Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Donald Trump - Formal Impeachment Inquiry Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I was just about to ask the question, how do you put someone on ignore?

Anyway, I wonder how long it will be till the next Trump scandal?

I wouldn't say its too long until the next impeachment actually, now that parnas and Bolton are willing to provide testimony and Trump's defence team said they needed to hear from them during the house stages but for 'the Dems making a pigs ear of things' (ok I'm paraphrasing them)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

duploelabs wrote: »
    I do love having the ignore function on posts
    Thank you for illustrating my point beautifully. Leftists cultivate echo chambers by insisting that they are right and ignoring all views to the contrary and this results in the faceplants which I refer to like the Trump-Muller collusion nonsense and now the Trump "solicited the interference of a foreign government in the 2020 United States Presidential election" palava which was equally as absurd and had about as much evidence to support it, ie: none.
    Boggles wrote: »
    You mean call witnesses?

Mental concept all right. :rolleyes:

Find this rather laughable, all this whining about not having witnesses when the democrats refused to allow republicans to call any during the congressional hearings. They walked on their political opposition every chance they could, making the process as difficult as they could for them, and then are shocked when they are not accommodated to all they wants and desires. Zero self awareness.

Had they remotely made the case that witnesses were warranted, they'd have got them, but they didn't.

https://twitter.com/RepAndyBiggsAZ/status/1223333796432445440

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Thank you for illustrating my point beautifully. Leftists cultivate echo chambers by insisting that they are right and ignoring all views to the contrary and this results in the faceplants which I refer to like the Trump-Muller collusion nonsense and now the Trump "solicited the interference of a foreign government in the 2020 United States Presidential election" palava which was equally as absurd and had about as much evidence to support it, ie: none.

Find this rather laughable, all this whining about not having witnesses when the democrats refused to allow republicans to call any during the congressional hearings. They walked on their political opposition every chance they could, making the process as difficult as they could for them, and then are shocked when they are not accommodated to all they wants and desires. Zero self awareness.

Had they remotely made the case that witnesses were warranted, they'd have got them, but they didn't.

And the arrogance to think I was talking about you, bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,744 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Two things I think can be drawn from it. You have got to litigate in court for witnesses and documents.

Well. No you don't, at least not according to Trumps DOJ.

Senators break into laughter as Schiff points out ironic difference between Trump's legal defense and DOJ arguments
    President Trump's impeachment defense team seems to be on a different page than lawyers in the Department of Justice.

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) noted this disparity while answering questions from senators in Trump's Senate impeachment trial on Thursday. Schiff said that while Trump's legal team argued the House should have gone to court to force witnesses like former National Security Adviser John Bolton to testify via subpoena, Justice Department lawyers were — nearly simultaneously — arguing in a separate case that it's up to Congress to enforce subpoenas through measures like... impeachment.
    woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Trump has set the precedent for not co-operating, so in future and regardless of length of time, this has to be done. Second thing, unless there is bi-partisan support, impeachment isn't the way to go.

There never will be. Impeachment is no longer a relevant tool to prevent a King.

The framers never envisaged the likes of this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Just on the comments by Schiff, wasn't there a recent ruling by SCOTUS in the Nixon case just on this very matter. An overall majority rules that the Senate has the sole power to deal with an impeachment as they see fit. If I remember correctly, Nixon argued he deserved a hearing in the Senate after being removed from the bench but the Court ruled otherwise.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Bottom line is that Trump is an absolute disgrace and the Republican Party has become a disgrace by closing ranks to protect him.

JRant wrote: »
    Just on the comments by Schiff, wasn't there a recent ruling by SCOTUS in the Nixon case just on this very matter. An overall majority rules that the Senate has the sole power to deal with an impeachment as they see fit. If I remember correctly, Nixon argued he deserved a hearing in the Senate after being removed from the bench but the Court ruled otherwise.

Schiff was incorrectly parsing Dershowitz there but with regards to the SCOTUS and impeachment trials, there was a lot of citing recently of a 'Walter Nixon vs the United States', you could be thinking of that. He was a judge who was impeached in the late 80's and then sued saying he did not get a fair trial. The Chief Justice at the time determined that it essentially wasn't the business of the SCOTUS and dismissed the case.

