Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do Recruiters Blacklist Candidates in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Another recruiter here.

My advice to the OP would be to try and get a hold of your recruiter for a quick catch up on what the market looks like and if there are any other suitable opportunities she feels she may be able to help you on. Take stock of where you're at with your job search and seek advice. What's gone wrong over the past three months? Are you applying for the right jobs? Are there options you could look that you haven't been considering? Does your CV / interview technique need work? Is your position typical of the industry you're in at the moment?

I've come across many candidates I would like to blacklist tbh. People who are lazy, only half-committed to their job search - these are the ones likely to embarrass you in interview the most. People who, like many in this thread here, think that I am some sort of scam artist and will be openly nasty to me for no apparent reason. Entitled people who think that they are somehow owed a list the length of my arm of job opportunities and are persistent in hassling me for updates sometimes quite aggressively, even if I have made clear I don't have anything for them. I've come across excellent excellent people who have disappeared off the face of the earth and completely ghosted me at the eleventh hour.

These people are the minority but you remember them for the wrong reasons. My background is in retail so I'm well able for dealing with rude / disrespectful people, and some of the genuine, excellent candidates who I've met and ultimately been able to place more than make up for some of the more painful ones.

I love my job, but it is high pressure and you need resilience. There are very few of the above that I would say I would never contact again - I try not to burn a bridge, you never know when a contact could be useful to have. Everyone takes a different approach though and I'm sure not every recruiter would be as easy-going!

Build the relationship with your recruiter but don't hound her. If she can help you, she will - it's in her interest to get you a job, remember, so keep in touch. But if she doesn't have anything she can help you with, leave it be and explore other avenues.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

seamus wrote: »
    Little white lies aren't that big a deal; inflating the extent of your responsibilities is easy enough, as is embellishing your job title or salary.

Nobody will ever check with social welfare unless you tell them you were unemployed.

But a company can't contact Social Welfare without your consent??
    References are not carried out to the extent they used to be, now it's more a 'statement of employment', this will include dates. A lot of companies are using HireRight and the likes so dates need to be fairly accurate.

and how does HireRight go about getting details of people's work history??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

frosty123 wrote: »

and how does HireRight go about getting details of people's work history??

The candidate completes a questionnaire with HireRight, this will be cross referenced with a CV and they contact employers on the CV to confirm dates and job title. Generally companies will only go to this length at offer stage.

To add, if there was a period of unemployment, HireRight and the likes tend to seek proof of this also.

If you want to PM me your CV with personal data removed I can review it and offer advice on it.

Whats gets me about rec agencies is that they promise you all sorts when you sign up initially ...and then you hear FA from them..if they don't have anything or unlikely to get you anything then..id wish theyd be more up front with you from the outset

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

Whats gets me about rec agencies is that they promise you all sorts when you sign up initially ...and then you hear FA from them..if they don't have anything or unlikely to get you anything then..id wish theyd be more up front with you from the outset

At the same time if they told you outright they have nothing for you you'd walk away thinking they're a useless prick. It's also pretty hard tell someone you won't be able to help them based purely on the fact you don't think their skills are relevant.
    They may actually have something for you in the future when a client gives them a role that suits.
    I've over 1,000 registered candidates in my name on my companies database alone. It's a very small percentage we actually get the work with and help but unless I meet someone who is completely irrelevant to the field I work in then I'd never say never to them.

• Advertisement

^^^^
    Over 1k candidates?? I take it you're in dublin?..

Btw-What job sector do you cater for?

As above I have 1000's of candidates registered with me, however, I know I am good at managing expectations.

I don't really advertise roles, generally reach out to people but I have two roles advertised at the moment and since yesterday I have 36 applications and only 2 of the 36 would have the right kind of experience, even at that they aren't an exact fit experience wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Yes of course they do,
    They all contact each other sharing information without a doubt.
    I'd say you should stear well clear if recruiting agencies

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yes of course they do,

Have you reported these agencies that are illegally sharing data to the Data Protection Commissioner?

