probably the weakest squad we've had since promotion in '05. If some quality isn't added - up front, especially - then another relegation scrap is likely on the cards.

Probably the weakest squad we've had since promotion in '05. If some quality isn't added - up front, especially - then another relegation scrap is likely on the cards.
    Yes replacements for both Parkes & Mahon are needed before the transfer window closes. I heard the someone has put in a claim against Sligo Rovers and it has eaten into the available funds for signing more players, so I hear tell anyway.
    Hopefully there is a better performance this Friday at home against Pats, performance against Harps was meant to be every poor, like the result.

Another piss poor start to the season. We've been flirting with disaster for the last five years and I suspect this is the season when all the misguided decisions of those five years finally come home to roost.

We became a revolving door of bad managers and pissed away an absolute fortune in the process. The ultimate irony is that we finally installed a decent manager but have only a fraction of the transfer budget to offer him thanks to the parade of clueless gob****es who preceded him.

/rant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement