Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How about get a degree where there are jobs instead of crying about it.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Because not everyone has an interest/ability to do well in the business/IT/engineering courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Emigrating in search of work is 'entitlement culture' now, is it?

Fucking hell, I've seen some stupid threads on here...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Because the world doesn't work like they way it does in your head - people usually learn this as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭banie01

An arts degree and a master's in Literature!
    Well done...

The foresight to realise that such esoteric qualifications are of fúck all use in gaining somewhat local employment in a rural part of Co Clare...

Well that doesn't say much for an arts degree is shaping one for actual adulthood!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Why get a degree dictated by the market that the market could decide is worthless whenever it suits them. This lad sounds happy enough to have followed his passion and seems to have made the right decision for himself.

Why are you so angry? touched a nerve?

• Advertisement

Arts degree and masters in literature. There’s his mistake right there, it’s nobody else’s fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

The arts degree: Hated by idiots who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

A friend of mine has a cleaner who does 3 hours a week for her. She’s in her 60s, is from Lithuania and has little spoken English. She works hard to make a living. She doesn’t complain if the conditions are hard or very casual. She makes enough money to get by. She doesn’t ask for money & stuff from the government like a lot of Irish do. If she gets paid cash in hand - good luck to her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Fccwontletmebe

All you should be taught in an Arts degree is the below in multiple languages without Maths/Science/ IT/teaching modules is.

"Would you like fries with that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Can see both arguments. If you love literature and really want to study it, go for it. But if it's also to get a job out of it, this may not happen. It's a practical course and work experience that will get you the job.

Imo, the safest strategy if you want to both study what you love and get a job after college is to do your undergraduate in what you love, and postgrad in something more practical.

• Advertisement

each and every IT article about the problems of generation emigration has a bang of whiney entitlement tbh

who cares, lads. who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

An Arts Degree is still a degree. Regardless of ones opinions on the subjects - a degree qualified applicant is always welcome.
    Also, plenty of steady state jobs were attained by those with Arts degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I see the guy added in mental health, depression and homelessness, it seems like everyone in Ireland now suffers with at least one of these things. I'm surprised he didn't throw in allergic to gluten.

Ps. I know mental health, depression and homelessness are real and they're serious problems but it seems like everyone now has self diagnosed depression or homeless because they live at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

banie01 wrote: »
    An arts degree and a master's in Literature!
    Well done...

The foresight to realise that such esoteric qualifications are of fúck all use in gaining somewhat local employment in a rural part of Co Clare...

Well that doesn't say much for an arts degree is shaping one for actual adulthood!

Careful now, there’s a few on here who think the “Arts” degree is the height of enlightenment and not the, giant, waste of time it actually is.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Emigrating in search of work is 'entitlement culture' now, is it?

Fucking hell, I've seen some stupid threads on here...

He apparently felt “entitled” to a job that makes use of his masters in literature. As if there’s much use for that in a small town in rural Ireland.

Jesus wept! Did he never think of investigating potential job prospects during the 5-6 years completing his masters?

By his own admission, he went to London & worked in a shop & lived in a ****ty flat so he could save enough to take up an unpaid internship. I applaud his attitude & graft. But London was no picnic for him either, so he needs to lose the rose tinted glasses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Astonishes me that it needs saying that "not everyone is the same", and ""not everyone is equipped to learn, excel, or even enjoy subjects that are ostensibly good for the market". In fact flooding the market with substandard ladder chasers achieves nothing, and only adds to the frustration and struggle to those not good or interested enough to attain a high-level. So you just end up with just as many unemployed, with an industry flooded with too many graduates.

When I entered IT in college, the admin extended capacity to 300, to account for the "learn computers and earn millions!" nonsense floating around in the early 2000s. By year 4 there were approx 125 left. Many who did, did so because jumping into a subject over mercenary motives doesn't work out too well when you don't have the head for it. I hope those who left found their niche. Nothing wrong with an arts degree if the right avenues are pursued. Some industries are narrower than others and just require more teasing out. Belligerent hostility gives nothing. I know plenty of arts degree grads who found all sorts of varying career paths

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In Clare he couldn't get a job in a shop.
    In London he got a job in a shop.
    All is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

Take a chill pill, buddy. Nobody's claiming they're entitled to anything here.

