Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car delivered to UK port

Options
  • 07-02-2020 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

anyone ever had a car dropped to a UK port and picked up off the ferry this side ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Seems quite common. Last time I brought a car over on the Liverpool ferry, there were at least 10 unaccompanied UK reg cars being imported (driven by port staff onto the ferry in Liverpool)

Would you not go over yourself though? Road trip! Alternatively, have the car delivered from anywhere in the UK to your door in Ireland for about €400 or so, it's mentioned in this forum once in a while who provides this service...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

time is too tight to go myself ( although I've enjoyed it every other time I did it )

The guy said he'll drive it to the port ( about 100 miles for 50 quid ! ). I just wasnt sure if they take unaccompanied cars on the ferry.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I just wasnt sure if they take unaccompanied cars on the ferry.

Not just like that, you would have to make arrangements for someone to load / unload the car

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Did this a few times in the past, but not for a few years. Birkenhead to Dublin and Swansea (?) to Cork. At the time you had to pre-pay for the ferry and get a reference number. The car wouldn't be allowed onto the docks in Birkenhead without the reference number being quoted.

Worked out fine for me, but too much effort trying to co-ordinate the different legs of the journey, so I soon started using transport companies that would transport door to door.

after all my messing I was beaten to it by a few quid. I am annoyed at myself coz I should have bid more. It was still a cheap car :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

after all my messing I was beaten to it by a few quid. I am annoyed at myself coz I should have bid more. It was still a cheap car :-(

Linky?

this
    Hate the alloys, but I love the colour and it looks like it could be a decent car for what it sold for.
    Rust is a bit worrying so I wasnt as keen to stretch, but compared to anything else for that money.....

Was going to have it shipped to my buddy's place in Liverpool till after March 19th and then he'd put it on the ferry for me for the price of some juice and a train ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

this
    Hate the alloys, but I love the colour and it looks like it could be a decent car for what it sold for.
    Rust is a bit worrying so I wasnt as keen to stretch, but compared to anything else for that money.....

Was going to have it shipped to my buddy's place in Liverpool till after March 19th and then he'd put it on the ferry for me for the price of some juice and a train ticket.

Jeez that looks sweet.Small money too. You know, eventhough I'm not a fan of aftermarket stuff, those alloys aren't too bad.

Looks like a decent Jag. Very little money for a lot of car.

He could have just driven it straight onto the ferry in Liverpool, met you at Dublin port and you could have dropped him straight over to Dublin airport for a cheap Ryanair flight back home for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've done it with bike(s). Shop shipped it to Holyhead, and had it out of the van at the ferry terminal. I went over as foot passenger, helmet in hand, picked it up, drove it around the building and up the ramp of the ferry I just walked out of. Painless.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement