Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election and Government Formation Megathread (see post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So the Sinn Fein poll is saying that FG will get their lowest percentage of the vote in their history( lowest previously is 19.8 % in 1948 with 31 seats ) ?

I think FG will lose seats but 17 percent isn't happening.

Indeed, the disastrous FF government of 2011 which had just crashed the economy got 17.5%

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Why would it be unstable, present Govn't in Finland is 4 parties.
    All of these are not very far apart on the political spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Water John wrote: »

Finland has a history of stable multi party coalitions. Ireland, well, doesn't - except for the Rainbow and two of the three merged within two years of it ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well Ireland isn't Finland. I'm of the opinion that the more parties in government the more TDs that could get the hump and cause problems. It's normally been FF/FG and a mudguard of a party.

The Lb and Soc Dems may re merge having worked together in Govn't.
    The Rainbow Govn't was indeed stable even if FG and DL came from the very ends of the political spectrum.

• Advertisement

The Lb and Soc Dems may re merge having worked together in Govn't.
    The Rainbow Govn't was indeed stable even if FG and DL came from the very ends of the political spectrum.

What political gene pool would Catherine Murphy be from ? She came into the dail as an independent didn't she ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

What political gene pool would Catherine Murphy be from ? She came into the dail as an independent didn't she ?

Was she not a workers party/DL Councillor beforehand?

I don't know being honest. I know she was an independent TD and then there was the Denis O Brien issue which was honestly the time I first really came to know who she was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Ruth Coppingers seat must be under pressure, it's the first time i've seen her with makeup on since she was elected.

It seems that now a storm will roll in on Sat. Originally thought this would hold till Sunday. Might supress turnout a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I wasn't calling it unstable due to the number of parties (although that certainly doesn't help). I was calling it unstable because even with 4 parties it couldn't reach 80. In reality you want to have at least 83 or 84 (to insulate from defections, resignatons, deaths or other unexpected losses) so you'd then need a bunch of independents. Each separate independent ratchets up the complexity of the government talks.

There is recent precedence for this though. In 2007 the majority required was 84 and the government managed to get a working majority of 89 with FF (77), the Greens (6), PDs (2) + 4 Independents.

It seems that now a storm will roll in on Sat. Originally thought this would hold till Sunday. Might supress turnout a little.

Earlier Saturday then as I'd heard Saturday night Sunday morning. Low turnout doesn't help SF sure it doesn't ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yes and she also had a brief period in the Labour party before quitting that and going Independent. She won Charlie McCreavey's seat as an Independent in the by-election when he went off to Europe.

mgn wrote: »
    Ruth Coppingers seat must be under pressure, it's the first time i've seen her with makeup on since she was elected.

I'd say she isn't the only member of that group under the kosh. What TV Programme is she on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Survation have a good record in the UK. I wouldn't discount that poll out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

She was in the Labour party, but left them a long time ago. She was also in the Worker's Party way back in the day, and Democratic Left between that and Labour, so she's been around the block.

For someone who is normally so competent and effective, I was surprised at how poor she was in the 7 way leader's debate, but she'll walk Kildare North.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,490 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

droidus wrote: »
    Survation have a good record in the UK. I wouldn't discount that poll out of hand.

If there is a massive protest vote welling up then that would explain the left being so high.

But as said, a political party poll should be treated very cautiously.

Leaders Debate requires a specific skill set. I don't overuse to judge a politician and their competence ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I don't know being honest. I know she was an independent TD and then there was the Denis O Brien issue which was honestly the time I first really came to know who she was.

Yeah according to her Wiki she was a few years in Labout after the Merger with DL, then stood as an indo and won McCreeveys seat when he became EU commissioner, in a bye-election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Murphy_(politician)

Edit:Sorry, most of this is a repeat of what was said upthread, Didn't see the replies until i'd posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

The Spring Tide, the Gilmore Gale, now Storm Mary Lou.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

My point was about economic issues and self righteousness and using the term populism.

None of the examples of negative populism I gave were economic though, maybe rhetoric against "welfare spongers" could be classed as quasi-economic populism but it's more about the creation of an out group to vilify.

Interestingly, Eoin O'Broin himself proclaims that Sinn Fein are a populist party, and has even written an article called "In Defence Of Populism".

https://magill.ie/politics/defence-populism

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In theory, if a really large number of people were unhappy and spoiled their votes, that would get some attention. Say the spoiled votes quadrupled from last time, people would sit up.

In practice this is not going to happen, but in practice your individual vote is extremely unlikely to matter anyway, so do whatever makes you feel better even if it is spoiling your vote.
    I think turnout, rather than the spoiled votes tally, functions as an indicator of alienation on the part of the electorate. Politicians fret much more about a fall in turnout, because that indicates that people who were motivated to vote in the past have now turned off. Whereas spoiled votes may indicate (a) people who will never be satisfied, or (b) people who are a bit dim as much as (c) people who are registering a protest.

You want to communicate your protest to your TD? Write him a letter. He'll pay far more attention to one letter than to a thousand spoiled votes, and the letter will much more effectively communicate the reason for your protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I don't think turnout is a good measure.

If turnout is low, are people alienated or are they just not bothered because things are going OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,243 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't think turnout is a good measure.

If turnout is low, are people alienated or are they just not bothered because things are going OK?
    Or is turnout low because, on the day, the weather was foul?

You always have to read the entrails. The point is that experience shows that people who are alienated are far more likely to respond by not voting than by going to the polling station and writing naughty words on the ballot paper. So politicians and parties treat the turnout, not the spoiled vote rate, as a much more useful metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I can’t fricking wait till Sunday and exit Poll Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

droidus wrote: »
    Britain is easier to predict with its FPTP. STV is not an easy one to call at all and as someone pointed out above just because a party seems to have support doesn't mean they'll reap the rewards in constituencies but just putting up a candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Just for fun the lowest FG percentage of the vote was in 1948 with 19.8 % of the vote and it's highest is in November 1982 with 39.2 % and 70 seats.

FF lowest was 2011 with 17.5 % of the vote and 20 seats. Their highest is 51.9 % and 77 seats in 1939.
    In these other examples the competing party was way out ahead not neck and neck so headline percentage points play a lesser part in this election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Another day and the Indo are right at it again. Nice nasty little digs swipes aimed at MM and MLM. How they could get away with this clear pro-FG bias, that even Fox News will be most proud of, is a damning indictment on the mainstream media.

As the auld saying goes Kevin Keegan style "I'll luv it if we beat them". Note the we relates to Leo and co.

#bewaretheIndo

• Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

She was in the Labour party, but left them a long time ago. She was also in the Worker's Party way back in the day, and Democratic Left between that and Labour, so she's been around the block.

For someone who is normally so competent and effective, I was surprised at how poor she was in the 7 way leader's debate, but she'll walk Kildare North.

The WP-DL-Labour thing was all the one party with renames and a merger.

She left Labour in fractious circumstances in the early 2000s and stayed Independent until there became the opportunity to form the SDs due to there being plenty of similar ex-Labour reps around to create the critical mass from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are there any more reputable polls supposed to be coming out?

Be interesting to see if Tuesday night's circus will have made any change.

Advertisement