Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hypermobility

Options
  • 07-02-2020 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I have double jointed knees and elbows. After a run i am always aching which made me consider packing it up..I have potential, I have ran half marathons in under 2 hours and i am now signed up to the Dublin marathon. Anyone else share my problem and what do you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

opfleet wrote: »
    I have double jointed knees and elbows. After a run i am always aching which made me consider packing it up..I have potential, I have ran half marathons in under 2 hours and i am now signed up to the Dublin marathon. Anyone else share my problem and what do you do?

What if any steps have you done to try to alleviate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Speak to a physio.
    Whatever about being careful or restricting your movement, the distances you're running means you can't be careful the whole time. Even if you can bear the pain, just make sure you're not doing yourself damage.
    I know a guy who has it, and he reckons it gave him an advantage in the sport he played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭opfleet

Ceepo wrote: »
    What if any steps have you done to try to alleviate it.
    Ive worked more on my warmups and cooldowns as well as building up my lower and upper strenght. But I still ache afterwards..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

And are the aches related to being hyper-mobile - has this been confirmed?

I'd say you need to build up strength in the muscles around the hyper mobile joints.

I'm sure hyper mobility varies from person to person so i'm not giving you advice but i'll share my experience of having a very hyper-mobile child, it may or may not be helpful. What we've been told by his various physios over the past 5 years is that exercise is the best remedy and that he basically cannot be too active or do too much! He has to work harder than his peers to level the playing field with them. His Physio gives him exercises, nothing out of the norm (planks, sit ups, push ups, donkey kicks), some are adapted to make them fun for him as he is just a little kid but generally it's a lot of core work similar to what you'd do in a Pilates class. It's all about strengthening the muscles to help control the joints.

Personally, if i was you i'd seek professional advice. Best of luck.

Advertisement