Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ferries with ev charging

• 13-02-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking only the WB Yeats and Ulysses have on board charging?

Anyone ever used them?
    If so, how many points to they have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Not sure about Ulysses but the Oscar Wilde does and presumably the WB Yeats. Used the charges on the OW before, can’t recall how many they have but definitely a couple. You need to be at check in prior to it opening as you need to board ship first if intending to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bodgerfederer

i used the Ulysses when i brought my ev back from the uk.

It was class - told to skip the queue and drive past everyone to the front of the ferry. i was sat down in the lounge with my car charging before most people had even parked up. and it's free!

they had at least 4 pod points and maybe 8 - the captain was chatting to me as they'd just put them in.

untethered though so don't forget your type2 cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Were you the only EV there that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bodgerfederer

NIMAN wrote: »
    Were you the only EV there that day?

Yep. I thought I’d booked a charge point but was told at check in that they had no record of it. No matter, the check in girl made a quick call then told me to drive to the front of the queue with my hazards on. Boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

Don't think Stena offer this. They didn't last October when I imported my EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭User1998

Genghis wrote: »
    Don't think Stena offer this. They didn't last October when I imported my EV.

When booking they ask do you have an EV so I assume they do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Stena’s site says they don’t at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

Yeats has 2 on the upper deck (diagonally opposite), you need own cable.
    The one I used also had a 16 amp industrial socket beside it to if you only have a granny lead.

There was an option to reserve for elec or phev when booking.
    Have just booked to France with Irish ferries but charge points are for electric only no PHEV.

Met another guy on the boat with a 330e but had not been given the type 2 by his dealer so check.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking only the WB Yeats and Ulysses have on board charging?

Anyone ever used them?
    If so, how many points to they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

sgalvin wrote: »
    Yeats has 2 on the upper deck (diagonally opposite), you need own cable.
    The one I used also had a 16 amp industrial socket beside it to if you only have a granny lead.

There was an option to reserve for elec or phev when booking.
    Have just booked to France with Irish ferries but charge points are for electric only no PHEV.

Met another guy on the boat with a 330e but had not been given the type 2 by his dealer so check.

That's great, would be a terrible waste if a PHEV would use up a charging point for someone that needs it in a BEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

redcup342 wrote: »
    That's great, would be a terrible waste if a PHEV would use up a charging point for someone that needs it in a BEV.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Why?

Ehh... because a bev may have just made it to the ferry with a limited amount of power, the phev can drive on fuel, the bev cannot drive.

Ehh... because a bev may have just made it to the ferry with a limited amount of power, the phev can drive on fuel, the bev cannot drive.

If I land up with my PHEV I'll charge it before someone with a BEV first up best dressed I don't get the attitude in these threads of BEV drivers you made the choice of reduced range I want to use my ICE as little as possible so will use charging facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Hi I used charging on the way back from Cherbourg to Dublin last summer on the WB Yeats.

1. Need to get to port early
    2. On checkin when you tell them you are electric and ask for charging they will give you a different colour tag for window.
    3. This puts you in a different lane for going on the ferry.
    4. I was there with only a tesla S also.
    5. They will put you on the ferry first so if you are not early this will not happen and you will not get charge
    6. Its a type two untethered siemens charger. Looks to be 4 one in each corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If I land up with my PHEV I'll charge it before someone with a BEV first up best dressed I don't get the attitude in these threads of BEV drivers you made the choice of reduced range I want to use my ICE as little as possible so will use charging facilities.

How long does it take your PHEV's battery to reach full charge?

MJohnston wrote: »
    How long does it take your PHEV's battery to reach full charge?

Approx 3. 5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Charged on Irish Ferries on way back from UK with my Tesla S.
    Rate of charge v low, 15a single phase but it added enough of a buffer to make sure I got home safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Why?

Because it's an 18 1/2 hour crossing and a PHEV only takes a hours to charge, so the charger would be of no use for the majority of the crossing.

BEV uses the resource much more effectively, hence why they have the policy I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Because it's an 18 1/2 hour crossing and a PHEV only takes a hours to charge, so the charger would be of no use for the majority of the crossing.

BEV uses the resource much more effectively, hence why they have the policy I would guess.

And a good policy too, rewards those who go all out for the environment and not just half way, a choice they made when buying.

I'm using the holyhead ferry I wouldn't be a bad bastard and take it on a French ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm using the holyhead ferry I wouldn't be a bad bastard and take it on a French ferry

You were replying to someone who was specifically talking about the ferry to France though.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    You were replying to someone who was specifically talking about the ferry to France though.

I didn't know obviously otherwise I would not have posted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

I didn't know obviously otherwise I would not have posted

Crazy to think that people would read the thread they want to have a little rant on alright. Seems like you're looking to have an argument with BEV drivers from the way you posted.

SteM wrote: »
    Crazy to think that people would read the thread they want to have a little rant on alright. Seems like you're looking to have an argument with BEV drivers from the way you posted.

Nah just your interpretation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭markpb

I charged on an Irish Ferries ship when I was importing my EV a few months ago. They realised on the ship that they had directed me to the wrong deck, stopped all the boarding so I could reverse back and up a ramp onto a different deck that was (and remained) completely empty for the entire sailing. Then they forgot about me so I was sitting like a lemon on the deck on my own. I ended up running up and down several flights of stairs and along a different car deck looking for a crew member to let me disembark. By then, everyone else had left so I was left driving around a poorly lit and un-signposted part of the port trying to find the exit.

Fun times.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Just think, the bunker fuel used on the ferry to charge your car probably makes that one of the most ecologically damaging charge of your car in its lifetime.
    I charged on the W.B. Yeats going to Holyhead, worth it just for the queue skipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly I recommend fast charging before you get ferry, just in case. There is fast chargers in Dublin port and Wexford.

In terms of ferries here are some photos on plugshare app if you pick the location of Dublin port. Some people report issues with connectors (type 2 tethered only pod point on some ferries) and cars giving errors (ships are earthed differently) particularly a Zoe. As said try to pick the option when booking, remind them when checking in, and again tell them when going into the queue lanes and up the ramp. Some people asked for engineer to help source adapters for charging and others granny charged instead of using official EV charger.

If you fast charge before arriving then there is less panic involved. Please update plugshare app with status, photos and tips

https://www.irishferries.com/ie-en/frequently-asked-questions/general-information/electric-cars/

liamog wrote: »
    Just think, the bunker fuel used on the ferry to charge your car probably makes that one of the most ecologically damaging charge of your car in its lifetime.
    I charged on the W.B. Yeats going to Holyhead, worth it just for the queue skipping!
    The bunker fuel is being used anyway, it's not going to notice 5kWh extra :P

Some of us don't actually care about the ecomentalists anyway, driving an EV doesnt mean that you use recycled bog roll or that

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Wingding80

Does anyone know what the story is with speedy exit if you are charging on wb yeats ferry to France? I am hopefully travelling in autumn with my parents who are extremely impatient people! :) they always insist on getting speedy exit but I see you cannot book speedy exit if you book an ev spot. Do they sit you there until the end? My parents would drive me insane with their moaning if that was the case…

We got on first but left last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Wingding80 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with speedy exit if you are charging on wb yeats ferry to France?

Had no issues either boarding or disembarking recently................

U6rX4AS.jpg

Voltage was low though - dropped to 195v so I had to drop the charge rate to 12 amps or so after the car stopped charging with an error. Luckily it alerted on the app & I was able to restart it but it could well have sat there for the duration, connected but not charging.

Advertisement