There was a lot of discussion about it at the time apparently, with some members of the SCOTUS saying that despite the ruling, they still how and ever could foresee a situation where their interference would be appropriate and I have to agree with them, as what if the democrats held the Senate majority right now? They would surely remove Trump even though there is little or no evidence of what they allege and so while I do think the Senate should determine the rules of impeachments, there has to be some kind of layer of protection from a corrupt Senate majority, should that ever come to pass and I think right now, given the actions of democrats, that's more plausible today than ever before.

Just because actions meet a standard of impeachment does not mean it is in the best interest of the country to remove a President from office.

I will not vote to remove the President because doing so would inflict extraordinary and potentially irreparable damage to our already divided nation

- Marco Rubio

Absolutely extraordinary horséshít.

Really, so you think Bill Clinton should have been removed from office?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I think that both have similarities and that a censure is warranted. I don't think the GOP are in the mood to do anything but acquit fully and yesterday's vote tells the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Clinton apologized after the impeachment verdict.

Hmm... what will Trump do....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

He should have been removed from Monica's mouth

Boggles wrote: »
    - Marco Rubio

Absolutely extraordinary horséshít.
    4 more years. 4 more years!

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Igotadose wrote: »

Whine even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Have Kool And The Gang piped over the White House intercom system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Trump more of a Fortunate Son man if you ask me

4 more years 4 more years.
    F the begrudgers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

2/3 both houses and Constitutional amendments are in play. Now isn't that an exciting thought? Repeal the 2d? Health care in the Constitution? All forms of medical care as basic human right? Things like that.

Several issues here.

Firstly, you are assuming that a vote for a Democrat automatically will presume a vote in favour of repealing the 2nd, or an affirmative right to healthcare. This is assuredly not true: Many of the Democrats who are winning the swing districts are gun-toting blue dogs who have more moderate views on things. Compare the map of Virginia's State House elections by district and see how many voted 'blue' a couple of months ago and how many also voted 'we will not comply with gun control' within a few months of each other.

Secondly, the chances of an affirmative right such as the right to healthcare being in the Constitution is pretty slim. I believe it would be the only such right, it's not the way the US does things. The US Constitution gives negative rights: It says what the Federal Government cannot do with respect to private citizens, not what it must do. It may not pass laws to restrict speech (1st Amendment), it may not infringe the right to bear arms (2nd Amendment). It may not deny the right to vote to people over 18 due to age (26th A), Gender (19th) or color (15th) . It may not quarter soldiers in private houses (3rd A), it may not set excessive bail or unusual punishments (8th A), and so on. That's right, the Constitution does not even give Americans the right to vote. If you want to make an amendment saying "The care of a healthy population being vital to a successful state, the right of the People to avail of healthcare shall not be infringed", that's fine... but it also means that the Federal Government need not provide it.

Should sufficient votes be found in Congress, a Constitutional amendment will not be necessary to provide universal healthcare anyway. But of course, it could be undone by a future Congress. Such is life.

Finally, how on Earth do you see 66 Senators voting to approve of such things? What solid Red states are likely to flip? That's 33 of 50 States. 44 of whom, for example, have a Right to Arms in their Constitutions. Of the 8 Republican senators considered "unsafe", most of them are in Red-leaning areas anyway. Even if every single one of them flipped, which is highly unlikely (And there's at least one D in a red-leaning area right now too), that would not make 66.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,093 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Several issues here.

Firstly, you are assuming that a vote for a Democrat automatically will presume a vote in favour of repealing the 2nd, or an affirmative right to healthcare. This is assuredly not true: Many of the Democrats who are winning the swing districts are gun-toting blue dogs who have more moderate views on things. Compare the map of Virginia's State House elections by district and see how many voted 'blue' a couple of months ago and how many also voted 'we will not comply with gun control' within a few months of each other.

Nor has any party had the opportunity in recent memory. 2/3 majority, hyperpartisanship being the norm, playing to 'the base'... Sure, plenty of Democratic legislators and Republican legislators are on different sides of the fences you mention, but in the case I hypothesize about, they'd have an opportunity. Scary, isn't it?

