Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I leave the Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Ok now go, walk that door, don’t turn around now, your not welcome anymore....

...sorry, couldn’t help myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Walking out, stop associating etc is fine.

What pisses me off is when the RCC announces there are X billion Catholics in the world, and I'm part of that stat. My name is being used to promote the club I left and want no part in.

How it's legal now ive no idea, surely you've a right to be deleted. But the RCC say once your babtised you can't undo it.

And that's magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hoboo wrote: »

What pisses me off is when the RCC announces there are X billion Catholics in the world, and I'm part of that stat. My name is being used to promote the club I left and want no part in.

How it's legal now ive no idea, surely you've a right to be deleted. But the RCC say once your babtised you can't undo it.

And that's magic.

It's an historical record and as such can't be deleted from the baptismal register. There's been debate on this elsewhere on boards.

Think of all the Americans who would never have known their heritage if their ancestors erased their records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Stand up, walk to the door, walk out, don't walk back in again. Simples.

I agree.I think the Catholic Church used to have a mechanism to formally renounce. That's gone
    Thankfully because it allowed every egotist to waste church time. If you don't believe in God why bother
    As for those who have issues about the institution but believe then simply find another church or pray at home. Or see a redress board. That's not dismissing abuse cases it's just the proper forum.

In the end you seem to have a bug bear over this for no particular reason. Nobody is dragging you in the door.
    Seems silly.
    See what the church of Ireland says when you write to them but I hope you have a serious reason and not simply grand standing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The Roman Catholic Church is ike a psycho ex who keeps saying you're still in relationship years after breaking up.

• Advertisement

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I agree.I think the Catholic Church used to have a mechanism to formally renounce. That's gone. In the end you seem to have a bug bear over this for no particular reason. Nobody is dragging you in the door.
    Seems silly.
    See what the church of Ireland says when you write to them but I hope you have a serious reason and not simply grand standing
    I got a call from the new curate of my Methodist church when I was 16. He said he saw I hadn't been there for a long time and did I want to be taken off the books? I said yes thanks. That was all there was to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

looksee wrote: »
    If you were confirmed unwillingly then presumably it didn't 'take'! You have never been Confirmed - there may have been a ceremony but it was empty words. As has already been said, don't go and don't describe yourself as CofI on the census or when being admitted to hospital ( :rolleyes: ) or at any other time. That's it.

Your parents are a different matter, but maybe just forgive and forget in that case too, there are more important things in life.

Absolutely. Grow up. Stop blaming others. Parents 'indoctrinate' their children in religions invariably out of love/concern/fear.

My parents ate meat. A number of us stopped. They did too eventually. All ethical vegans, formerly townies with a farm. My father for a decade before he died. my mother for 20 years now. My point is, you could be tyrannical in your beliefs and blame your parents for poisoning your mind/body/soul before you reached a sound age of judgement; or you can cop yourself on and be the light to help others see.
    If you want to leave, just leave?
    It's a fine philosophical idea, letting your child choose whether they want to follow certain cultural norms or not. But when you're a parent or mentor/guardian yourself, you may not feel so rational and enlightened.
    Parents worry; they try their best.

Best of luck to you in your life/spiritual journey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It's an historical record and as such can't be deleted from the baptismal register. There's been debate on this elsewhere on boards.

Think of all the Americans who would never have known their heritage if their ancestors erased their records.

It may be a historical record that does not mean it reflects the facts when it comes to tracing heritage so that's a poor argument. Plus there is no reason a historical record cannot be amended - not deleted - amended.
    I deal with historical records all the time and they are frequently amended, have annotations added etc etc. Those are the best kind of records when it comes to providing information.

I managed to officially defect when it was still possible to do so, as a result the baptismal record shows that I was baptised when I was 3 days old but when I was 43 years old I formally renounced any connection to the Roman Catholic Church.
    That is an accurate historical record, if left un-amended any future researchers looking for their heritage would incorrectly assume I was a Roman Catholic.

From the social history aspect amended baptismal records which show official defections would also be invaluable in demonstrating if there had been a trend towards leaving.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It may be a historical record that does not mean it reflects the facts when it comes to tracing heritage so that's a poor argument. Plus there is no reason a historical record cannot be amended - not deleted - amended.
    I deal with historical records all the time and they are frequently amended, have annotations added etc etc. Those are the best kind of records when it comes to providing information.

I managed to officially defect when it was still possible to do so, as a result the baptismal record shows that I was baptised when I was 3 days old but when I was 43 years old I formally renounced any connection to the Roman Catholic Church.
    That is an accurate historical record, if left un-amended any future researchers looking for their heritage would incorrectly assume I was a Roman Catholic.

From the social history aspect amended baptismal records which show official defections would also be invaluable in demonstrating if there had been a trend towards leaving.
    I agree but people want the record erased. That was my point.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I agree but people want the record erased. That was my point.

I don't think there was a call for it to be erased but amended to show the person had officially left and could no longer be counted in the stats.
    A simple line through the original text which would leave it still legible plus an annotation would suffice.
    Then it would be both 'erased' and extant.

