Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1989 number plate legally require euro flag?

Options
  • 07-02-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

Getting a set of plates made up for 1989 car to pass NCT do they need the euro flag and county name on them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Eireplates

No need for a euro flag on a 1989 plate. Euroflags were not introduced until Jan 1 1991.

You need white plates front and rear.

Cheers

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi ,

Getting a set of plates made up for 1989 car to pass NCT do they need the euro flag and county name on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I was in the same boat as you last year.

From: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/si/385/made/en/print

si385y92p0032.gif

Provisions to be complied with in respect of vehicles first registered on or after the 1st day of January, 1987 but not later than the 31st day of December, 1990:

1. ( a ) Where the identification mark contains a single letter index mark it shall, at the option of the owner, be arranged in conformity with either Diagram No. 5 or Diagram No. 6 shown above.

( b ) Where the identification mark contains a two letter index mark it shall, at the option of the owner, be arranged in conformity with either Diagram No. 7 of Diagram No. 8 above.

There's more to it than just those 2 lines, but I printed off what was relevant, and brought it with me. The car passed fine, and once the NCT was completed, I got chatting to a couple of the testers about the car, and one had thought that the plates were illegal because of no IRL in the corner. I showed him what I had printed and he admitted he was wrong, and said he'd learned something that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I was in the same boat as you last year.

From: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/si/385/made/en/print

si385y92p0032.gif

Provisions to be complied with in respect of vehicles first registered on or after the 1st day of January, 1987 but not later than the 31st day of December, 1990:

1. ( a ) Where the identification mark contains a single letter index mark it shall, at the option of the owner, be arranged in conformity with either Diagram No. 5 or Diagram No. 6 shown above.

( b ) Where the identification mark contains a two letter index mark it shall, at the option of the owner, be arranged in conformity with either Diagram No. 7 of Diagram No. 8 above.

There's more to it than just those 2 lines, but I printed off what was relevant, and brought it with me. The car passed fine, and once the NCT was completed, I got chatting to a couple of the testers about the car, and one had thought that the plates were illegal because of no IRL in the corner. I showed him what I had printed and he admitted he was wrong, and said he'd learned something that day.

Great reply Jabba I looked all over that specific document with no success. Thanks alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Car99 wrote: »
    Great reply Jabba I looked all over that specific document with no success. Thanks alot.

No problem. It's a bit buried alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

My 300SE was failed on plates that the tester thought were illegal because of the blue strip not being there. I had a chat with his boss and got a new cert straight away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement