Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x04 - "Absolute Candour" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Anyone catch the little head tilt thing that Soji did as she was walking with Narek to the "Borg Ritual"?
    Was very reminiscent of Data when he would find thing "curious" :)

A nice touch by Jonathon Frakes, I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,731 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

As bad as anything Discovery has produced.

Was hoping for a sign of immediate improvement, but it's just continuing its slide from its middling opener.

Highlights.....probably the reaction of Picard when transported back onboard, plus maybe seeing the Bird of Prey.
    Lowlights.....everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

fritzelly wrote: »
    Weird most thought last weeks episode was slow and this week great and I'm the opposite
    Really thought we would get to the story this week but it was just another set up episode
    The whole recruiting took up too much of the episode and how did the they destroy the bird of prey so easy - just ripped thru its wing. Even in TNG that wouldn't haven't happened
    Thought that whole part was very sloppy to just introduce Seven

Yes I agree the BOP was destroyed to easy but otherwise I felt the space battle was the best part of this episode and was delighted vto see Seven.
    Rawr wrote: »
    This threw me off a little too. It felt less like Jean Luc Picard, and more like Patrick Steward himself who had gone to help the Romulans in those scenes. They were still good scenes...but that wasn't Picard.

All-round OK episode, with my main complaint being the scenes on the Cube. They teased us with a possible reveal of what the Borg had done to that transport ship, which hasn't paid off yet. Teased us with a Borg "ritual" which was just a setup. Instead we get a continuation of a romance angle that frankly is quite boring.

Also more of the cartoonishly evil double agent sister; who I'm also currently bored of:
    "Get that information out of Soji, or I will use my *evil* to extract it from her!! MU HA HA HA HAAAA!"
    It's just....I don't care....she's far too 2-Dimensional

I like her.
    I said something similar.

As far as story progression we should be at 2 of 10. Not 4 of 10. And I could write a more plausible way to introduce 7 of 9.

Maybe a few less sex scenes of Soji and the Romulan(who we already know is bad), and less JL-chick bemoaning her loss of career and there might be more room.

Visually, a Romulan Samurai bodyguard looks great, but I can't help think of the scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, with the sword wielding attacker and Indy just shoots him.

And I could write a more plausible way to introduce 7 of 9.

I thought the way they introduced Seven was good and even do I guessed it was her there was still a big smile on my face when she came onboard.

It reminded me of ''Lord Of the Rings'' the first film.
    Yester wrote: »
    As long as one good thing happens every episode, I'm happy enough. This week it was Seven of Nine.

And the space fight. The rest of the episode was a slog but it was worth it for the spacefight and for Seven coming onboard.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That’s the first one that I’ve liked so far.

Also, 4 weeks in, there has never been a more needed ’skip intro’ button.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I liked it more than last week's but that's not saying much. Raffi is still a bad actor. And she's been joined by the Australian samurai Romulan.

Chabon and Duff are terrible writers. But they haven't made it easy for themselves by pulling Picard out of Starfleet. I pointed out months ago that one of the biggest challenges this show faced was getting Picard right. Like most of the characters on the various shows, his character was defined by the uniform, the ship and its crew. Star Trek has always been a show about Starfleet officers. The fact that the post-Berman shows have frequently confused Starfleet and the Federation isn't really surprising given that we got little sense of what the Federation was really like. Anytime the shows/films tried to show us the non-Starfleet world of the 23rd/24th century the results have been mixed.

I admire this show for trying to build a fuller picture of the universe and exploring who Picard is out of the uniform/ship/crew of TNG, but it comes across less like the producers wanting to explore new territory and more like them simply not being particularly familiar with the previous shows and wanting to avoid the continuity as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Sparko

fritzelly wrote: »
    Weird most thought last weeks episode was slow and this week great and I'm the opposite
    Really thought we would get to the story this week but it was just another set up episode
    The whole recruiting took up too much of the episode and how did the they destroy the bird of prey so easy - just ripped thru its wing. Even in TNG that wouldn't haven't happened
    Thought that whole part was very sloppy to just introduce Seven

Wasn't that Romulan ship the kind that was around during Kirk's era? So quite dated by the time of this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

I think it was the clean cut through the wing, phaser damage used to be more indiscriminate vapourising.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That’s the first one that I’ve liked so far.

Also, 4 weeks in, there has never been a more needed ’skip intro’ button.

