Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons at Heuston Station closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

L1011 wrote: »
    It's done where it works. It wouldn't work here. And the pharmacy counter in a bookshop idea is insane anywhere

GMS payments have been computerised for decades, maybe over two - there are still pharmacies that do it on paper for their own arcane reasons

I don't think they have been, because customers have to sign each GMS script now due to some pharmacies claiming for meds they never dispensed. I've never seen anyone signing on a tablet with a stylist.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The paper copies have to be retained, the payment has been requested electronically for donkeys years for those pharmacies that do it. Supplied the software for it!

Were still holdouts in 2013 when I stopped doing that job. They got paid weeks to months in arrears

Emme wrote: »
    The food offerings at Heuston couldn't be worse. The stuff M&S sells there is very poor and doesn't do the store any justice. Commuting is unhealthy enough as it is without being sold the unhealthiest and most disgusting foods at the train station. The coffee shops and the juice bar are the fine but the rest are artery clogging fodder outlets.

A Chopped or other healthy food outlet is badly needed at Heuston.

As for Fallon and Byrne being expensive as mentioned above I have always found Brambles to be ridiculously overpriced for what you get.

Since I was 15 I go to the gym daily, and I always eat fresh food or at worst frozen (regards to like veg). Over the years I have learned more and more about food and nutrition, and it's really disturbing how much utter crap is in those ready meals, they've far less nutrition and are loaded with salts and sugars. Yet people have this "i don't have TIME!!!!" attitude today. Same reason I started saying no (though I'll usually not phrase it that way) when people ask for me detailed suggestions or to write out a fitness plan for them to follow if they join the gym (usually around new years) because they won't go, they never do, ever. People have this notion in their heads that you need hours of free time every day to eat healthy and go to the gym.
    I have the body of a mens health cover model I go to the gym for an hour a day in the morning..that's it...an hour and I'll be wrapped up and done before the hours up. If you make it part of your routine it's no big deal, once you get past that first 30 days and it's ingrained in you you're fine.

Who cares? I used to think, not everyone needs to have a 6 pack, in a way I actually like that it's rarer cos makes me more special :P but I'm noticing it's

bigger and more serious than aesthetics now, it's becoming a more serious matter than looks and getting laid more. I'm seeing people eat their breakfast in the car on the way into work (by ''breakfast'' I mean a meal bar or something over processed out of a carton).

The crap this "i've no time rush rush rush!" outlook is causing people to buy is contributing towards higher cancer rates not to mention a myriad of other illnesses, I'm seeing obese kids now ffsake. I remember when the sugar tax came in people said "that's not gonna deter people from buying the products"...it wasn't meant to. Setting it up and hiking it slowly is designed to pay for the new pressure on the health service caused by all the extra crap people are eating! Its leading to longer waiting lists, poorer health outcomes etc.

I've also noticed a huge contrast starting to occur, the 1-2% who are very healthy and ripped are becoming slightly more common, actively overweight are becoming WAYYYYYYYYYYY more common, and the average body type in the middle is a rapidly shrinking group. PC culture is even starting to play into it, with plus size models, I don't get why the model types have to be morbidly obese + abercrombie & fitch ...why not show the latter, someone with a bit more body fat than the average person would like, then a variety of shapes in between, the obese one should not even be up there, it normalizes it. Set ups and what's available in commuting locations etc all plays a key part in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

(also coverage blackspots along the lines if using 4g)

came down to kildare today phone signal was dire in spots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

fergus1001 wrote: »
    came down to kildare today phone signal was dire in spots

Please do not blame Easons for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 drive on right

THANK YOU to everyone for suggestions re: LEAP Visitors Card.

We are arriving by Coach on X8 - from Cashel (so can't buy it at airport).

MY QUESTION IS:
    Do you know IF it is the "Easons NEWS Concession" in Heuston Station that sells the LEAP Visitors Card?

OR
    Was it the "Easons BOOK Store" (THAT HAS CLOSED) who sold the LEAP Visitors Card??

On a Sunday: Our only other choice is to take a Taxi to "Visit Dublin Center" at 25 Suffolk Street.

We are trying to get to 14 Henrietta Street for their last Tour at 16:00.
    (Didn't want to spend the afternoon chasing down the LEAP Visitor's Card with luggage.)

We live in USA - and LEAP web site says it will mail it:
    Says it will take TWO WEEKS.

But all mail goes by plane.
    It might have taken Two Weeks "BY BOAT" around 1960's???

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The Easons newsagents which is open in Heuston has them as does the one at Busaras.

The two week online post is probably been conservative to prevent those buying last minute before flying to Ireland and not getting them on time.

To: Jamie2k9

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

This REALLY helps!!!

Now we drop our bags; and use the LUCAS and make it to 14 Henrietta Street for a Tour.
    (they are Closed Mon & Tues)

I really appreciate the info :):):)

Ellen

I thought I was ALL SET - Thanks to info from Jamie2k9.

BUT.......after Dubin Bus answered my email (see below): I am still CONFUSED!!!

Jamie2k9 posted that:
    Easons News Agent is STILL Open and that they are CURRENTLY Selling LEAP Visitor Cards.
    Also: that I could buy a LEAP Visitor Card at Easons at Busarus.

HOWEVER:

Dublin Bus wrote in their email:
    "The only places you are able to purchase a Leap visitor card are Dublin Airport or the Dublin bus head office in o'connell street."

"On behalf of Dublin Bus thank you for your email and apologises for any inconvenience caused."

On the LEAP web page:
    The LEAP Visitor Card Info STILL shows as follows:

"Purchase your card when you arrive in Dublin from a number of different agents in the city:

Dublin Airport

Bus & Travel Information Desk (T1 Arrivals)
    Spar (T2 Arrivals)
    WHSmith (T1 Arrivals)
    Dublin City Centre

Dublin Bus, 59 Upper O’Connell St.
    Discover Ireland Centre, 14 Upper O’Connell St.
    Visit Dublin Centre, 25 Suffolk St.
    Easons Busaras, Beresford Place
    Easons Heuston Station, Dublin 8 "

I could call Easons New Agent at Heuston Station before we arrive.
    I can also call Visit Dublin Centre.

On a Sunday: we will not make it to Dublin Bus by closing time at 14:00.
    Discover Ireland Centre is Closed on Sunday.

I guess I could FORGET about the "Visitor" LEAP card and buy a REGULAR LEAP Card.
    (and accept loosing the 5 euro deposit).

THANKS for reading this and for any help you have

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I thought I was ALL SET - Thanks to info from Jamie2k9.

BUT.......after Dubin Bus answered my email (see below): I am still CONFUSED!!!

Jamie2k9 posted that:
    Easons News Agent is STILL Open and that they are CURRENTLY Selling LEAP Visitor Cards.
    Also: that I could buy a LEAP Visitor Card at Easons at Busarus.

HOWEVER:

Dublin Bus wrote in their email:
    "The only places you are able to purchase a Leap visitor card are Dublin Airport or the Dublin bus head office in o'connell street."

"On behalf of Dublin Bus thank you for your email and apologises for any inconvenience caused."

On the LEAP web page:
    The LEAP Visitor Card Info STILL shows as follows:

"Purchase your card when you arrive in Dublin from a number of different agents in the city:

Dublin Airport

Bus & Travel Information Desk (T1 Arrivals)
    Spar (T2 Arrivals)
    WHSmith (T1 Arrivals)
    Dublin City Centre

Dublin Bus, 59 Upper O’Connell St.
    Discover Ireland Centre, 14 Upper O’Connell St.
    Visit Dublin Centre, 25 Suffolk St.
    Easons Busaras, Beresford Place
    Easons Heuston Station, Dublin 8 "

I could call Easons New Agent at Heuston Station before we arrive.
    I can also call Visit Dublin Centre.

On a Sunday: we will not make it to Dublin Bus by closing time at 14:00.
    Discover Ireland Centre is Closed on Sunday.

I guess I could FORGET about the "Visitor" LEAP card and buy a REGULAR LEAP Card.
    (and accept loosing the 5 euro deposit).

THANKS for reading this and for any help you have

Eason sell them, Leap website is correct.

Its probably lack of knowledge from the DB Customer Relations Team.

Contact Leap Card directly if you want to double check.

https://about.leapcard.ie/contact

• Advertisement

To: Jamie 2k9

Thank you AGAIN for helping me!!

I was also thinking something was wrong with Dublin Bus's email.
    AS if they ONLY thought of THEIR Locations:
    59 O'Connell Street and The "BUS & Travel Desk" at Airport.

