Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rob McElhenney's new show - Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet

• 08-01-2020 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

Not a videogame or directly related in and of itself, so maybe better for the TV forum but...

A trailer has been released for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia creator Rob McElhenney's new show, Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet.

It's a fake documentary series about a video game development company in which McElhenney plays the head of a studio who developed one of the biggest MMOs and seems like a bit of a nightmare to work with.

The cast features Danny Pudi, F. Murray Abraham, Ashly Burch, Imani Hakim, Charlotte Nicadao, David Hornsby, and Jessie Ennis.

Charlie Day (fellow cohort on Always Sunny) is an executive producer along with David Hornsby and Megan Ganz (also Always Sunny). Then there's Jason Altman, Danielle Kreinik and Gérard Guillemot from Ubisoft as executive producers, according to PC Gamer.

Coming to Apple TV on February 7th.

🤪

Comments

Not sold by that trailer at all but I'm big Sunny fan so I'll give it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Apple TV? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Sunny is my favourite comedy so I'll be all over this, great cast as well. Apple TV :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,294 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the game footage in the first episode look like actual games such as AC: Odyssey, For Honor and Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    did they get permission or do they just look similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Skerries wrote: »
    the game footage in the first episode look like actual games such as AC: Odyssey, For Honor and Kingdom Come: Deliverance
    did they get permission or do they just look similar?

Ubisoft are one of the producers for the show so would assume permission granted and prob used their engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

brav wrote: »
    Ubisoft are one of the producers for the show so would assume permission granted and prob used their engine

So now we know why they pushed back so many games...too busy making stuff for this show :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So now we know why they pushed back so many games...too busy making stuff for this show :pac:

It was a much better use of their time than what they released in 2019 :pac:

As for the show itself, it's a gem that is so much better than the trailer would let on. Great cast, great writing and on a subject such as the gaming industry which is not often seen as the background for a show like this.

Just watched the first ep and i love it. I'm a big fan of the always sunny team anyway so kinda biased but i love the basis of it. The money guy squeezing in loot boxes, the writing guy who has a back story for everything and the QA's who get no respect. Looking forward to watching the rest.

Also, Ashly Burch is awesome.

Episode 5, A Dark Quiet Death was ****ing awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Episode 5, A Dark Quiet Death was ****ing awesome.

Yeah that episode had me totally hooked into the story all the while thinking WTF are the writers doing :) Anyone else double check to see if they were watching the wrong thing?

• Advertisement

Episode 7 was class, actually felt like a season finale. Interesting that it was written by Ashly Burch. If they get a season 2, they should give her more eps. Gonna finish this over the weekend, really really liked it.

It bothered me more than I'd like to admit when the money guy managed to alter so much irreversibly on his own in the second episode. I'm enjoying it though far more than I thought it would. The assistant is the funniest so far for me.

Loved it! Wasn't hilarious like Always Sunny but just great characters that i cared about. Between being on Apple TV and game sites reporting THIS ISN'T WHAT A GAME STUDIO IS LIKE!!!, I'm afraid this won't pick up much traction. I really hope they get a season 2. So much story to tell, especially with how well Ian and Poppy bounce off each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Have watched up to episode 5 and am enjoying it but the way they pronounce Ian is really grating. Never heard it pronounced like that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Have watched up to episode 5 and am enjoying it but the way they pronounce Ian is really grating. Never heard it pronounced like that.

I thought so too. It gets explained though. Still annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Title is a bit off-putting, but reviews were good, so gave it ago (never bothered with the trailer). Takes the piss out of the gaming industry, the way Silicon Valley takes the piss out some Californian area, and throws in a 30 Rock kind of gender battling; not as funny as either of these 2, but still well worth a look. Great characters, with strong storylines. Would love further series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Title is a bit off-putting, but reviews were good, so gave it ago (never bothered with the trailer). Takes the piss out of the gaming industry, the way Silicon Valley takes the piss out some Californian area, and throws in a 30 Rock kind of gender battling; not as funny as either of these 2, but still well worth a look. Great characters, with strong storylines. Would love further series.

Rob McElhenney explains the reason for the title about 9:20 into this interview.

Interesting interview; Ron McElhenney's a clever guy.
    I quite like the title, knowing what it's about (and especially now I know why he picked it)- it's just a bit 'off-putting' for a lot of people I'd say if they just saw the title out of context.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That was enjoyable. Rickety Cricket was excellent in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The Hollywood Reporter interview is very good. Must watch tonight.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That was pretty great tbh. I love how Blood Ocean was referenced as being hideously mistimed because that was something that had actually occurred to me recently.

Brilliant, just brilliant and what an ending!

That was enjoyable. Rickety Cricket was excellent in it.
    I knew I knew him from somewhere, but it was only on re-watching It's Always Sunny from the start again recently that I realized it was him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

That quarantine episode was brilliant

Special episode airing 16th of April, before season 2 in May. This is a follow up to the quarantine episode that sees that gang return to the office. Written by Ashly Burch as well!

https://www.thewrap.com/mythic-quest-standalone-episode-everlight-coronavirus-season-2-rob-mcelhenney/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

How did I never hear of this?? Been watching Always Sunny for years, love the grimey humour in that. Just watched the first ep of this and yeah, think I'll dig it, not as 'out there' humour-wise as ASIP but I don't expect many comedies to be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s quite good - one of only two shows I’ve watched on Apple TV+ (the other being the Morning Show) despite having been on a twelve month free trial for well over a year now. Don’t be fooled by the name or the weird marketing as some sort of fantasy drama, it’s a work com based in a video gaming firm and is quite funny. (Oddly and though they share some of the talent, I simply can’t bring myself to like Always Sunny, but I like this).

Advertisement