Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Park and Cycle Galway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Great ideas (I haven't read all the posts yet).
    I used to cycle from Castlegar Sports Ground (bottom of Doughiska) to Eyre Sq. Also did car park opp Merlin Park gate to Eyre Sq. And very occsiaionally used O'more (GAA pitch) and car park in woods in Roscam/Coast road.
    I would like to get back in gear again. I'm now based in Mervue so O'more would be no problem.
    Maybe even invest in an ebike and come all the way in from Craughwell!

Hi boardsnashea , ebike I'm with you but the spin from Kinvara may still take too long for me and is dangerous. The park and Cycle would help me and others in the same boat. We could get additional equipment like Bike storage at a later date.

Don't forget to vote and share https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/park-and-cycle-galway 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

ratracer wrote: »
    I’d go with #1 above as well, though that will be a city council, not county council issue.
    The county council should be pushed to provide separated cycle infrastructure on the main routes into the city boundary, which would also include Parkmore Ind Est.

The current state of the cycle paths around the city is very poor so if they can't maintain and keep them in good condition then I see no point adding more. They are rarely cleaned and have deteriorated over the years (anyone cycle west on Bother Na Dreabh recently, shocking how dangerous it is).

A cycle lane though is badly needed as far as Parkmore and then improve the network around the city and suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They are rarely cleaned and have deteriorated over the years (anyone cycle west on Bother Na Dreabh recently, shocking how dangerous it is).

A cycle lane though is badly needed as far as Parkmore and then improve the network around the city and suburbs.

Know exactly where you are talking about, significant hazard at bottom of the incline between N83 and N84 stretch. Avoid cycling most of those types of facilities as a result. Important to note that they were never built as "cycle paths" in the first place (along the N6 from N59 to the Ballybane junction), its a service duct area. Council only marked them a cycle paths in the last decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

n1st wrote: »
    Hi boardsnashea , ebike I'm with you but the spin from Kinvara may still take too long for me and is dangerous. The park and Cycle would help me and others in the same boat. We could get additional equipment like Bike storage at a later date.

Don't forget to vote and share https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/park-and-cycle-galway ��

Voted and shared.
    The Kinvara side is a tight road. I have more space on the Craughwell road now that the motorway has taken some of the load.

• Advertisement

Friday 17th https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/proper-cycling-infrastructure-easiest-way-to-reduce-public-transport-overcrowding-1.4142842

Mentions pedestrians and cyclists can use their phones to report issues to the council.

Cycling is a feasible solution to congestion

Hi,

97 signatures so far, thanks for the help, keep sharing.

https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/park-and-cycle-galway

I'll follow up in the coming weeks with the next step.

Thanks,
    Niall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I drive in from Athenry with the bike on the rack. I park in Roscam and cycle from there to Eyre Square. Been doing it for about three years. No bother. Wrap up well. Don't sweat much. Baby wipe and a squirt of spray if necessary. No need for shower.

Crawling tailbacks from Galway Clinic to town most mornings. Must be taking people 45 min to get in as opposed to 20min on the bike. Same on the way out. Can’t understand it. Free excercise, reduced fule and no parking charges with the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Petition signed and shared on Facebook. Fair play to you Niall.

160 signatures today.
    https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/park-and-cycle-galway

We'll get to 200 with your help.
    There is talk of using Galway airport as a park n ride too

n1st wrote: »
    There is talk of using Galway airport as a park n ride too

They did a trial on this and it performed so poorly that they cut the trial short. If you have come as far as the airport, there is no benefit in spending time to park there only to get stuck in the same traffic when using the shuttle bus. Users actually lost time by using the service

It's a great idea, but is doomed to fail without bus lanes and other bus priority measures

DaCor wrote: »
    They did a trial on this and it performed so poorly that they cut the trial short. If you have come as far as the airport, there is no benefit in spending time to park there only to get stuck in the same traffic when using the shuttle bus. Users actually lost time by using the service

It's a great idea, but is doomed to fail without bus lanes and other bus priority measures

Ah that's a pity. Setup to fail.