There is a skip into

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

There is a skip into

I know there is. I meant I thought the intro might grow on me but it’s horrendous.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sparko wrote: »
    Wasn't that Romulan ship the kind that was around during Kirk's era? So quite dated by the time of this show?

It's about a century old, and gets called out as an antique in the episode. Star Trek Online refers to them as a T'liss class, but that's isn't full canon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I know there is. I meant I thought the intro might grow on me but it’s horrendous.

It reminds me of the show 'Fringe'

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Anytime the shows/films tried to show us the non-Starfleet world of the 23rd/24th century the results have been mixed.

Like Insurrection!

Yeah, anything outside of Starfleet comes across as a little like fantasy than science fiction... the difference between Star Trek and Star Wars.

There is hope for some good character interaction as the show goes along. As mentioned previously, Dr. Jurati has been underutilised since episode one.

Haven't looked at next weeks promo, but we seem to be getting a new character each week for Picard to interact with. Teasing old character returns has been a feature and, IMO, is a disingenuous way of raising the anticipation of fans as we build towards the end of the series. I don't think viewers are invested enough in the actual storyline as they are with seeing old faces and nods to the Trek universe we know.

TBH though, it would just be nice to see a familiar looking starship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

velo.2010 wrote: »
    If it was going to be crewed by holgrams anyway not Han Solo could have acquired an old Starfleet ship, maybe even a constellation class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

- why does everyone always play bach cello prelude 1 from the suites. Have you not heard how awesome the rest is

- jay ell

- 'tell central station it's me' 'yeah they weren't impressed' - they're really driving home this "picard isn't cool anymore" thing

- who's the romulan elf. Ahh it's the young lad. Hahaha he's an elf now

- really like soji's makeup
    - not much candour going in with yer wan
    - young lad is gona show up and save picard now.. There he is
    - pls stop saying "bind yourself to my cause"

- ahhhhh seven of nine!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It reminds me of the show 'Fringe'

Looooove the intro to fringe so much!i actually keep thinking bsg when i hear the picard intro

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I did laugh at the unintentional hilariry that the big "Borg ritual", complete with an overblown romantic musical score, was sliding around on the floor in your socks :D

Ms

Originally Posted by velo.2010 View Post

Yes me too.

Evade wrote: »
    If it was going to be crewed by holgrams anyway not Han Solo could have acquired an old Starfleet ship, maybe even a constellation class.

Or a Miranda class ship.

Even a Nova class ship would have been cool.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I liked this week's episode and was in the dark regarding who would beam over, so that was some nice anticipation of which old face it would be.

My only issue is any scene that takes place on the Borg cube, as soon as it's on screen I cringe and zone out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Still finding it pretty meh. I had hopes of more exploration of the issues with the Romulan diaspora but this felt rushed.

Borg Cube stuff was awful this episode.

I just want some ****ing new Star Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭pah

Its poor overall IMO

• Advertisement

I feel that Stewart was induced to sign on with a pitch something like "Shakespeare's The Tempest in Space". It's not The Tempest and the scriptwriters ain't no wordsmiths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I liked it more than last week's but that's not saying much. Raffi is still a bad actor. And she's been joined by the Australian samurai Romulan.

Chabon and Duff are terrible writers.

I wouldn't agree with that about Chabon, because I've read his novels and he's a very accomplished, talented author IMO. Perhaps screenwriting, or screenwriting for Trek isn't his forte, or is maybe inexperienced, but I don't think it's as glib or simple to say he's a bad writer. His winning of the Pulitzer, Hugo and Nebula awards say otherwise. Can't speak to Duff but there's good pedigree and the gaps are coming from something else IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Slydice wrote: »
    Oh that was so much fun!

Opposite to Vulcans! Wahey! :D Of course the Romulans have opposite to Vulcans!
    Though.. Yer man looks like a Legolas style elf from LOTR!

Anyway, enjoyed that finishing up battle and intro to Seven! Great Intro! :)

Narek is very like a the young Spock on Discovery.

I always worry when sci-fi particularly starts off slowly as audiences dont have a whole lot of patience, expecting a new series to be like former shows. Stargate Universe is a good example, it was just getting interesting but got cancelled as it was a slow burner and people switched off because it wasnt like the previous 2 SG series.

Picard is doing a whole lot of setting things up, if I had any major criticism its that the episodes seem too short but that could be because I'm enjoying it too. Likewise with The Mandalorian - its doing so much laying the ground work that the season finishes just as it gets going. Added to that is getting used to full seasons being released. Its a pain having to wait for 30-45 minutes weekly lol and there is no point on waiting until the season finishes and binge as its impossible to avid spoilers!

