Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice on motorcycle courier job ?

Options
  • 03-02-2020 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Anyone Any advice on starting with well known motorcycle courier company I realise the job wasnt worth it a few years ago but I've been advised I could earn a flat rate of 550 a week up 8 or 900 and things have picked up seems to be plenty of jobs advertised .I like drivin bikes and currently in my job for 7 years and looking for a change but only if it's better money .do they still expect too much from drivers is there mad pressure everyday. Any advice from someone in the position or recently worked as one would be great thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Anyone Any advice on starting with well known motorcycle courier company I realise the job wasnt worth it a few years ago but I've been advised I could earn a flat rate of 550 a week up 8 or 900 and things have picked up seems to be plenty of jobs advertised .I like drivin bikes and currently in my job for 7 years and looking for a change but only if it's better money .do they still expect too much from drivers is there mad pressure everyday. Any advice from someone in the position or recently worked as one would be great thanks .

Can't offer too much advice only that if you like riding bikes - doing the job for 40-50+ hours a week may soon change that. Will you want to spend an hour or so on the bike at the weekend having spent the full week on it in all sorts of weather and dealing with assh0les on phones etc?
    Think wisely on it before jumping into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't believe a word from the base controller or the boss.

What type of bike are you thinking of using? Have you got a quote for courier insurance and are you handy with maintenance as you will be doing a lot of it.

Riding a bike for a living is different to commuting or fun, you'll soon be sick of the site of bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Go for it..it's decent money if you like riding....buy a hack...it'll pay for itself in a few weeks...do it till the winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

I did it in London years ago, the money was mental but it was dangerous, stressful and unhealthy sitting in traffic. You would need to know your way around a bike and wear the proper gear. It also takes the joy out of riding. Stress was a big part of it I realized later on, you have to be on your game 100% of the time for 10 / 12 / 16 hours a day or the chances of an accident rise. Its mentally and physically draining. I don’t know how many times I came close...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,785 ✭✭✭✭listermint

XMG wrote: »
    I did it in London years ago, the money was mental but it was dangerous, stressful and unhealthy sitting in traffic. You would need to know your way around a bike and wear the proper gear. It also takes the joy out of riding. Stress was a big part of it I realized later on, you have to be on your game 100% of the time for 10 / 12 / 16 hours a day or the chances of an accident rise. Its mentally and physically draining. I don’t know how many times I came close...

26 per annum is mental?...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Just halve any figure you hear to pay for the bike, fuel, wear and tear, crashes, tax, etc.

Soon takes the gloss off things.

Talk to some real couriers and get their opinions....and not part time bikers....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Drumorig

It's a horrible dangerous job, id never do it again. Base controllers will tell you whatever as their turnover is high. You won't be under pressure all the time but when you are it's on.
    When I was doing it I used to say this will be a good day, a bad one or my last. I done dublin mostly.
    It wrecks your bike also, there is always something going or about to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think it would kill your love of biking tbh.

But, if you want to drive and do drops etc, then consider going as a van driver.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Buy a low mileage GN125, fit a big topbox and keep the bike maintained regardless. Fit handmuffs and a phone charger and away you go. Don't even dream about using a decent bike for couriering.

• Advertisement

Did it for years..never put me off bikes, in fact it paid for my "good" bikes and a decent house...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Marki

Did it for years..never put me off bikes, in fact it paid for my "good" bikes and a decent house...;)

We were earning punts back in mid 80's. 800 - 1000 was a good week;) I think those days are gone tho.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Talk to any of the just eat lads you see regularly around the place, there’s not a hope I’d use my own bike

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Yeah but Marki, you had too much disposable income and distractions back then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

If you've nothing to lose by trying it then go for it. It's an underpaid dirty dangerous job and the only people doing it are people that have no better way to make money.

newmember? wrote: »
    If you've nothing to lose by trying it then go for it. It's an underpaid dirty dangerous job and the only people doing it are people that have no better way to make money.

WOW..:eek:......talk about pigeonholing....not a bit true....

