Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice best saving/investment

• 24-01-2020 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I have small sum (20,000) saved for a mortgage deposit.

I wont be in a position to apply for the mortgage until early 2021 because of work contracts.

I want to find the best place to store my deposit until then that will give me the best return while remaining relatively easy to access without loosing too much benefit.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Credit Union or Bank - Probably in your current bank if they have competitive mortgage rates.

If you were to invest it, then you risk losing a portion of it. I would not invest my mortgage deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Hi OP,

To reiterate, as it is your mortgage deposit stay in cash. As stated above, Bank (KBC do 1.35% I think with up to 10,000 deposit then allowed to deposit 1000 each month thereafter) if you hold an Extra Saver Account or nothing in the Credit Union or if you want to feel like you're gambling then Prize Bonds :D. i am not sure if there is a notice period to release the cash for this e.g 30 days.

The return is pure sh*te in Irish banks but as you cannot afford to lose this cash (I am assuming it from your post) best to keep it in nothing risky and not lose anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 regularjoe_12

Thanks for the advice!

I already have the KBC extra regular save and saving the max each month as is but will definitely drop 10k here.

It leaves me another 10k that i just dont want hanging around my current account but i suppose maybe a fixed rate deposit is only secure option. Ill look into a credit union to as i dont currently have one :)

Advertisement