I should add, considering Voyager ended 20 years ago Seven of Nine still has it!!!

Ms

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Narek is very like a the young Spock on Discovery.

I always worry when sci-fi particularly starts off slowly as audiences dont have a whole lot of patience, expecting a new series to be like former shows. Stargate Universe is a good example, it was just getting interesting but got cancelled as it was a slow burner and people switched off because it wasnt like the previous 2 SG series.

Picard is doing a whole lot of setting things up, if I had any major criticism its that the episodes seem too short but that could be because I'm enjoying it too. Likewise with The Mandalorian - its doing so much laying the ground work that the season finishes just as it gets going. Added to that is getting used to full seasons being released. Its a pain having to wait for 30-45 minutes weekly lol and there is no point on waiting until the season finishes and binge as its impossible to avid spoilers!

I should add, considering Voyager ended 20 years ago Seven of Nine still has it!!!

Its a pain having to wait for 30-45 minutes weekly lol and there is no point on waiting until the season finishes and binge as its impossible to avid spoilers!

I disagree with that and look forward to each episode every week. If the whole season had been released in one go I doubt there would be as much traffic in the Star Trek Forum now and I think must people here would be disapointed that we did not get to chat about an episode at a time.
    A case in point is ''Lost in Space' I think if that had been relased as one or even two episodes a week it would have done better than the whole season been dropped in one go. Season 1 seemed to do ok but season two not so good and if Picard had been dropped like that I think it would have been the same. It would not have got as many people talking about it and nor would there have been as many people subscribbing to Amazon to see it either. '

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Patience is not one of my strong points!! ;p

Ms

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Patience is not one of my strong points!! ;p

I find the week flys by between episodes as long as your busy. Don't give yourself time to be borred and sure you forget it was a week since the last episode was out.

Have you watched Lost In Space season 1 and 2? You could check them out in between each episode if you have not seen it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Picard getting stabbed through the heart from behind.
    Varon-T disruptor.
    I remember a few scenes with aliens being killled with their skulls cracked open and brains on view.

The most gruesome moment for me had to be the transporter accident in Star Trek: TMP. And they say Lt. Barclay was the irrational one for being terrified to get into one...

The zero-g Klingon executions scene in "the undiscovered country" would rate up there as well.

Or brain controlling space slugs in "Wrath of Khan". There was some gruesome scene with the alien flora/fauna on the Genesis planet in "the search for spock" as well that I've pretty much blacked out, need to look it up again.

No shortage of gore in the orginal material anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So we're 4 episodes down and have only just assembled the crew. We're certainly taking our time.

After a strong opening episode, it's fast dropping into familiar Discovery territory in regards look, tone and "complex" characters that don't seem particularly likeable - they even have their own "science geek" version of Tilly!

I don't get why the Romulan Empire, which was technologically on-par with the Federation, has been reduced to living in poverty (no replicators? The Fed even gave them to the Cardassians if they'd been stuck!) and why the refugees are still living that way 15 years later.
    Also WTF was Picard wearing when he beamed down during the flashback? Why not his Admiral's uniform? (maybe the suggestions that last week's flashback was a hasty insert were right), and why does the young fella look like something from LOTR? Is it too much to expect that Romulans look like Romulans? (still this is the same production group that gave us the Discovery "Klingons" So I suppose it could have been worse!)

The Borg cube stuff I can't figure out except that Narek is the most un-Romulan ever (although most of the new generation seem to fit that description as well).
    I inadvertently had something about him spoiled earlier too which if true is just nonsense!
    . The weird vibe between him and his sister seems to have been lifted from GoT.

I'm disappointed. I really was looking forward to this show, and I thought it got off to a decent start... but it's been falling from there :( Picard/Stewart is about all that's keeping me watching at the moment (and the cameos from the TNG/VOY crew) - but even he seems very "off", even in the flashback scenes which were only a few years after Nemesis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That LotR Elf they just introduced is a jump-the-shark moment. I hate their ship aswell, bland generic Mass Effect/videogame looking thing. How entertaining would it be to have had Picard and crew tearing off in an old mothballed Constitution Class or Bird of Prey? You could ge whole eps out of just keeping it flying. 4 eps in and we're well into dud territory Im afraid.

Advertisement