Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG Midget or MGB

Options
  • 10-07-2019 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm hoping to get my first classic this year and have my heart set on an MG, moreso after ogling all the little beauts at the show in Terenure last weekend. From what reading I've done so far, it seems to be a simple classic and cheap enough, with good access to parts and good for someone like me, who appreciates classics but knows nothing about maintaining them and wants to learn. I'm hoping to buy in September or so. Any MG midget or MGB owners out there who want to share their advice or pros and cons of MG ownership? Are they a good intro to the world of classics for someone like me? Can they handle regular outings? I'd hope to use it most weekends and will keep it in a garage over the more miserable months...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

raehogan wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get my first classic this year and have my heart set on an MG, moreso after ogling all the little beauts at the show in Terenure last weekend. From what reading I've done so far, it seems to be a simple classic and cheap enough, with good access to parts and good for someone like me, who appreciates classics but knows nothing about maintaining them and wants to learn. I'm hoping to buy in September or so. Any MG midget or MGB owners out there who want to share their advice or pros and cons of MG ownership? Are they a good intro to the world of classics for someone like me? Can they handle regular outings? I'd hope to use it most weekends and will keep it in a garage over the more miserable months...

I'm a new MGB owner (3 months). Like yourself I'd be no expert, new to classics and looking for a weekend spin with the odd extra trip if weather allows. I'd recommend it 100%. I'm too early into it to say that maintenance is ok or costs are reasonable. So far so good though and it's absolutely brilliant getting out on the back roads on a sunny day. I've invested in lots of cleaning stuff and damp absorbers. That's it so far. Will have my mechanic give it a good look after summer and it'll needs something or squeeky suspension on driver's front side and I want to replace the overriders on the bumper but hoping for no surprises after those. Very easy to learn to drive, make sure to listen carefully to previous owner and take notes. MGB is very spacious despite looking small outside, don't know about midget. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 raehogan

Hey there, how are you getting on with your mg? I finally found my beauty before Christmas. Absolutely besotted doesn't cover it. She was pretty much parked up in a garage for most of the last decade but starts beautifully. Straight off, I had to replace the 20 year old tyres (the spare was older) and will replace the soft top before the weather turns. The electrics are on the wobble so need to sort that soon. The fuel gauge goes full to empty to half full depending on I'm not sure what so I never really know how much fuel she's carrying. Looking forward to (trying) fixing this and more, and to taking her out in the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

One piece of advice.
    Try them both for size.
    The Midget lives up to it's name. To say the least it's cozy.
    If you are tall you will find that the B will be more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

All good with mine. Get out one every two weeks in winter and have never had any hassle getting her started. Have it booked in for a service and look ever at end Feb/early March to make sure it's fine before summer kicks in and weekly spins start. Some squeaking from brakes and a bit of an oil leak but hoping I get the all clear. Still loving the times I get out. Getting more used to a few things with the drive but there's not much to it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

elperello wrote: »
    One piece of advice.
    Try them both for size.
    The Midget lives up to it's name. To say the least it's cozy.
    If you are tall you will find that the B will be more comfortable.

This ^^^^

A friend of mine has just bought a B after years of not fitting into the Midget.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement