Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

T-Bird wrote: »
    That's some place now! The store was buzzing.

It has great model displays. Full of cameras, phones, tablets, smart watches and plenty of phone covers.

Harvey Norman have a big task I think.

Hope I'm wrong but I thought mobile phones weren't allowed to be sold in that Retail Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Hope I'm wrong but I thought mobile phones weren't allowed to be sold in that Retail Park?

true - i think it was in environs plan as one of the un-allowed items to be sold up there .

anyway I am not worried personally, I'm glad if they are moving away from that silly rule

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

What’s the reason for that?

job seeker wrote: »
    What’s the reason for that?

I think, but I am not too sure, that in the conditions it was only large items to be sold up there in the environ plan - ones you could just pull up to the car park of the retail park , open up your boot and shove the large Item in the back of the boot or trailer. Was one of the reasons years ago that Argos could not open up a store there and had to set up in Cleaveragh retail park instead even though they originally wanted to set up in the Carraroe retail park.

But we all know it was a silly un-workable plan because you could buy a box of nails or screws from homebase since they have opened - thats hardly 'bulky/warehouse goods' to shove in the back of your car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Advertisement

anyone got any more news as to when Harvey Norman opening up in the retail park? - cannot be long off now?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

anyone got any more news as to when Harvey Norman opening up in the retail park? - cannot be long off now?

Supposed to be April.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Great to see JYSK opening a branch in Sligo. An alternative to IKEA

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/danish-home-brand-store-is-coming-38445415.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45,760 ✭✭✭✭muffler

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Posts re stores opening are in a different thread. I'll move it there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

During the Summer, Galway store is opening first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Anyone know when the new restaurant is opening in draft house strandhill? Can't wait for somewhere decent to eat out there

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone know when the new restaurant is opening in draft house strandhill? Can't wait for somewhere decent to eat out there
    Easter apparently..

IMG-20200202-093513.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Colking

Looks very interesting

Can't wait for decent food in strandhill, apart from stoked and a pizza at the strand, there is nowhere to eat there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,120 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Can't wait for decent food in strandhill, apart from stoked and a pizza at the strand, there is nowhere to eat there
    the venue

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

shanec1928 wrote: »
    the venue

And Shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭johnire

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    And Shells.

And The Dunes who do absolutely delicious burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Jade Garden, The Runway Cafe at Strandhill Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

and the golf club

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Take away from the deli counter at Gala and hot water is free when you buy a Pot Noodle.

• Advertisement

Alright,apart from The Venue,Shells,The Dunes,Jade Garden, The Runway Cafe, The Golf club and Gala, what has Strandhill ever done for us? :D

Take away from the deli counter at Gala and hot water is free when you buy a Pot Noodle.

where is Gala , a bit further up from the beach up where the pedestrian crossing is?

shanec1928 wrote: »
    the venue
    had a lovely couple of bites to eat in the Venue before. - Lovely steak sandwiches.
    Mint Sauce wrote: »
    And Shells.
    Lovely fish and chips there ..
    Basq wrote: »

IMG-20200202-093513.jpg

be expensive to eat there I hazard a guess when it does open? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

be expensive to eat there I hazard a guess when it does open? :)
    About the norm if probably a bit cheaper than Shells/Baker Boys by the looks of things..

Agree about venue and dunes. However at the seafront there isn't choice. The service is shells is awful, unless you are local it seems. I've had people walk in, clearly well known to staff, and been served before me, happened several times so I stopped going back.

Also dunes not open during the day, jade garden the same. Had never heard of runway cafe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Agree about venue and dunes. However at the seafront there isn't choice. The service is shells is awful, unless you are local it seems. I've had people walk in, clearly well known to staff, and been served before me, happened several times so I stopped going back.

Also dunes not open during the day, jade garden the same. Had never heard of runway cafe.

I wouldn't agree with that about Shell's at all. We are definitely not locals - from Dublin - but we go to Shell's whenever we are in Strandhill which could be once a month during summer and a lot less in winter but we always get seated and looked after. Granted sometimes it's mad busy and they have a little waiting list for tables that one of the waiting staff will look after but we've never had an issue getting a table.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Basq wrote: »

The menu looks great, will be looking forward to trying it out when it opens. I was in Strandhill about 2 weeks ago though and no work had started on this place, hopefully they do something with it soon. I'm assuming there will be a new fit-out for the new owners :)

Seems there is very mixed opinions on shells, I loved it when it opened first. I guess a lot depends on staff as well but I do know many people who don't go here any more for the reason I outlined. Seen similar reviews on their fb page too.

Also the fish they serve is farmed cobbler from Indonesia. A lot of people have allergy to this fish, yet no warning on their menu about what type of fish it is, or at least there wasn't. My mother's friend had severe allergic response to it about a year ago in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Shells doesn’t really do it for me either. It’s a bit grubby. And as for the fish (which i thought was Panga,no?), selling that should be a crime considering what’s available instead.

Advertisement