WOW..:eek:......talk about pigeonholing....not a bit true....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,225 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Good article I came across a couple of years ago:

https://www.wemoto.com/news/article/1100/motorcycle_couriers_then_and_now

dispatch-riders.jpg

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Jesus...imagine trying to keep a GT 250 on the road these days....500 a week on the bike ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

No holidays, sick pay, bank holidays and a serious amount of numpties on the road. Traffic lights being broken by other users 100% of the time. You'd be lucky coming out with 15,000 PA once you take out all your expenses. Dont be sold into the romantic ideal of couriering for a living, the reality is far starker.

• Advertisement

Considering the amount of couriers/van drivers around..a lot of guys are happy with their lot....;)

Considering the amount of couriers/van drivers around..a lot of guys are happy with their lot....;)

Absolute bollocks...go and talk with a few and then come back, and van driving is very very different to sitting outdoors on a motorbike 8+hours a day in all weathers. What I said above is true, there's nobody doing it for the love of bikes or the love of the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I cycle couriered with a company that had motorbike couriers for a short while in the 90's when 2 wheel couriering was at it's peak.

The motorbike lads got a lot of hassle from the Gardai (much much more so than the cycle couriers, and much more so that regular motorcycle riders) and they felt in order to make money they had to "skip corners" in every way. It was a lot more expensive for them compared to us cyclists with tax, fuel, safety gear, insurance and maintenance.

The motorbike couriers got the worst runs too.

The job seemed fairly unhealthy too, most of then smoked and ate crap due that couldn't be burned off like the cycle couriers (eating handy junk food from the saddle) Injuries were common enough for all of us and that meant no pay.

Broken cycle bikes are a lot cheaper to fix than the motorbikes and we'd no regulations on tyres.

Without meaning to offend, some of them were rough as f towards the end of the peak. Echoing Newmember's post it seemed to me to be one of those jobs that people unfortunate enough not to find work in other areas took to.

Either way... best of luck with whatever you do.

Absolute bollocks...go and talk with a few and then come back, and van driving is very very different to sitting outdoors on a motorbike 8+hours a day in all weathers. What I said above is true, there's nobody doing it for the love of bikes or the love of the job.

Know both..its not bollox, its a job and they like it.....they make decent money, maybe its the lazy bollox's who are the complainers...
    I did both...bike anyday, but the van is nice in winter, but more stressful because of the amount of packages and the size of the van...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Know both..its not bollox, its a job and they like it.....they make decent money, maybe its the lazy bollox's who are the complainers...
    I did both...bike anyday, but the van is nice in winter, but more stressful because of the amount of packages and the size of the van...

In a van with a good urban route you might make some money and have an enjoyable job, but to get that you need seniority. Just starting you get the crap runs after splashing out for the shiny new van all the companies insist you have.

The OP is going to be the bottom of the pile doing bike couriering and there's not as much money in it as there was back in the boom days. Even An Post is struggling with letters, they are trying to get the package business off the van couriers!, so who's going to spend several Euro to get a document delivered when the internet is quicker?

You can't email/fax a dress.

When I was working in central London c.1999, I got dragged from WC2 to SW8 to pick a dress up to go back to a production company - contact Joanna.

Ring the bell and Joanna Lumley answers the door! Asks me if I mind waiting and would I like a cup of tea? ...Go on, twist me arm. So I have a tea and biscuits and a smoke in her kitchen.

Lovely lady.

(The rest of it is underpaid crap though.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

macplaxton wrote: »
    You can't email/fax a dress.

When I was working in central London c.1999, I got dragged from WC2 to SW8 to pick a dress up to go back to a production company - contact Joanna.

Ring the bell and Joanna Lumley answers the door! Asks me if I mind waiting and would I like a cup of tea? ...Go on, twist me arm. So I have a tea and biscuits and a smoke in her kitchen.

Lovely lady.

(The rest of it is underpaid crap though.)

Pfft That’s nothing, I delivered to Christy Moore, beat that!

Pfft That’s nothing, I delivered to Christy Moore, beat that!

Daniel Day Lewis...beat that! :pac:

Bet they both didn't make you a cup of tea!

• Advertisement

Daniel Day Lewis...beat that! :pac:

Larry Mullen
    Joe lynch
    Pat Kenny
    Leslie Dowdall
    David Kelly..

......showing my age now....:o

Advertisement