Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toyota Prius Aqua

• 10-02-2020 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all, just looking for advice on a Toyota Prius the Aqua japanese import model, I'm interested in buying one as I've seen loads of them around for nice prices, anyone have one of these? Looking to know are they good reliable cars & can I get them serviced etc without any bother? My Dad told me they don't do the Aqua model in Ireland so the parts would be hard to come by, is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

The Prius is infinitely reliable.

And I’d imagine parts won’t be an issue.
    Parts, as in servicing parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kittie123

Thanks for the reply. Yeh I did hear great things about the Prius in general but my Dad has put me off this version of it, its slightly smaller than the regular Prius I think, but I take it they'd all be pretty much the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Kittie123 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Yeh I did hear great things about the Prius in general but my Dad has put me off this version of it, its slightly smaller than the regular Prius I think, but I take it they'd all be pretty much the same?

The running gear/hybrid system is the same. It is just in a smaller hatchback configuration like the Auris and CT200h. Service parts should be plentiful as a result but availability of body panels may be an issue if the event of a prang.
    If the price is good and it suits your needs then I wouldn't worry but just be aware of the possibilities too. :)

Miscreant wrote: »
    The running gear/hybrid system is the same. It is just in a smaller hatchback configuration like the Auris and CT200h. Service parts should be plentiful as a result but availability of body panels may be an issue if the event of a prang.
    If the price is good and it suits your needs then I wouldn't worry but just be aware of the possibilities too. :)

That's great thanks! Think I might just go for it, I hate being put off something I really like!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it using the second gen Prius 1.5 engine?

OP, check insurance as - being a Japanese Domestic Market model, it might be dearer than you think.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is it using the second gen Prius 1.5 engine?

OP, check insurance as - being a Japanese Domestic Market model, it might be dearer than you think.

It doesn't mention in the ad it just says 2014 Toyota Aqua (Prius) 1.5 Hybrid automatic, is second gen engine bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It doesn't mention in the ad it just says 2014 Toyota Aqua (Prius) 1.5 Hybrid automatic, is second gen engine bad?

Sorry, it was more a query for someone who might be familiar with them. Later Prius’s, Auris hybrids etc have a 1.8 engine, and the older Prius has a 1.5 - was curious as to whether it was the old setup carried over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Aqua shares the powertrain with the Yaris Hybrid sold in Europe, which is based on the 2nd generation Prius (with the 1.5 litre engine as above). It's not the same as the Auris Hybrid or CT200h, which use the powertrain from the 3rd generation Prius, but it's a smaller car so still fairly efficient - more like a Nissan Note or Honda Jazz/Fit in size. It's a big seller in Japan.

Note the Japanese model is "Toyota Aqua" with no "Prius" in the name (the seller just put that in the ad) - it was sold in North America, Australia/NZ and some other export markets as the "Prius c" but not in Europe where we had the locally-built Yaris Hybrid instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi all, just looking for advice on a Toyota Prius the Aqua japanese import model, I'm interested in buying one as I've seen loads of them around for nice prices, anyone have one of these? Looking to know are they good reliable cars & can I get them serviced etc without any bother? My Dad told me they don't do the Aqua model in Ireland so the parts would be hard to come by, is this true?

Aqua tinny,tiny boot, MPG not great for such a small car,was looking at one but went back to an Insight,,,,normal Prius is your man, or Honda fit hybrid

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It would be a Ford Fiesta, Renault Clio sized car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, it's a supermini

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Vika123

Hi did you got the car at the end? Any problems with insurance?

Vika123 wrote: »
    Hi did you got the car at the end? Any problems with insurance?

Hi there, I ended up going for a Honda Insight, & it brought my insurance cost down which I was delighted with, not to mention the much cheaper road tax then what I was paying before!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Hi there, I ended up going for a Honda Insight, & it brought my insurance cost down which I was delighted with, not to mention the much cheaper road tax then what I was paying before!

How you finding this now a year later?

Newport81 wrote: »
    How you finding this now a year later?

Hi, i love it its a great car! Would recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi, i love it its a great car! Would recommend it!

Likewise, I’m on my second one

Advertisement