Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Dennis ** Please read Mod Note in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11am
    Belmullet gusting 61 knots (113km/h)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

And just like that, blue calm skies over west Galway again after hail and lightning. Saw my first fork lightning in the longest time

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The charts in general just showing coastal areas getting the strongest gusts, windy inland and a few big squally gusts.

The strongest winds inland from the afternoon.

Had 24mm here yesterday, 1.8mm so far today from heavy showers, gust to 77 km/h, good sunny spells thankfully after the grey of yesterday.

7.9C

Winds SW

anim_ifa5.gif

arpegeuk-52-20-0_xmm5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Cody montana

I walked into Cork city centre.
    It’s glorious outside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Orange warning in effect in Limerick since 10am. You wouldn't think it. Met Eireann ruining my plans again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

leavingirl wrote: »
    Orange warning in effect in Limerick since 10am. You wouldn't think it. Met Eireann ruining my plans again.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Some big hailstones in west Galway. The showers are nasty. Wondering will I get my 5k done without getting soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

flexcon wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/ydzxg

Cork a few mins ago.

I have motion detection on and it glitched right as the lightning struck. You can actually hear the window vibrating off against the lens. Loudest bang I ever heard honestly!

Nice, any video I have ever made of lightning strikes have that click and interference on them. I was leaning against the patio door the other day and could feel it vibrating from the thunder, it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Dennis lite here in South Tipp but it's getting dark now so full fat Dennis could be en route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Breezy with showers in Letterkenny, somehow this is worthy of being the top story in the news. Met Eireann seriously need to reevaluate their warning system, I've spoken to plenty of people recently who've lost all confidence in them over all these hyped up 'storms'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have an orange warning in North Donegal at present. From 10am to 10pm.

Its nearly noon and the kids are heading now for a walk down by the beach. Its a lovely day, sun out. Hardly any wind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Dennis lite here in South Tipp but it's getting dark now so full fat Dennis could be en route

You're probably getting what us in Clare Kerry and Galway had earlier, sun's out here again.

Check out Bens Surf cam Lahinch

Look how dark it is....

Check out Bens Surf cam Lahinch

Look how dark it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Irish Weather Online live in Doolin WOWZERS
    Still bright in Meath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Breezy with showers in Letterkenny, somehow this is worthy of being the top story in the news. Met Eireann seriously need to reevaluate their warning system, I've spoken to plenty of people recently who've lost all confidence in them over all these hyped up 'storms'

To be honest I think people are all stormed out. They are taking little interest in the storm warnings. There was little or no talk about Dennis locally (Galway). People know the score and are just prepared to let it happen but life goes on.

The only time people get 'agitated' about a storm nowadays is when a possible Red warning will give them a day off. :D Weekend storms don't count :pac:

I love storms myself so this forum and the warning system is just perfect for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Just in from a round of golf here in Meath, sunny with only one short squall! If you were just looking out the window you'd think it was a lovely day!

Kutebride wrote: »
    Still bright in Meath.

Some fireworks now there id say

• Registered Users Posts: 13,070 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Storm blowing up dramatically on the Dingle Peninsula. From partly cloudy and bright to hail and very strong breeze in the last 15 minutes. Hopefully the network connection stays up. Overall, feeling like yesterday was worse than today up till now, but just as bad as yesterday right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭endainoz

Kutebride wrote: »
    Still bright in Meath.

Pity he missed high tide, must have been on the pints last night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Midday

Mace head gusting 65 knots (120km/h)
    Shannon gusting 62 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Was a lovely day here in Meath but just got hit with strong gusts and a very heavy shower of rain, hail and wet snow in that order while walking on hill of Tara. Sun out again. Typical winters day I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I think this is worse than ciara, certainly here in East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Andrew00 wrote: »
    I think this is worse than ciara, certainly here in East Galway

Sudden ramp in sustained winds with some meaty gusts in East Galway, some Mammatus overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,731 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Storm Dennis: month's worth of rain falls on south Wales in 48 hours
    https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2020/storm-dennis-triggers-red-rain-warning
    Situation was said to be particularly 'life-threatening' in South Wales,
    where the UK Met Office issued the red warning due to heavy rainfall and flooding risk.
    It is the first red warning issued for rain since 2015.
    https://twitter.com/johncurtinEA/status/1229009897326555136

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭savj2

A real increase in winds in Mullingar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

zell12 wrote: »
    Storm Dennis: month's worth of rain falls on south Wales in 48 hours

Two deaths also. Sea rescues. So far we are very lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Winds picked up in cork city. Black clouds piling in from the west

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noelmcgov28

North West along the Cavan/Leitrim border. Very calm here despite the odd gust of wind and rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Analysis at midday. 932 hPa, right as forecast.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020021612_000.png

503032.png

Advertisement