Yes of course they do,

Have you any basis for this allegation?

• Advertisement

Have you reported these agencies that are illegally sharing data to the Data Protection Commissioner?

Yes

Have you any basis for this allegation?

Yes of course I do

Yes

When?

Yes

Oh well good. If you have reported them then they will be dealt with.

As for me, I have dealt with recruiters and have been in recruitment both internal and agency and I have never seen a recruiter or colleague share data with another agency. I don't see why any recruiter would do that, there would be nothing to gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭robodonkey

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Completely normal. Happened me a few times to apply for a cool job and when I went to the agents office that job never got discussed and they start talking about roles I had no interest in

In my younger days, same thing, there was no job - I was asked to come in for interview but really I was being pumped for information. When I queried why they were talking about people I might know that would be interested in jobs, I was told that was a scurrilous accusation and I would be blackballed. Never used that agency again, agency is one of the biggest in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Lux23 wrote: »
    Your age shouldn't even be on your CV.

It's normal to put your DOB surely?

J Mysterio wrote: »
    It's normal to put your DOB surely?
    No. Why would this be relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

^^^^
    Over 1k candidates?? I take it you're in dublin?..

Btw-What job sector do you cater for?

I am indeed.
    To avoid outing myself as some people know I use this site I'll say broadly finance/financial services.

joe199 wrote: »
    Scroungers is what they really are let's be honest hear.

My opinion is: Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, become recruitment consultants.

Sorry to any teachers out there.

I had a long call with a recruiter recently. Told her what I was looking for. Security, Pen Testing etc. She emailed me on Wednesday about an "exciting" role deploying Office365. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

There's nothing wrong with being a recruiter, and there's nothing wrong with using a recruiter.

The problem is the lack of professional courtesy - all it takes is a quick follow-up e-mail.

"I'm sorry Joe, the employer doesn't want to proceed with your application".

"I'm sorry Joe, I have nothing for you at the moment".

These can even be templates which are sent to the jobseeker with the click of a button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Oh well good. If you have reported them then they will be dealt with.

As for me, I have dealt with recruiters and have been in recruitment both internal and agency and I have never seen a recruiter or colleague share data with another agency. I don't see why any recruiter would do that, there would be nothing to gain.

If a recruiter from another agency (who recruited in the same space as myself) contacted me to tell me about a candidate who should be avoided at all costs - the first thing I would do is contact that candidate and try and get them on side (if they have a good CV). Why? Because the other agency has told me that they won't work with this candidate. I know this candidate is actively looking for work so if the other agency doesn't want to place them, if I believe I can, then I will.

Sure recruiters are all competing with one another, we're not buddies. There are a ridiculous number of agencies given most industries are short of candidates at the moment. It's not like accountants meeting other accountants in a pub and chatting about their offices - there's a real sense of competition in the industry, so we're certainly not trying to help one another out by sharing data or info on candidates or clients. It's just not in anyone's interest.

OMM 0000 wrote: »

The problem is the lack of professional courtesy - all it takes is a quick follow-up e-mail.

"I'm sorry Joe, I have nothing for you at the moment".

These can even be templates which are
    sent to the jobseeker with the click of a
    button.

Thats exactly what im getting at..the sheer lack of courtesy. .surely it wouldn't kill them to send off a quick email just to
    acknowledge your application..I actually thought there was something wrong with
    my phone at one stage

Relieved to know im not the only one

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Annascaul

I have reason to believe that the Irish / US American Inside Sales Industry in Dublin is practicing blacklisting. Whether that is with recruiters or if these companies have some kind of communication between them, I can't say. However it's possible that HR departments do have access to some kind of "shared information......

I was once fired for a minor reason, within 6 weeks into my employment for a US company based in Dublin. The reason for getting fired was that my manager described the role considerably different that it turned out to be. The company also paid a rather good amount of relocation fee, myself moving from overseas, around 10 K, which I got to keep in the event that I would leave employment not on my own volition. In the end, I walked away with roughly 15 K within 6 weeks of "work".

The fact that Ireland is a small country it's not that these kind of things do go unnoticed.

I haven't been able to get any employment in the Inside Sales roles in Dublin, not even had any resonance to my CV from the various job boards in Dublin. My CV gets resonance everywhere else, but not in Ireland, even though that kind of work is always looking for new candidates. No email, not even a phone call.....

I recruit in that space and can tell you there is no shared database or whatever you allude to.

What I can tell you is you work in a hugely competitive area and everybody who has ever sold anything is trying to get into software sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Annascaul wrote: »
    I haven't been able to get any employment in the Inside Sales roles in Dublin, not even had any resonance to my CV from the various job boards in Dublin. My CV gets resonance everywhere else, but not in Ireland, even though that kind of work is always looking for new candidates. No email, not even a phone call.....

You're being paranoid.

There's something wrong with your cover letter or CV.

You can PM them to me and I'll take a look.

I recruit in that space and can tell you there is no shared database or whatever you allude to.

What I can tell you is you work in a hugely competitive area and everybody who has ever sold anything is trying to get into software sales.

Maybe not the recruiters, but more the business doing the actual hiring.

It may also be only coincidence as well.

I am just surprised that I get more traction in the UK than in Ireland, for the same kind of roles / jobs and in the same industry, an industry I have worked for for many years.

Annascaul wrote: »
    Maybe not the recruiters, but more the business doing the actual hiring.

It may also be only coincidence as well.

I am just surprised that I get more traction in the UK than in Ireland, for the same kind of roles / jobs and in the same industry, an industry I have worked for for many years.

Happy to review your CV if you want to send it over by PM, remove personal info if you wish.

I have worked in internal and agency recruitment and I can tell you there is no shared info or info shared between these companies.

However, if you are at later stages of the recruitment process I would expect a hiring manager to chat to anybody they may know that may know you.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sura28

^^^^^^

I was thinking that...can anyone in the recruitment/HR game confirm this??

Should I go as far as to lie about my age on my CV?? cause im desperate at this stage

You shouldn’t include your age in your CV, nor gender, civil status, etc.
    You should have someone have a look at your CV first and give you an honest opinion.
    Tailor your CV and Cover letter to the role you are applying for and exclude anything that is not relevant.
    I work in HR

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sura28

So should I increase the dates of my employment to fill up the gaps?

Or do employers/recruiters check up with social welfare on candidates ?

Don’t lie on your CV.
    Try to upskill if possible.
    If you’ve done some volunteering, courses, etc you can fill your gaps with these.
    If you have taken a break I would be honest.
    Loads of people take breaks due to child rearing, being a career, etc.

• Advertisement

Happy to review your CV if you want to send it over by PM, remove personal info if you wish.

I have worked in internal and agency recruitment and I can tell you there is no shared info or info shared between these companies.

However, if you are at later stages of the recruitment process I would expect a hiring manager to chat to anybody they may know that may know you.

Thanks for offering your help, however it won't be necessary. It's not that I am not getting anywhere either, plus I've had my CV reviewed several times before. It's just that in Ireland I am not getting any traction and it may be so that "they may know somebody who may know me". In the end it's not a physical black list, but "knowledge in the industry", or simply "bad reputation".

And yes, the inside sales world in Dublin can be highly competitive and sometimes not really fair. Employees seem to come and go at most US American inside sales departments in Dublin. Either it's sales targets and not achieving them, frequent changes in management styles and objectives combined with the price of rental property these days..... In some cases it's just as simple as missing home, missing family and friends.

In that particular role where I was sacked only after 6 week, none of my peers who stared at the same day are with the organization after 2 years. Everybody moved either on or left after one year. It's a fast paced environment, and the recruiters seem to are having a good business....

Advertisement