Turn it around - imagine one-party majorities in each state big enough to amend the Constitution. Same could happen.
    Secondly, the chances of an affirmative right such as the right to healthcare being in the Constitution is pretty slim. I believe it would be the only such right, it's not the way the US does things. The US Constitution gives negative rights: It says what the Federal Government cannot do with respect to private citizens, not what it must do. It may not pass laws to restrict speech (1st Amendment), it may not infringe the right to bear arms (2nd Amendment). It may not deny the right to vote to people over 18 due to age (26th A), Gender (19th) or color (15th) . It may not quarter soldiers in private houses (3rd A), it may not set excessive bail or unusual punishments (8th A), and so on. That's right, the Constitution does not even give Americans the right to vote. If you want to make an amendment saying "The care of a healthy population being vital to a successful state, the right of the People to avail of healthcare shall not be infringed", that's fine... but it also means that the Federal Government need not provide it.
    Let's be clear - those are *amendments* you're talking about, and certainly the Bill of Rights, the 1st ten amendments, restricts what the federal government can do. Things like the 19th amendment (women's vote) say "The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
    Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]"

showing that the Constitution can be modified to grant *additional* powers to the Federal Government.

Likewise, the 16th amendment allows the Federal government to collect taxes.

So, your argument is true for most of the amendments, especially the first 10, but amendments can do anything, like enshrine health care.
    Should sufficient votes be found in Congress, a Constitutional amendment will not be necessary to provide universal healthcare anyway. But of course, it could be undone by a future Congress. Such is life.
    Au contraire, an amendment like "Congress shall ensure health care for all Americans at no financial cost to them" can be written. Admittedly, that's dreadful wording.
    Finally, how on Earth do you see 66 Senators voting to approve of such things?
    That's why I started with, imagine 2/3 majority in both houses. The opportunity would then be there. Senators routinely ignore their constituents - cf. the recent 'no witness' vote.
    What solid Red states are likely to flip? That's 33 of 50 States. 44 of whom, for example, have a Right to Arms in their Constitutions. Of the 8 Republican senators considered "unsafe", most of them are in Red-leaning areas anyway. Even if every single one of them flipped, which is highly unlikely (And there's at least one D in a red-leaning area right now too), that would not make 66.
    Once the 2d amendment is repealed, the litigation begins at the state level.

As for how many Senators end up GOP after the 2020 election, in a normal functioning US government, I'd say the number might be fewer than the Democrats. The US hasn't had a normal government or predictable politics in a great while, and there's no discourse anymore just feints, lies and fighting. US politics and the US body politic are broken, irreparably in my view, one of many reasons we moved to Ireland permanently.

• Advertisement

Ah here, Schiff's lost it. In a hail mary attempt at convincing the Senate to convict he suggests if they don't Trump could give Alaska to the Russians!

https://twitter.com/PetiteNicoco/status/1224434320103759873

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Ah here, Schiff's lost it. In a hail mary attempt at convincing the Senate to convict he suggests if they don't Trump could give Alaska to the Russians!

Could you imagine having a president cancelling an official state visit because Denmark wouldn't sell Greenland to the US ....

Pathetic attempt at deflection :P

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭FreeThePants

That's all that most of your posts in this thread appear to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But true!

You might want to listen to that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Schiff is just pointing out the absurdity of Dershowitz’s argument that the president is to all intents and purposes above the law apart from very specific exceptions.

However, that doesn’t prevent Trump’s supporters from quoting part of his statement out of context and deliberately misrepresenting it as a serious suggestion.

Unfortunately that’s what we’ve been dealing with for the last few years and it’s only going to get worse until that miserable excuse for a human being is no longer in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Democrats in total chaos with the Iowa vote - full steam ahead for the #Trumptrain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Between the Iowa debacle and the state of the Union address, the acquittal vote will be just one of the week's noted events.
    Strange turn of events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Between the Iowa debacle and the state of the Union address, the acquittal vote will be just one of the week's noted events.
    Strange turn of events.

True bud

Advertisement