On the topic of degrees - it would be a sad world if it was full only of software engineers and accountants.

Culture has an important place in society. Indulge in a little bit, maybe you wouldn't be so angry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It was 2009.
    Nobody could get a job anywhere.
    Including engineers.
    I see he is a playwright now, and that is not exactly the easiest of paths regardless of the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

each and every IT article about the problems of generation emigration has a bang of whiney entitlement tbh

who cares, lads. who cares.

Its not much different to the auld grumps making threads crying about every IT article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Careful now, there’s a few on here who think the “Arts” degree is the height of enlightenment and not the, giant, waste of time it actually is.

An arts degree does afford one a great foundation for further learning.
    It's a broad based melange that all too many seem to waste.

Some of the best colleagues I've worked with entered employment with Arts degrees.

Doing an arts degree and following it up with a master's in Literature and expecting your hobby to lead to gainful employment is a little bit optimistic.
    Particularly if that employment is expected to be local.

Plenty he could do via remote working, such as editing or proofing.
    Offering tutorials or study support are just a few that spring to mind.
    Moving to find work appropriate to ones qualifications is part and parcel of life.
    If staying local mattered, he should have planned his educational choices better.

Coincidentally, I am currently a 1st student back at Uni (Not doing Arts ;) ) I do however share a couple of modules with a large cohort of "Arts" students.

Kids who have no actual direction in life, who would be far better served by decent guidance prior to the CAO than by been thrown into a pick and mix world of modules that most seek easy A's or handiest post hangover tutorials.

Plenty of bright, smart and potentially brilliant kids being mediocre and homogeneous by choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

It's a pity Van Gogh didn't learn to code he'd have added so much more to the world than he did.

And all those films and TV shows you watch, the people who wrote them, directed them, acted in them, designed the sets and costumes, really why did they waste their time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

All you should be taught in an Arts degree is the below in multiple languages without Maths/Science/ IT/teaching modules is.

"Would you like fries with that"

I think you might benefit from a few days' free education by sitting in on Arts lectures. It might give you an inkling of what syntax means with regards to sentence structure. God only knows what you're actually trying to express....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Nothing finer than an education in liberal arts Emmet. Dare I say it's rare for a man with a mind as bright as yours to have graduated more or less unscathed from that realm of dullards and phillistines, I speak of course of the business/IT degree. Count yourself lucky that your mind has not calcified and your range of interests and curiosities not narrowed to a tiny point on the cusp of oblivion. No doubt you supplemented your 'education' with a good dose of Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche and Adorno on the side, with a keen interest in literary journals and art criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭glen123

A friend of mine has a cleaner who does 3 hours a week for her. She’s in her 60s, is from Lithuania and has little spoken English. She works hard to make a living. She doesn’t complain if the conditions are hard or very casual. She makes enough money to get by. She doesn’t ask for money & stuff from the government like a lot of Irish do. If she gets paid cash in hand - good luck to her.

I am not sure how your friend knows exactly what her cleaner claims in benefits or doesn't. People who work for cash and are on benefits usually don't go around avertising the same for many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Anyone going to see his play? Let us know if it's any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The arts degree: Hated by idiots who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Quite. An arts degree was never intended to be monetised. It is study for study's sake. And all the better for it. But really only for gentlemen of independent means, or for a few who are needed to become the tutors, or the masters in a public school, to boys of that class. The problem arises when people enrole in them who will later have to find gainful employ, rather than taking a grand tour to enhance their learning and then taking up their position in society. The former are really more suited to the manual trades, which provide ample work opportunity to that class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

What a braindead article, reminds me of that tosspot fool whinging about how Belfast wasn't the same as New York and blaming everyone but herself for finding herself back there.

Wow, rural Co. Clare doesn't offer people with degrees in Literature the same opportunities as one of the biggest metropolises in the world, mind-blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I sensed attention seeking or someone trying to get a regular column in the Irish Times.

This man every kind of opportunity, every kind of service and every form of education in rural counties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

imme wrote: »
    I sensed attention seeking or someone trying to get a regular column in the Irish Times.

This man every kind of opportunity, every kind of service and every form of education in rural counties.

Or at least has a buddy that allowed helium to promote his play.

Advertisement