Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

40s 50s style watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Ryath

If you're around Kildare area, check out the Hour Passion store - they have a lot of Hamiltons under 500 euro (mostly Quartz) and definitely had some around the 3-400 euro mark a few weeks ago - things like this (different shop) but there were some very elegant ones there, similar to what you're looking for

https://www.citywatches.ie/product/hamilton-jazzmaster-thinline-h38411580-quartz-mens-watch/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Why not buy an original Longines from then? Gold filled tend to be a bit cheaper than steel. 19 ASD movements from the 50s would put some watches made today to shame IMHO.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭wally79

blue5000 wrote: »
    Why not buy an original Longines from then? Gold filled tend to be a bit cheaper than steel. 19 ASD movements from the 50s would put some watches made today to shame IMHO.

I was actually starting to think vintage might be the way to go

Thanks to all for the guidance so far

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Vintage is the way to go imho. Just check watch size, some tend to be quite small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

A few other options from the dark side...

The Seagull 1963 is very much of that era and is a lovely watch.
    70012020bdetail.jpg

Or the Poljot 3133 powered Blue Angels Chrono is a 50s style navitimer.
    2478neua.jpg

Or, this Strela is gorgeous too.
    of40cyphoto2.jpg

All are under €500 and that referenced site is highly reputable and well known.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    A few other options from the dark side...

The Seagull 1963 is very much of that era and is a lovely watch.
    70012020bdetail.jpg

Or the Poljot 3133 powered Blue Angels Chrono is a 50s style navitimer.
    2478neua.jpg

Or, this Strela is gorgeous too.
    of40cyphoto2.jpg

All are under €500 and that referenced site is highly reputable and well known.

That seagull 1963 is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

wally79 wrote: »
    That seagull 1963 is lovely
    Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have the seagull 1963 and it is a fine watch. Great value for what it is and tends to draw comments from people.
    Am also a fan of 50s and 60s vintages. There is good value out there for omegas and iwcs and breitlings from that era. Non-chronos.
    The Chronos seem to be over priced at the moment IMO.
    Pic to whet the appetite. I need to fix that one where the second hand popped out.

Watches.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 garrrr

This thread has sent me down a rabbit hole (poljot24 site) looking at watches I'd never really looked at before! The "LUCH BIG HAND One Hand Watch Automatic 42mm" and the black "Red Star Automatic Chronograph" tickled my fancy (don't have enough posts to link unfortunately), but the seagull 1963 is still probably nicest.

As for that Omega in the photo that @Trigger Happy shared - it's a beauty!!! What model is it?

I have the seagull 1963 and it is a fine watch. Great value for what it is and tends to draw comments from people.
    Am also a fan of 50s and 60s vintages. There is good value out there for omegas and iwcs and breitlings from that era. Non-chronos.
    The Chronos seem to be over priced at the moment IMO.
    Pic to whet the appetite. I need to fix that one where the second hand popped out.

What is the watch at bottom middle in your picture trigger?

garrrr wrote: »
    This thread has sent me down a rabbit hole (poljot24 site) looking at watches I'd never really looked at before! The "LUCH BIG HAND One Hand Watch Automatic 42mm" and the black "Red Star Automatic Chronograph" tickled my fancy (don't have enough posts to link unfortunately), but the seagull 1963 is still probably nicest.

As for that Omega in the photo that @Trigger Happy shared - it's a beauty!!! What model is it?

It's an omega ' seamaster 30' with a cal 286 movement from the year 1961. The dial was repainted a few years ago. It's only 32 or 33mm across so wears small.

wally79 wrote: »
    What is the watch at bottom middle in your picture trigger?

That is an old chrono, Chronograph Suisse, from the early 60s with a landeron 48 movement. I got it on Ebay a few years ago for about 220 euro and then had the case replated and replaced the hands.

Advertisement