Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trackman

Options
  • 18-01-2020 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭

Have many of you had a go at one of these? I played St Andrews today on one with a friend. I must say I really enjoyed it. That said....

We hardly missed a fairway. I'm suspicious of how accurate it is, I've never in my life been that accurate from the tee.

Distance wise I thought it was also a bit suspect. The drives were about right I was carrying about 230m which is where I'd expect to be. But the irons were playing about a club short all day. I know myself from my distance watch that if I used the same clubs on a course that I was using for the trackman that I'd have been carrying the ball over the greens.

So I wouldn't put too much faith in how accurate it is. But it is enjoyable.

Many others here ever spend an hour with a machine? Any different or similar experiences?

Comments

It probably depends which setting they have it on for games like that.

Trackman itself is very accurate and is used by a lot of the pros to keep track of their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Do you record your stats on course?? Do you overshoot many greens?

If not then it is possible your distances for your irons are wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Do you record your stats on course?? Do you overshoot many greens?

If not then it is possible your distances for your irons are wrong

The distances are recorded with my watch and they match quite closely to how far I think I hit my irons. I don't overshoot many greens but a major reason for that is that the danger behind greens tends to be far more penal than the danger in front. So coming up short isn't too bad, but being long is very very bad!

The measurements were just clearly wrong. I'd played the previous day and was very good with my iron distances. Then on this machine I was at least 10m short. If I was hitting them that short I wouldn't have hit a green all day the day before.

And it wasn't just the distance. Both of us were straight driving all day on that machine. Again, this isn't accurate. A few I felt I sliced and saw a gentle push right on the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

If you were playing St Andrews on Trackman you were more than likely playing a game called Perfect Golf. While the Trackman numbers might be correct, how the game interprets then may not be 100%.

Perfect Golf also has a number of settings for difficulty too. You may not have been on “true data”

Lastly it also depends on what model Trackman. Historically Trackman was a radar based product, so it needed to see the full flight of the ball, obviously that is not possible indoors, which is why camera based launch monitors are much better indoors. They really only need to see the ball and club face either side of impact. The GC2 Quad is the market leader here. In saying that the new Trackman 4 has that addressed.

J

I looked it up. It was a trackman 4. I've no idea what settings were on it, although the wind was turned off.

But I can't remember a round where my drives were that straight and my irons that short. It must have been set up wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

blue note wrote: »
    I looked it up. It was a trackman 4. I've no idea what settings were on it, although the wind was turned off.

But I can't remember a round where my drives were that straight and my irons that short. It must have been set up wrong.

Was it indoor off a mat into a screen?

Was it indoor off a mat into a screen?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

blue note wrote: »
    Yep.

There's a couple of things to note in that situation, balls hit off a mat react differently to balls hit off turf so there can be different results to what you see on the course. Also Trackman is a radar which tracks the complete flight of the ball, indoors it only has a few yards of data to work with and calculates the shot result from this data and again this can give a little different result.

Trackman works best when it can follow the whole flight of the ball, launch monitors such as the Foresight GC Quad are camera based and work a little better indoors then Trackman but Trackman is better outdoors then the Foresight.

You can't really expect a totally different indoor environment to give the same results as an unpredictable outdoor one. Otherwise we would see indoor golf competitions giving the same results as outdoor ones and would there be any need to play outdoors then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Ball different?

Nope, used my ball on it.

Just back from my last round before starting my new job (gonna be the end of my regular golf:() and I can confirm that I still have the slice in my shot locker. About 14 drives on the trackman and not one sliced. 3 drives today and 2 sliced. You could argue the first was more a push encouraged to go more right by the wind. You could not argue that for my third one, that was a slice!

• Advertisement

After going for a fitting, I can definitely say that the trackman was not calibrated properly. With the same driver I was carrying an extra 15-20 yards for the fitting. When I absolutely smashed one the first time around I was carrying 240, that went up to 260 in the fitting. I must have been playing the ball from the wrong place or the machine was not lined up or something.

Advertisement