What we want should be agreed and written and managed.

A contract is required between users and council, guarantee of quality of service e.g. no queue into carpark, parked in 2 mins, at NUIG in 20mins.

How they do it should not be our business

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

xckjoo wrote: »
    Gets my vote. Preferably fully segregated but even shared with buses would be a good start. Would probably be an easier sell too as public transport is at least as important to help traffic IMO

what's the point of cyclists trying to do their bit to reduce traffic on the roads when they're just going to slow the buses down on the limited bus lanes we have, I'm a fulltime cyclist hail rain or snow but when I do need to take the bus I find it crazy that the bus has to crawl along the bus lane behind a cyclist (or 2/3) when there's not one single pedestrian on the footpath they're cycling beside, it's not illegal to cycle in the path btw

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pure.conya wrote: »
    .... it's not illegal to cycle in the path btw

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

, it's not illegal to cycle in the path btw

Check Article 13 of the 1997 RT regulations.
    It's not a fixed charge offence, but it is illegal unless entering/exiting a property, or unless signed for bicycle use.

Article 11 of the 2012 Regulations, and Article 45 of the 1998 regulations also cover it.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print#article13
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print#article13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Grassey wrote: »
    Check Article 13 of the 1997 RT regulations.
    It's not a fixed charge offence, but it is illegal unless entering/exiting a property, or unless signed for bicycle use.

Also ... "Although it is not a fixed charge offence to cycle on a footpath a cyclist could be fined for doing so if a Garda deemed their cycling to be without ’reasonable consideration‘." URL="https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/cycling/cycling_offences.html"]Citizens Information[/URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

what's the point of cyclists trying to do their bit to reduce traffic on the roads when they're just going to slow the buses down on the limited bus lanes we have, I'm a fulltime cyclist hail rain or snow but when I do need to take the bus I find it crazy that the bus has to crawl along the bus lane behind a cyclist (or 2/3) when there's not one single pedestrian on the footpath they're cycling beside, it's not illegal to cycle in the path btw

Our crazy infrastructure says that a bike and bus should share the same lane. It is definitely anti social type behavior to cycle on a foot path being used by pedestrians (fine if its empty), simply because most footpaths are not near wide enough to accommodate both. The legal side of cycling on the footpath has been covered by other posts.

There's other issues too, like losing right of way when crossing roads (another example of our poor infrastructure, this type legislative) that join on the the road you're travelling on.

• Advertisement

Link?

don't have one, but I was involved in a road traffic court case recently that had involved me cycling off a foot path and i got knocked down when i got on the road, my solicitor challenged the fixed penalty charge i received for cycling on the path, he simply asked the superintendent taking the case for the state where in the law it says its illegal to cycle on the foot path, after a bit of flustering he had to admit in open court that when they ammended the laws last they couldn't actually make it illegal to cycle on the footpath or every child cycling to and from school would be breaking the law, the charge was cancelled by the judge immediately because the garda tried to do me for something that was never illegal

jjpep wrote: »
    Our crazy infrastructure says that a bike and bus should share the same lane. It is definitely anti social type behavior to cycle on a foot path being used by pedestrians (fine if its empty), simply because most footpaths are not near wide enough to accommodate both. The legal side of cycling on the footpath has been covered by other posts.

There's other issues too, like losing right of way when crossing roads (another example of our poor infrastructure, this type legislative) that join on the the road you're travelling on.

if there's no cycle lane i will most likely be cycling on the path then, even if there's a bus lane, crazy stuff i know right, imagine having more regard for my own personal safety over crazy traffic systems, also there are very few paths in this whole city not big enough for pedestrians and a cyclist to pass each other, the roads are simply too dangerous in this city to not avail of the paths when no cycle lane is in place and as i stated earlier people insisting on cycling on the bus lanes means you're holding up a single (or double decker) bus full of kids and adults trying to get to school/work

if there's no cycle lane i will most likely be cycling on the path then, even if there's a bus lane, crazy stuff i know right, imagine having more regard for my own personal safety over crazy traffic systems, also there are very few paths in this whole city not big enough for pedestrians and a cyclist to pass each other, the roads are simply too dangerous in this city to not avail of the paths when no cycle lane is in place and as i stated earlier people insisting on cycling on the bus lanes means you're holding up a single (or double decker) bus full of kids and adults trying to get to school/work

Ultimately, do what you gotta do to be safe (without being dangerous to others obliviously) should always be the guiding light. The only thing I take any real issue with what your saying is about someone on a bike holding up buses etc. I always found it to be a case of leapfrog - me overtake bus, bus overtake me etc According to my bikes computer (e-bike), my average speed was around 24kmph which i imagine is not much different to a buses - probably even better given the extra stops a bus has to make.

don't have one, but I was involved in a road traffic court case recently that had involved me cycling off a foot path and i got knocked down when i got on the road, my solicitor challenged the fixed penalty charge i received for cycling on the path, he simply asked the superintendent taking the case for the state where in the law it says its illegal to cycle on the foot path, after a bit of flustering he had to admit in open court that when they ammended the laws last they couldn't actually make it illegal to cycle on the footpath or every child cycling to and from school would be breaking the law, the charge was cancelled by the judge immediately because the garda tried to do me for something that was never illegal

It sounds to me that what got thrown out was the attempted fixed penalty charge for cycling on the footpath.

It's still illegal though. The garda just used the wrong approach to pull you up for it.

jjpep wrote: »
    Ultimately, do what you gotta do to be safe (without being dangerous to others obliviously) should always be the guiding light. The only thing I take any real issue with what your saying is about someone on a bike holding up buses etc. I always found it to be a case of leapfrog - me overtake bus, bus overtake me etc According to my bikes computer (e-bike), my average speed was around 24kmph which i imagine is not much different to a buses - probably even better given the extra stops a bus has to make.

from my experience there's very few bus drivers that will leapfrog a cyclist on the bus lane, they're actually better off to stay behind ye than to risk a road traffic accident, I'm glad you brought up your speed because standing passenger buses are limited to 80kmph by law on all roads including motorway, which means they're ok to travel up to 80kmph from roscam to galway crystal and 50kmph all the way into town after that, trust me when I tell ya its real annoying getting stuck behind a cyclist doing 15/16kmph - 22/24kmph

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    It sounds to me that what got thrown out was the attempted fixed penalty charge for cycling on the footpath.

It's still illegal though. The garda just used the wrong approach to pull you up for it.

please explain how a fixed penalty charge can be thrown out of a court if what i done was illegal? it was not or is not illegal to cycle on the footpath in Ireland, the garda had to admit in the court that if it was "every school kid cycling to and from school everyday would be heading the law", his exact words and not mine, my solicitor had to really push him to admit it too

so argue all you like but it's still not illegal to cycle on the path here in Ireland, it is possible for pedestrian and cyclist to coexist on almost all paths in this city, use them when a dedicated cycle lane isnt provided and like me will ye stop holding up buses full of people trying to get to and from work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ratracer

from my experience there's very few bus drivers that will leapfrog a cyclist on the bus lane, they're actually better off to stay behind ye than to risk a road traffic accident, I'm glad you brought up your speed because standing passenger buses are limited to 80kmph by law on all roads including motorway, which means they're ok to travel up to 80kmph from roscam to galway crystal and 50kmph all the way into town after that, trust me when I tell ya its real annoying getting stuck behind a cyclist doing 15/16kmph - 22/24kmph

All the more reason for all to look for separate cycle lanes..... everyone wins!!

ratracer wrote: »
    All the more reason for all to look for separate cycle lanes..... everyone wins!!

I'm all for extra cycle lanes, I'm a fulltime cyclist for years, but in the meantime it would be great to not be holding up over 100 people on a double decker trying to get to and from work/school

please explain how a fixed penalty charge can be thrown out of a court if what i done was illegal?

Because it's not a fixed charge offence...

• Advertisement

My experience would be the opposite, on that road in particular which was my commute for about a year, they do overtake/leapfrog. Zero fun for anyone involved.

Advertisement