Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

The patronage of the Ennis-Athenry section is barely below the patronage of Limerick-Ennis, and Manulla-Ballina.
    I think it is harsh to suggest closing down these lines.
    While I'm not too sure how many here are advocating that, the main feeling here of Greenway supporters is not to repeat previous mistakes, and to use the line north of Athenry for a public good - and which enjoys popular support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

serfboard wrote: »
    While I'm not too sure how many here are advocating that, the main feeling here of Greenway supporters is not to repeat previous mistakes, and to use the line north of Athenry for a public good - and which enjoys popular support.

I dunno about popular support, the Athenry St. Patricks Day parade last year had bikes in it's theme.... they talked about entering, but not one advocate for the Quiet Man Greenway turned up on a bike.

I suspect they're not marching for a cycleway, they're marching for their small town economy, tourism & money it will bring.... They were denied the rail for so long now....

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. Proverbs 13:12.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShaneC1600

Also, the WRC does not qualify for TEN-T funding no matter what way you try to dress it up, it just simply does not meet the criteria

Why would the WRC not qualify?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ShaneC1600 wrote: »
    Why would the WRC not qualify?

Because it's not in TEN-T quite simply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Greaney wrote: »
    I dunno about popular support
    Well I do and I've just posted the link to prove it which you've ignored.
    the Athenry St. Patricks Day parade last year had bikes in it's theme.... they talked about entering, but not one advocate for the Quiet Man Greenway turned up on a bike.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything ... the QMG doesn't have popular support because no-one from the campaign showed up on a bike in a St. Patrick's day parade in Athenry? :confused:

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Because it's not in TEN-T quite simply

So it doesn’t qualify because it isn’t in it. K so

serfboard wrote: »
    I'm not sure what that has to do with anything ... the QMG doesn't have popular support because no-one from the campaign showed up on a bike in a St. Patrick's day parade in Athenry? :confused:

It illustrates their commitment to their 'cause' in Athenry. Not much. They're not cycle advocates. Athenry was the place that the pro-rail meeting happened because Athenry actually experiences how much people really use the railway.

The quietman greenway facebook page deletes and bans anyone that had a disenting view other than theirs so I can understand how folk think there's no support for the railway. But there is another page that's pro-rail... and that campaign sucessfully got phase 1 opened...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

The patronage of the Ennis-Athenry section is barely below the patronage of Limerick-Ennis, and Manulla-Ballina.
    I think it is harsh to suggest closing down these lines.

I wasn't suggesting closing it down, just pointing out that it's not the success that Sean Canney claims it is.

It illustrates their commitment to their 'cause' in Athenry. Not much. They're not cycle advocates. Athenry was the place that the pro-rail meeting happened because Athenry actually experiences how much people really use the railway.

The quietman greenway facebook page deletes and bans anyone that had a disenting view other than theirs so I can understand how folk think there's no support for the railway. But there is another page that's pro-rail... and that campaign sucessfully got phase 1 opened...

That campaign was based on a 'build it first, and work out the business case later' type of thinking that was common enough when Charlie McCreevy couldn't wait to spend all the stamp duty he was collecting from the housing bubble.
    Those days are gone, but the rail campaign can't seem to accept that. They live in hope that somehow the ducks will line up again and some Taoiseach will throw a few hundred million at the project just to get support from a WOT TD whose vote makes the difference.
    But they can't seem to grasp that they had that lever last time around, and all it could produce was a rail report, a report so damning of the case for rail north of athenry that the same lever had to be used to make sure it never saw the light of day.

Everyone keeps talking about the numbers on the train, but no new figures have been released so I'm not quiet sure what they mean.

From looking at the train pulling out of Athenry going south, or pulling in from Craughwell in the mornings, the numbers have clearly been growing, a lot, and it's quiet a busy train now. I'm astonished folk keep saying it's empty. No one who uses it, or.... looks at it, would say that.

• Advertisement

eastwest wrote: »
    But they can't seem to grasp that they had that lever last time around, and all it could produce was a rail report, a report so damning of the case for rail north of athenry that the same lever had to be used to make sure it never saw the light of day.

So you have seen the report? Tell more please. I'm very interested. What was the conclusions???

Everyone keeps talking about the numbers on the train, but no new figures have been released so I'm not quiet sure what they mean.

From looking at the train pulling out of Athenry going south, or pulling in from Craughwell in the mornings, the numbers have clearly been growing, a lot, and it's quiet a busy train now. I'm astonished folk keep saying it's empty. No one who uses it, or.... looks at it, would say that.

If they keep saying it is empty people will believe it, also most of who say it don't use it or ever see it and only have their 39 a day number from CC or 39 a train by last set of numbers. I wonder when will the most up to date figures be released? Definitely looks to be a big increase in patronage in the last number of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

That campaign was based on a 'build it first, and work out the business case later' type of thinking that was common enough when Charlie McCreevy couldn't wait to spend all the stamp duty he was collecting from the housing bubble.
    Those days are gone, but the rail campaign can't seem to accept that. They live in hope that somehow the ducks will line up again and some Taoiseach will throw a few hundred million at the project just to get support from a WOT TD whose vote makes the difference.

I believe that if the WRC was extended to Tuam or Claremorris or Collooney that it wouldnt be profitable on Day 1, after Year 1 and maybe not even after Year 5.

