Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 step verification on Facebook issue

Options
  • 12-02-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

I have 2 step verification enabled on my account. My issue is that my phone that i had the authenticator app installed on unexpectedly died and i cannot access the app anymore. I am also logged out of Facebook on my computer so cannot access it that way.
    I have emailed Facebook several times to ask them to disable the 2 step but have just received an automated unhelpfull response.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Did you backup the recovery codes when setting up 2FA? They will get you back in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

I'm afraid not. The replies from Facebook have included recovery codes but once i use them it is still asking me for my 2 step code from my code generator. This is where the problem is.

Thanks for your help

https://m.facebook.com/help/105487009541643

would this or the related articles be useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Thanks but the problem is, i cant generate the required code as it was on my old phone which i no longer have access to.
    I wouldn't actually be too bothered if i didn't need it to use it to promote my business, but i regularly us Facebook ad campaigns and post about the products I sell.
    The whole experience is extremely frustrating. They haven't replied to an email in days, im actually at the point of going down to their offices in Dublin and asking at the desk, what the hell is going on with this bullsh!t that i cannot get resolved quickly and with minimal fuss. ( im quite frustrated) :)
    Surely a company of their size would have something as simple as a chat function set up for such issues.

The whole purpose of 2fa is that you have your password which is something that you know, and an auth device (phone, yubi key, etc) which is something you have, to validate you and to allow access.

As mentioned, during the 2fa setup process, you are advised to download/print backup codes during this setup, in the event the device is unavailable.

Do you have access to Facebook on another device, which was previously authenticated, ie browser on PC. If so, then you can disable 2fa.

Also, what was authenticator app that you used on your phone?
    Was your phone backed up.
    If you used authy, this can be recovered to a new phone with the codes.

Also, did you try the recovery process here.
    https://en-gb.facebook.com/help/147926301947841

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I’d like to understand why Facebook
    (and the likes of Ebay) think it’s acceptable to offer automated and unhelpful responses to queries from their users.

Don’t think I’ve ever received a non-generic response (that’s obviously had human input) to a query I have logged with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

I have 2fa on my account and they authorise by sending a text message to my phone with a code, can you not do it that way

Advertisement