You actually see this happening quite often in census returns - particularity in the case of a recent death (usually of an infant). The name that technically shouldn't be there isn't 'erased' by the returns officer in the sense of being completely removed from the document, it is 'erased' by having a line drawn through it but remains legible.

The 'historical record' argument really doesn't hold up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just stop going for fecks sake, op.
    If you have to ask this question then boy, you really need to evalute how you handle things. Just never go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Strong smell of "saw the thread on the home page, read the OP and waded in" off that post.

It's not that simple. Nearly 35 years on the RCC can still claim I'm a member, and I'm not happy about that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Just fill out form 12A and post it to the Archbishop's office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Strong smell of "saw the thread on the home page, read the OP and waded in" off that post.

It's not that simple. Nearly 35 years on the RCC can still claim I'm a member, and I'm not happy about that.

I will continue to pray for you though !😜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Hoboo wrote: »

Oh cool, when have they said that? Can I have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

Beware that your not throwing your own soul into the fire .... rejecting God's salvation through his church is a dangerous thing to do .... Hell is real ... Rejecting Salvation is frankly ....nuts....:eek:

Yeah and Superman is a real person. Pull the other one

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭10fathoms

hinault wrote: »
    True.

Interesting that the poster also doesn't lay any blame at his/her legal guardians who (rightly) had him/her baptised.

"(Rightly)" what was right about it??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Beware that your not throwing your own soul into the fire .... rejecting God's salvation through his church is a dangerous thing to do .... Hell is real ... Rejecting Salvation is frankly ....nuts....:eek:

The real god doesn't care about salvation as part of organised religion. You need to know that.

10fathoms wrote: »
    "(Rightly)" what was right about it??

Hinault is ultra orthodox RC!! more Catholic than the Pope who if i remember correctly he doesn't consider to be a real pope due to his liberal leanings.

Glad to see him back , he was always fun to read :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The OP wants to leave Church of Ireland and gets lots of replies raging about Catholicism :confused:

• Advertisement

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The OP wants to leave Church of Ireland and gets lots of replies raging about Catholicism :confused:
    Church of Ireland is Anglican Catholic.

mikemac2 wrote: »

There seems to be a lot of... obsessed atheists hanging around in pretty much every thread. Maybe someday they'll get their own homeland :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There seems to be a lot of... obsessed atheists hanging around in pretty much every thread. Maybe someday they'll get their own homeland :pac:

If you read many of the recent threads, you'll notice they're specifically looking for opinions of non-Christians. Similarly, if you look at the charter of this forum you'll note it welcomes posters regardless of their religion or lack thereof.

That said, do feel free to drop by the homeland sometime and say hi :)

smacl wrote: »
    If you read many of the recent threads, you'll notice they're specifically looking for opinions of non-Christians. Similarly, if you look at the charter of this forum you'll note it welcomes posters regardless of their religion or lack thereof.

Yeah... never said that wasn't the case... but thanks. I read many threads, regardless of the OP/topic it's usually 4 or so posts before en enlightened one bursts the door in with sheer logic and conviction :pac:

Tbh you couldn't pay me enough to frequent a forum full of that!

And as a reader of the past, it's quite clear that this place is the proverbial ghosttown owing in large part to that charter not reflecting the regulars (well the once were regulars.

Anyways I'll no doubt get a warning over this so carrying on... damn sky fairy believers keeping me as number in their accounting books!!!!!! OUTRAGE!!!! (Am I doing it right?)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

ask any priest to show you his back door

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

i used to go to a local nightclub once a week.

im sure theyd have me on a mailing list somewhere as a member of some sort

stopped going.

dont care if they still have me down on that list.

you don't "leave" the church, or any other service.

you just stop going.

Lots of people don't want to be counted when people make claims such as 'this is a catholic country' or there are x% Catholics in the country etc. I was able to leave via the Count Me Out campaign but this was discontinued because the church couldn't cope with the volumes.

Well, yeah. I mean, in one sense the RCC being technically able to claim me as a member makes no difference whatsoever to my life. But in another way, being able to claim vast numbers of lapsed/ex-catholics/census box-tickers as if they were active members is shoring up the RCC's political influence and social control especially in education and health.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

Well, yeah. I mean, in one sense the RCC being technically able to claim me as a member makes no difference whatsoever to my life. But in another way, being able to claim vast numbers of lapsed/ex-catholics/census box-tickers as if they were active members is shoring up the RCC's political influence and social control especially in education and health.

If people actually want to tick the box on the census that's none of your business.

For state purposes RCC numbers of baptisms / numbers of members should be ignored and the census figures should be used.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If people actually want to tick the box on the census that's none of your business.

For state purposes RCC numbers of baptisms / numbers of members should be ignored and the census figures should be used.

Used for what exactly?

• Advertisement

It's very much part of my business because these ticks under false pretences are used to justify an education system which discriminates against my family and every other non-catholic family.

Why would a supposedly secular state want to know or care about how many people claim to be a certain religion or not?
    It should make no difference whatsoever to provision of any state-funded service.

Advertisement