But look at the mass migration from west to east, from our rural areas to economic centers. How do we either prevent or support that or both? Galway's population is going to grow by 50% by 2025, where will people live and how will they get from A to B?

If Dublin was rebuilt in the morning would people wait for the population to increase before putting in public transport? No. We need to build for the future. Knock it back as anecdotal, but this is what we need to do.

I believe that if the WRC was extended to Tuam or Claremorris or Collooney that it wouldnt be profitable on Day 1, after Year 1 and maybe not even after Year 5.

But look at the mass migration from west to east, from our rural areas to economic centers. How do we either prevent or support that or both? Galway's population is going to grow by 50% by 2025, where will people live and how will they get from A to B?

If Dublin was rebuilt in the morning would people wait for the population to increase before putting in public transport? No. We need to build for the future. Knock it back as anecdotal, but this is what we need to do.

That is why there is such a big push to get the greenway now. The longer it goes on the more likely it is to have the railway reopened. A better spend of several million euro this minute would be a cycle track from Oranmore to galway via Parkmore or of course we could stick a greenway on a direct link from north Galway that travels directly into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

If you are building for the future, you would build a new line via Claregalway and the industrial estates north of Galway. A hell of a lot more useful for people commuting to Galway, and suburban traffic in the city

If you are building for the future, you would build a new line via Claregalway and the industrial estates north of Galway. A hell of a lot more useful for people commuting to Galway, and suburban traffic in the city

I hear you but this is where we probably have to be realistic. The city can't get a ringroad, that everyone agrees is needed, built. The WRC has the land all but ready to go, simply re-instating something that was there in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

realistically, a train from Tuam would entail changing at Athenry. Not likely to be a popular option.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

I hear you but this is where we probably have to be realistic. The city can't get a ringroad, that everyone agrees is needed, built. The WRC has the land all but ready to go, simply re-instating something that was there in the past.

I don't see any point in fighting for a rail line to somewhere no one wants to go. Much better to fight for a rail line that people would actually use.

To get from Tuam to Mervue with the WRC would likely involve two trains and a bus. No one is going to do that if they can drive or get a direct bus from Tuam

But that is not going to happen no matter what. The railway has predated all building activity in the country. The fact that we did not utilize the service is our own fault. We should have prioritised construction around stations, IDA should have purchased land surrounding or adjoining the railway. We can't go back but we can change the way we plan for the future. Athenry looks like it could be a hub for alot of activity in the next few years if the government wanted or local politicians for that matter. The IDA site needs to be serviced. If even one of the medical factories moved some R&D to athenry surely more would follow. Then there would be connectivity to where people wanted to go.
    Parkmore is beyond capacity, especially for transport whereas Athenry is primed for development. Motorway access north, south east and west. Railway access same directions. Crazy to keep putting buildings and more people in Parkmore when this right on the doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭what_traffic

ShaneC1600 wrote: »
    Crazy to keep putting buildings and more people in Parkmore when this right on the doorstep.

I agree with most of your post - but is it really that crazy?
    Alot of the expansion of Parkmore is based on the current occupiers adding additional buildings. Why would they want to split operations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Isambard wrote: »
    realistically, a train from Tuam would entail changing at Athenry. Not likely to be a popular option.

Realistically there could be double track from Galway to Athenry.

Clearly an impossibility in Ireland for some.

Folk going from Athlone, Ballinasloe etc. to Ennis Limerick have no issues with changing in Athenry. Irish rail, for all their faults, seem to have co-ordinated it so the trains are in the station at the same time. I see a good 15-20 dashing across the bridge between the two trains on the Sunday evening service when they both pull into Athenry. That's not including those who are just on the train already or embarking from Athenry.

Unfortunately that's what gave us the debacle of ennis athenry, building infrastructure based on a gut feeling and guesswork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Unfortunately that's what gave us the debacle of ennis athenry, building infrastructure based on a gut feeling and guesswork.

The only ones saying that are you and your cohort in the anti rail campaign.

Realistically there could be double track from Galway to Athenry.
    Build that. Create 2/3 NEW stations as well while doing it.

Build that. Create 2/3 NEW stations as well while doing it.

Galway City Council are calling for that. IE have said they're positively disposed to the double tracking for a start. I'd imagine this would take time and disruption, bridges and level crossings would take work.

I'm certainly for it, but I think it would take years to deliver?

Galway City Council are calling for that. IE have said they're positively disposed to the double tracking for a start. I'd imagine this would take time and disruption, bridges and level crossings would take work.

Yes Alas, it all takes years to happen... West on Track started in 2003 but there was a campaign going long before that. The Athenry to Tuam section was to be built in 2011 so you can see how projects can stall without political will... And politics will always go with short term goals (votes) over long term stratagey ( the common good)

Yes - but it will be worth delivering as it will be used.

Yes - but it will be worth delivering as it will be used.

For sure, but worth factoring into the WRC discussion. There would be little point in connecting Claremorris to Athenry only for Athenry to be cut off from Galway for a year (?) while they double track the line.

If double tracking is a runner it should probably be done first. I know doing them in tandem would be most ideal but that doesn't exactly happen with the funding and political will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the problem is that without any sort of timetable, i would suggest that this can only ever be speculation, as historical services from over 40 years ago aren't really a viable guide to modern day services and operations on a line if reopened, and using them to judge how things would be done doesn't stack up given other previous reopenings.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement