Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards GS 1st Outing - Portmarnock Links - 22nd February 2020 - 11am

Options
  • 02-02-2020 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

The time has finally arrived to kick off the 2020 season, and the road to the Ryder Jug starts in style with a trip to Portmarnock Links.(https://www.portmarnock.com/golf.html)

golf002.jpg

From their site:
    Situated on the shoreline of a rugged peninsula, The Links Portmarnock was the first golf course that International Management Group (IMG) developed in Ireland and opened for play in 1995.

It was therefore fitting that Bernhard Langer chose this magnificent setting to design his first links course being a three time winner of the Irish Open at nearby Portmarnock Golf Club and The Royal Dublin Golf Club. Along with architect Stan Eby they designed a course that is a challenge for all golfers, set in the grounds of the old Jameson Estate of St. Marnocks, the course has played host to professional and amateur events including 2008 and 2009 Ladies Irish Open

Recent investments included upgraded machinery, extensive upgrades of the course, the creation of a short game area, riveting of traditional links pot bunkers, grass pathway and enhancements that make full use of the dunes and natural terrain.

Those who have played the course already know about the quality, and for the first timers you're in for a real treat playing in perfect conditions on a championship course at this time of year.

The tees are booked from 11-12.20.

The green fee on the day will be €55. We would also look to collect the society membership on that day too which is €30 for the year.

Teamer notifications will be out shortly. Can you please accept only if you're committed & should circumstances change let us know as early as possible as there is a cost to the society once numbers are committed.

Looking forward to seeing some of the old familiars and all the new faces.

A special thanks to Golfgraffix for helping get the booking sorted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Had hoped to make it back to the society but alas due to unforeseen circumstances can't travel on Saturday mornings. Wishing you all the best Space in your role this year and look forward to reading the reports after each outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

looks class to be fair. wish i could make some of these outings

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Finally, seems like forever since I’ve seen a golf course.
    As ever looking forward to the links and the society banter.

Teamer invites just sent out there, see ya all in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Just accepted. Can i request the last tee time please? Missus has a run that morning so will be under pressure to get there any earlier. Thanks a mill. Ballyman

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

Thanks, looking forward to the first outing of the season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Can visitors come, and if so, how much?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Can visitors come, and if so, how much?

I expect the numbers will be tight on this one so members first. If we still have spots available in the run up we will open to visitors

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking forward to it.

If anyone needs a lift from Offaly/Meath/Kildare, let me know. Got a few myself last year, so happy to pay it forward this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seve OB wrote: »
    I expect the numbers will be tight on this one so members first. If we still have spots available in the run up we will open to visitors

I'd say you're right Seve. Already 27 accepted on Teamer & we've a max of 36 slots available.

Few of the regulars haven't accepted yet either as far as I can see.

If we have space Slave we'll absolutely accommodate visitors but want to make sure we prioritise the members first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

In fairness it only costs 85 quid to be not a visitor!! (versus 55 green fee)

Looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Course looks amazing.
    Little bit nervous but hopefully can get past the 1st tee box ha ha.
    Really looking forward to the first outing
    Here's to a great year of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Hi all, was just wondering about the teamer app. I downloaded it and all but no request has come through yet. If anyone can help that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Hi KevH, did you send on all your details to SeveOB?

Snackbox20 wrote: »
    Course looks amazing.
    Little bit nervous but hopefully can get past the 1st tee box ha ha.
    Really looking forward to the first outing
    Here's to a great year of golf.

No need for nerves, we're not that bad...for a bunch of weirdos off the internet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭KevH1984

Yes I thought I did on a couple of occasions. I'll resend them again. What details do I need again just to make sure. Many thanks for your help.

KevH1984 wrote: »
    Yes I thought I did on a couple of occasions. I'll resend them again. What details do I need again just to make sure. Many thanks for your help.

No problem KevH, original post from Seve below
    Seve OB wrote:

Anyway, lads and lassies, I manage Teamer which we use to organise the outings.

If you are new here, interested in joining up, drop me a PM with your name, email, phone number, handicap and club. No biggie if you don't have a club or handicap, we will sort you out. Beginners, improvers, pros...... All welcome.

Ladies & Gents, as of now we have 36 accepted on Teamer which is the max that we have slots for at this event.

I've noted these 36 users. If you have not already been on Teamer, and are interested in attending, can you please continue to accept, and I'll keep note of the order with which names are added as a standby list.

Further to that, if you have accepted & change in circumstances & cannot attend, can you please provide an update as soon as possible to allow for timesheet updates to be made.

Lastly...for now, I've noted DaveGilly's tee time request. If anyone has a preference for a tee time, can they post it up here. Where possible we'll try to accommodate, but can't guarantee that we can meet everyones demands. The timesheet likely won't be posted until the week of the event

Really great to see such quick uptake, I hope its a good sign for the year to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

Accepted and looking forward to 1st outing after few years of almost joining.

Could I request tee time closer to the last few groups if possible as have spin to get there. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 timgolfer

Seve OB wrote: »
    Finally, seems like forever since I’ve seen a golf course.
    As ever looking forward to the links and the society banter.

Teamer invites just sent out there, see ya all in a few weeks.

Hi Seve, don’t think you’ve added me back on Teamer ? Thanks Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm not involved in organising so can probably post with a bit more freedom. Just my own experience from going to outings.

Considering the interest, the level of the course and the size of standby. Last minute drop outs are not great.

These on the day , bad weather , dog ate the homework last minute excuses are a pain.

I've noticed late appearances are another problem for organisation and people collecting money and first day sign up. (I'm no angel)

Facilities are amazing, so worth seeing championship level short game area.

So unless very serious, please dont leave drop out till last minute as standby player will also miss out.

Maybe harsh , is a nice atmosphere in society. But it is for players who will play when they say they will.

Committee, give us a slap if out of order ?

• Advertisement

timgolfer wrote: »
    Hi Seve, don’t think you’ve added me back on Teamer ? Thanks Tim

sorry tim, done now

I'm not involved in organising so can probably post with a bit more freedom. Just my own experience from going to outings.

Considering the interest, the level of the course and the size of standby. Last minute drop outs are not great.

These on the day , bad weather , dog ate the homework last minute excuses are a pain.

I've noticed late appearances are another problem for organisation and people collecting money and first day sign up. (I'm no angel)

Facilities are amazing, so worth seeing championship level short game area.

So unless very serious, please dont leave drop out till last minute as standby player will also miss out.

Maybe harsh , is a nice atmosphere in society. But it is for players who will play when they say they will.

Committee, give us a slap if out of order ?
    I think the sentiment is fair Fix. There is a lot of background work ongoing with the committee to get the best deal possible at each course & accommodate the max number of people.

We have to make a commitment on numbers to the Clubs, and if we end up reneging on those commitments, then the society ends up out of pocket as we have to cover the green fees for no-shows.

The society is not a business, nor does it have any sponsorship, so we can't afford to be down cash & keep things running. Given that, we appreciate everyone keeping us up to date as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Looking forward to this. The golf course is great. The tee shot on the first hole is not the worst either. Handy long iron up the middle to get yourself going

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Really looking forward to this. Never played links golf so that will be interesting in itself, ideally I don't make a holy show of myself. If I do, sure so what.

"Facilities are amazing, so worth seeing championship level short game area."

Can we use these on the day??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Iang87 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this. Never played links golf so that will be interesting in itself, ideally I don't make a holy show of myself. If I do, sure so what.

"Facilities are amazing, so worth seeing championship level short game area."

Can we use these on the day??

yes ,

putting green alone, put the fear of Links Gods in you , never mind bunkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

yes ,

putting green alone, put the fear of Links Gods in you , never mind bunkers.

I can concur with this statement, The chipping areas are immaculate and many a golf club would be envious of having greens as good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Wow, looks like we will have a full turnout.

There is an open competition on the same day so the place will be full and we are last out. The car park is not huge so I advise you to get there as early as you can. When you arrive make sure to go in the second gate (as you drive in the direction of Malahide) the 1st gate is exit only. There is a ticketed barrier, the pro shop will validate for you before you leave.

We have space for 25 if you want to eat afterwards. Tea/Coffee burger and chips is €20, it’s not cheap but it is very good. We will be in the snug attached to the pro shop.

Practice areas are open and there will be a starter on the day (he will move to the next group if you’re not on the tee box)

Please make sure to take a bag of sand and we do not replace divots, only sand them.

Hope you all enjoy the day

J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Hi All,

The time has finally arrived to kick off the 2020 season, and the road to the Ryder Jug starts in style with a trip to Portmarnock Links.(https://www.portmarnock.com/golf.html)

golf002.jpg

Ah lads you're killing me. I can see the house 4 doors down from me in that picture! Sure you're not tempted to move it a week forward?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sure lets just play it this weekend as well. Really looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement

Wow, looks like we will have a full turnout.

There is an open competition on the same day so the place will be full and we are last out. The car park is not huge so I advise you to get there as early as you can. When you arrive make sure to go in the second gate (as you drive in the direction of Malahide) the 1st gate is exit only. There is a ticketed barrier, the pro shop will validate for you before you leave.

We have space for 25 if you want to eat afterwards. Tea/Coffee burger and chips is €20, it’s not cheap but it is very good. We will be in the snug attached to the pro shop.

Practice areas are open and there will be a starter on the day (he will move to the next group if you’re not on the tee box)

Please make sure to take a bag of sand and we do not replace divots, only sand them.

Hope you all enjoy the day

J

Thanks GolfGraffix, you can put me down as a "Yes" for grub afterwards!

Advertisement