Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying a second house, mortgage advice

• 01-02-2020 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey there,
    I am looking for some advice on how to go about buying a second house in Ireland. I currently have a mortgage on a house with approx €145k to pay over 25 years.
    I am living and working abroad so the house is rented. I am fortunate enough to have a lump sum that I can put towards a second house in Ireland. I am wondering what my options are...
    I struggled to get the first mortgage as I had just moved back to Ireland at the time and I needed to be in a permanent job for at least a year. Since then I left that job and left Ireland again.
    I will return to Ireland next year and move back into the house we bought. I will be self employed running the family business. My wife will be working with a low base income but earning commission. I figure with the outstanding mortgage and our work situation it will be impossible to borrow for a second home....
    Currently the only option I see is to save until we can but the second house outright..
    Are there any other options that I am missing?
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Have you thought about just paying off a chunk of your current mortgage with the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

Have you thought about just paying off a chunk of your current mortgage with the money?

Yes, we are weighing up the pros and cons of that approach. We could clear our current mortgage with our savings. But it would leave us with money in the bank. And I think poor work circumstances will make it hard for us to get a mortgage in the next few years.

The alternative would be to keep saving...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Murray13 wrote: »
    Yes, we are weighing up the pros and cons of that approach. We could clear our current mortgage with our savings. But it would leave us with money in the bank. And I think poor work circumstances will make it hard for us to get a mortgage in the next few years.

The alternative would be to keep saving...

If I were you I'd take as much off the current mortgage as possible, there is a crash coming, you know it man, stay out til it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,213 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There may not be a crash but there will be a correction.
    Property prices are not increasing at prior pace and I suggest in 12 months you'll be no worse off if you pause on making a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Murray13 wrote: »
    .... And I think poor work circumstances will make it hard for us to get a mortgage in the next few years.

Mind me asking what you do for a living, that you are concerned that there may be poor work circumstances ahead for the next few years?

Even if your in one of the few industries or professions that are under pressure in Ireland, your skills may be transferable, or a little further education might help you migrate into a new career.

No doubt about it, there are lots of jobs available in Ireland, but obviously, not all jobs are suited for all people etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement
Advertisement