Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭garo

The person on that thread posts a response from Pylontech customer service.
    Hi Kay,

Thank you choose our product!

Just like telephone battery cell, all normal lithium battery will get hurt in low temperature working condition specially in charging mode. For longer cycle of life and calender life we limit the current in low or high temperature. You can google the knowlage of "Lithium dendrites" if you have interesting.

So our BMS of battery work together with inverter to limit the current to protect our battery cells. It is intelligent design.

My proposal is:

Install a heating system for our battery (heat in the cabinet). Rise the temperature above 10℃. And the battery's comfortable temperature is 18~28℃.
    Thanks and best regards!

Yes it does result in unnecessary export to the grid. I'm not sure what I can do to fix this.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

He acknowledges that the BMS will not let you charge the battery below 0C, which is sound. But he is nowhere suggesting that the amps should be limited to 10A under 10C, is he?

And installing a heating system is a pretty terrible suggestion. It will cost more to run than the solar will generate that day. But sure it will protect the battery and that is all the battery manufacturer is interested in. Tesla does this too in the Powerwall. Wait till Sir Liamalot reads this, he'll have a right rant :p

I'd say use common sense instead...

Read the thread will ya. The response from Pylontech was to a question about limiting charge to 10A per battery.

And yes heating the battery is a terrible idea.

garo wrote: »
    Read the thread will ya. The response from Pylontech was to a question about limiting charge to 10A per battery..

Am I missing something? The problem was the guy was wondering why if he switched on a function (dvcc), presumably on his Victron or his inverter and nothing to do with the battery itself that the Pylontech batteries (!) charged slower

And the answer from Pylontech was:

"Hi Kay,

Thank you choose our product!

Just like telephone battery cell, all normal lithium battery will get hurt in low temperature working condition specially in charging mode. For longer cycle of life and calender life we limit the current in low or high temperature. You can google the knowlage of "Lithium dendrites" if you have interesting.

So our BMS of battery work together with inverter to limit the current to protect our battery cells. It is intelligent design.

My proposal is:

Install a heating system for our battery (heat in the cabinet). Rise the temperature above 10℃. And the battery's comfortable temperature is 18~28℃.
    Thanks and best regards!"

Which is a very vague answer with no specs / parameters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Nice day, nice result, I'd say. ;)

501988.png

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Am I missing something? The problem was the guy was wondering why if he switched on a function (dvcc), presumably on his Victron or his inverter and nothing to do with the battery itself that the Pylontech batteries (!) charged slower

Which is a very vague answer with no specs / parameters

Agreed the answer is vague but I have searched the web and anecdotally there is charge limiting under 10C. This link has more info: https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/charging_at_high_and_low_temperatures
    Stands to reason that slower charging at lower temps helps preserve battery life. There is nothing in the manual indicating this si I will have to wait for a sunny warm day to confirm what I have observed.

If it was my battery, I'd give it the full amps from about 5C. Provided the BMS hasn't already some more sophistication built in other than temp <0C => charging is a no no :D

I do believe this charge limiting is coming from the BMS. Any idea how to access the BMS settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Lads can we keep this on track.

Solar PV Performance Thread - Post your monthly output

Thanks for the reminder. Could a mod move this discussion to the other thread?

• Advertisement

Good day today 18'1 kw.
    7 kw battery full by 1pm and water heated.
    Getting better day by day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Oh I’m all excited now with a full month performance nearly here to see how it’s going

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭championc

Interesting to note this morning that @ 09:00, with the sun at 13 deg high and off to the South East , my panels output was broadly similar to 21 Dec when the sun was at high noon due South, when also at 13 deg. So there is no great difference as to the direction from which the sun is shining, but all about the angle the sun hits your panels.

The following link is very useful - https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin?month=2&year=2020

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

Yeah good link. The orientation does matter depending on your panel tilt. Shallower tilts make orientation less relevant.

PS: Best day so far. Already at 12kWh at 1650 for a 4.8kW E/W system.

garo wrote: »
    Yeah good link. The orientation does matter depending on your panel tilt. Shallower tilts make orientation less relevant.

PS: Best day so far. Already at 12kW at 1650 for a 4.8kW E/W system.

Me too - I'm at 8.92kw @ 17:00 for 2.7kw South Facing

Sofar ME3000 Battery Storage Inverter for sale in Ballinteer, Sth. Dublin - see Adverts.ie - https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/solar-sofar-me3000-battery-storage-inverter/32914042 or PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

Best day yet here also(installed 31st of January), 6.4kWh from a 2.5kW system facing S-SE located Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

AND...happy harvesting to all of you, days longer, Sun waking up higher and happier on the sky...

Today, got 14.9KWh closing in the 12.9MWh ;)
    PV diverter, injected in the cylinder a mere 8KWh.

504051.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 eamon_l

2.7kWh produced do far today despite the storm warnings. South Dublin, 4.2kWh system east/west split (4/10). Very happy since my system was reconfigured.

Those with givenergy, is the website down? I cant get on since Thursday

championc wrote: »
    January - 75kw

2.7kw South Facing - South Dublin - 22 deg slope

February - 121.55kw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Winterman1234

2.5kw south east facing donegal

February Generation -82 kWh
    Grid consumption - 127kWh
    Hot Water(Eddi) - 38kWh

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    System 4.8kw SE north Wexford

Jan 130.6 kw

December 94 kw
    November 120.8 kw

Getting 3 more panels added at the end of Feb.
    The company are adding them for nothing as a thank you for some good sales leads.

South East in north Wexford.
    6.2kw (up graded from 4.8kw on feb 25)
    Feb 249.5kw generated

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭handpref

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Those with givenergy, is the website down? I cant get on since Thursday

It’s been down all right, back up as of this morning.

February -160 generated
    5.4 east west

• Registered Users Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

SSW facing 4.3 kW, Mayo/Roscommon border.

157.7 kWh in February.

Worst daily yield - 0.9 kWh on 7th.

Best daily yield - 15.8 kWh on 27th.

Average - approx. 5.44 kWh per day.

February
    Expected 143
    Actual 165
    4.8 kW E/W 24 degree tilt

Good month to make up for the poor Jan. March expected is 291 so we’re really starting to ramp up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

504283.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-01 at 09.17.41.png

219.9Kw For February from 5.4Kw SSW panels in Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 27 eamon_l

102kWh produced since the 14th Feb when my system was reconfigured. 4.2 kWh system on an East/West uneven split

255.1 generated in Feb
    175.2kWh battery throughput
    1107.60kWh House Consumption
    71.3kWh exported to the grid
    965.5 Grid import

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Gumbo wrote: »
    3kW system in Dublin 11.
    South facing.

Jan 2020 - 114.18 kWh generated.

Feb : 171.33 kWh generated.

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    1107.60kWh House Consumption

:eek:

That is 4 times as much electricity use as the national average!

Advertisement