IF you EVER need help figuring out New York City's Subway & Bus:
    I am happy to help you. I lived there for many years.

Because we don't want to drive on the "Opposite Side" of the road:
    Our trip to Ireland is all by train, bus & taxi.

THANK YOU :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Anteayer wrote: »
    They were gold mines and then along came smartphones, tablets and ultra portable notebooks.

I can't even remember when the last time I've seen someone boarding a train with a pile of newspapers and magazines. Whereas even a decade ago you'd often stock up for an almost 3 hour journey.

Lol, I just bought the Sunday Business Post and Sunday Times yesterday to preoccupy me for the 4 hour Tralee to Dublin journey. Both sites are subscriber only online which is why I made the physical purchases. I'd say younger folk were looking at me oddly with all my papers/supplements...:pac:

Granted, I used to buy a Sunday newspaper every week but now maybe 3 times a year (train journeys like this etc). I have to say I still get a more satisfying read out of a physical broadsheet. You end up reading articles and informing yourself on items you wouldn't necessarily click into when scrolling online as that is more click bait designed!

Newsagents must be decimated by the fall off in newspaper/magazine purchases.

Emme wrote: »
    Rip out Supermacs in Heuston and replace it with Fallon & Byrne - the cleaning costs of trains would drop dramatically.

So would the smell on the trains of curry chips and those burgers....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is M&S opening in Connolly too?

I probably use Heuston only about 3 times a year now if I choose not to drive home to culchie land

Why don't you stay in Jackeen Land then. Typical dub:rolleyes:

TheShow wrote: »
    Why don't you stay in Jackeen Land then. Typical dub:rolleyes:

Are you seriously offended by me using the term culchieland? I am a culchie and proud of it and use it as a term of affection, never in a derogatory way to you ( if you are from outside the pale) or anyone else. I do however live in Dublin in recent years now. Your hostility is a little strong....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Lol, I just bought the Sunday Business Post and Sunday Times yesterday to preoccupy me for the 4 hour Tralee to Dublin journey. Both sites are subscriber only online which is why I made the physical purchases. I'd say younger folk were looking at me oddly with all my papers/supplements...:pac:

Granted, I used to buy a Sunday newspaper every week but now maybe 3 times a year (train journeys like this etc). I have to say I still get a more satisfying read out of a physical broadsheet. You end up reading articles and informing yourself on items you wouldn't necessarily click into when scrolling online as that is more click bait designed!

Newsagents must be decimated by the fall off in newspaper/magazine purchases.

Trains are so packed out now there isn't room on trains to read a newspaper or decent sized book. It's small screens all the way. I honestly think overcrowded trains are one of the reasons the Easons bookshop at Heuston had to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Are you seriously offended by me using the term culchieland? I am a culchie and proud of it and use it as a term of affection, never in a derogatory way to you ( if you are from outside the pale) or anyone else. I do however live in Dublin now. Your hostility is a little strong....

You could just refer to the place you were travelling to by its proper name instead. The word culchie is not a term of endearment, nor is referring to anywhere outside of Dublin/the pale as culchieland.

TheShow wrote: »
    You could just refer to the place you were travelling to by its proper name instead. The word culchie is not a term of endearment, nor is referring to anywhere outside of Dublin/the pale as culchieland.

It's hardly a term of bullying or abuse. It just means someone from outside Dublin...and there is a difference between us, don't tell me there is no cos in political circles I interact with people from all around the country and I constantly hear examples of the chip people outside Dublin (esp from the west) have on their shoulder for how "Dem up in Dublin get everything!" They practically see us as a different species.

It's no different to 'north sider' or 'southsider' or 'd4 head' people are put into groups in every city on earth and every country on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Are you seriously offended by me using the term culchieland? I am a culchie and proud of it and use it as a term of affection, never in a derogatory way to you ( if you are from outside the pale) or anyone else. I do however live in Dublin in recent years now. Your hostility is a little strong....

I always call Dublin either jackeen land or junkie Ville but it’s meant in good humour

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I always call Dublin either jackeen land or junkie Ville but it’s meant in good humour

That upsets the West Brits in fairness

• Advertisement

Exactly and no Dub would be offended by it said in good humour I'm pretty sure. Yet some snowflakes are offended by the use of culchie when the context is meant in good humour! I suppose snowflakes will be offended by the term snowflakes too....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Brambles is open today in the old Easons. Looks nice. I'll try it for lunch.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Brambles is open today in the old Easons. Looks nice. I'll try it for lunch.

Good to hear. I noticed the last time I was in Heuston last month that there was not one place you could order a freshly made up sandwich as the previous 3 outlets that did were replaced by an Insomnia, a donut shop and an Asian street food counter. Hopefully Brambles addresses this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Good to hear. I noticed the last time I was in Heuston last month that there was not one place you could order a freshly made up sandwich as the previous 3 outlets that did were replaced by an Insomnia, a donut shop and an Asian street food counter. Hopefully Brambles addresses this.

If you're hoping for something like a deli counter you'll be disappointed. They have a few ready made options and some pre-packed sandwiches. Fairly limited hot food too.

It's a comfortable spot, way better than anything else in the station, but choice is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    If you're hoping for something like a deli counter you'll be disappointed. They have a few ready made options and some pre-packed sandwiches. Fairly limited hot food too.

It's a comfortable spot, way better than anything else in the station, but choice is limited.

More train station fodder then. It's easy money for them. I have never seen so many unhealthy food outlets under one roof. Operation Transformation should do a programme on fat commuters (most of us are fat and I used to run 10Ks before I moved to commuterland) and show just how bad Heuston is for food. It's a heart attack, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and mindless hurried eating under one roof. It's a wonder Prof Donal O'Shea hasn't tried to get the place shut down. Or a few salad bars put in. Juice bar doesn't count, all those juices are full of sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Back in the 1970s/90s there a fine restaurant on Platform.1. which management kept a secret where the awful Brasserie was later on. Though nominally open to the public it was used by Head Office managers to entertain - even me on a couple of occasions - silver service too but it had all the appearance of being closed. Venetian blinds on the windows.

Sic transit gloria mundi. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Back in the 1970s/90s there a fine restaurant on Platform.1.
    [/I]

For years I promised myself a treat there, alas, I left it too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

To be honest, I could understand someone reacting negatively to that label regardless of how it's meant, and I say that as a ruralite.
    XPS_Zero wrote: »
    It's hardly a term of bullying or abuse. It just means someone from outside Dublin...and there is a difference between us, don't tell me there is no cos in political circles I interact with people from all around the country and I constantly hear examples of the chip people outside Dublin (esp from the west) have on their shoulder for how "Dem up in Dublin get everything!" They practically see us as a different species.

It's no different to 'north sider' or 'southsider' or 'd4 head' people are put into groups in every city on earth and every country on earth.

"It's hardly a term of bullying or abuse" - It can be. I could see its use being considered name-calling by a HR department.

"It just means someone from outside Dublin." - That's not a universal definition though, and besides it's a synonym for "an unsophisticated country person"URL="https://www.google.com/search?q=culchie&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE833IE833&oq=culchie&aqs=chrome..69i57.2031j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8"]ref[/URL.

"It's no different to 'north sider' or 'southsider' or 'd4 head" - It's very different; north, south and d4 are regions or points of the compass and there's nothing intrinsically pejorative about northsider, southsider or D4 head.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭PreCocious

Vita nova wrote: »
    To be honest, I could understand someone reacting negatively to that label regardless of how it's meant, and I say that as a ruralite.

"It's hardly a term of bullying or abuse" - It can be. I could see its use being considered name-calling by a HR department.

"It just means someone from outside Dublin." - That's not a universal definition though, and besides it's a synonym for "an unsophisticated country person"URL="https://www.google.com/search?q=culchie&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE833IE833&oq=culchie&aqs=chrome..69i57.2031j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8"]ref[/URL.

"It's no different to 'north sider' or 'southsider' or 'd4 head" - It's very different; north, south and d4 are regions or points of the compass and there's nothing intrinsically pejorative about northsider, southsider or D4 head.

You can't seriously believe culchie is perjorative but northsider is fine ? They're all codewords for a particular groupings worst attributes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

PreCocious wrote: »
    You can't seriously believe culchie is perjorative but northsider is fine ? They're all codewords for a particular groupings worst attributes.
    Reread what I wrote, north and northside are terms for regions and there is nothing "intrinsically pejorative" about northsider or any -sider from an etymological viewpoint and it's the same in every English speaking country. The same cannot be said for the other term. I felt XPS_Zero was making a false equivalence to justify his arguments.

Advertisement