Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to seek second opinion?

Options
  • 31-01-2020 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

I avoided the dentist for about a decade from approx the age of 25 to 35. A dental emergency had me going to the dentist about 14 months ago. After that my dentist asked me to come back in for a cleaning. A routine scale and polish. I went in for a cleaning and he asked me to come back in 6 months. I kept on top of them 6 month cleanings.

Last spring time I was looking in the mirror and I saw my gums. The upper gums don't look healthy. They look red, sometimes they might look pink with a line of red along the gumline. The gums look puffy and spongy. My gums still look like this a year later.

I floss and I brush my teeth. I think there's something else more going on like gum disease or periodontal disease.

At no point over the past year did he order X rays to see if there's anything happening under the gums.
    At no point did he ever mention gum disease to me. He said I have a little bit of gum inflammation but recommended flossing more which I do.
    At no point did he plan a deeper cleaning with me.
    At no point did he ever recommend a periodontist to me.

I do think there's something more serious with my gums going on. There's inflammation there in my upper gums for the past year. It's just in my upper gums. The lower gums are pink in colour.

What do I do about this?

My next cleaning (a regular clean) is due in June.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Your gingiva (gums) are different shades depending on blood profusion, some areas are dark red, some pink depending on capillary density. Some pink, some red, what you haven’t posted is whether they bleed when you brush/floss. Inflamed areas bleed.

If you are concerned, make an appointment with your dentist, but remember, you are responsible for your hygiene so the appointment will not be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Dav010 wrote: »
    Your gingiva (gums) are different shades depending on blood profusion, some areas are dark red, some pink depending on capillary density. Some pink, some red, what you haven’t posted is whether they bleed when you brush/floss. Inflamed areas bleed.

If you are concerned, make an appointment with your dentist, but remember, you are responsible for your hygiene so the appointment will not be free.

I forgot to leave out information about bleeding. They used to bleed when brushing teeth. Not so much anymore. Sometimes some areas might bleed when flossing but it's getting less for sure. After brushing, the spit in the sink, sometimes there's a tinge of pink, sometimes now. Its more clear more often now.

I don't mind paying for the dentist. I'm not flush with cash but I don't mind paying for the dentist. I got a crown done a few weeks ago and that was a bit of a sting in price especially in January but I did it and I found a way to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I joined a Facebook group for gum disease. I think the posters are mainly American based but there are people from the UK and other European countries too like France and Germany.

I was reading posts there and I came across a something. Some posters saying that some dentists are clueless when it comes to gum disease and periodontal disease. One example was she was attending to her dentist regularly every 6 months for cleanings. Her dentist eventually retired and the new dentist diagnosed periodontal disease in her with significant bone loss. She's upset about it because she attended to her dentist regularly and she had no idea about how bad her gums were and she also feels if it was caught earlier, maybe there wouldn't be as much bone loss.

Anyways I created a post and users there urged me to seek out a new dentist and second opinion with one saying her gums were like mine until she got a deep cleaning done.

I'm worried now. I like my dentist and his staff in his practice and I'm getting used to going every 6 months and I'm settling in. I have a fear of dentists and the idea of finding a new dentist doesn't appeal to me. I also think there is an issue with my gums especially the upper gums.

Do I wait it out til my next cleaning or seek out a new dentist? Do I need to be referred to a periodontist here in Ireland or could I make an appointment with a periodontist? I was reading online from Irish periodontists of their price lists and holy moly, I feel sick of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

owlbethere wrote: »
    I joined a Facebook group for gum disease. I think the posters are mainly American based but there are people from the UK and other European countries too like France and Germany.

I was reading posts there and I came across a something. Some posters saying that some dentists are clueless when it comes to gum disease and periodontal disease. One example was she was attending to her dentist regularly every 6 months for cleanings. Her dentist eventually retired and the new dentist diagnosed periodontal disease in her with significant bone loss. She's upset about it because she attended to her dentist regularly and she had no idea about how bad her gums were and she also feels if it was caught earlier, maybe there wouldn't be as much bone loss.

Anyways I created a post and users there urged me to seek out a new dentist and second opinion with one saying her gums were like mine until she got a deep cleaning done.

I'm worried now. I like my dentist and his staff in his practice and I'm getting used to going every 6 months and I'm settling in. I have a fear of dentists and the idea of finding a new dentist doesn't appeal to me. I also think there is an issue with my gums especially the upper gums.

Do I wait it out til my next cleaning or seek out a new dentist? Do I need to be referred to a periodontist here in Ireland or could I make an appointment with a periodontist? I was reading online from Irish periodontists of their price lists and holy moly, I feel sick of it all.

A word of caution, health professionals spend a huge amount of time explaining what you don’t have, due to people reading what crazies write on the internet (yes, I’m aware of the irony). Those people on Facebook have no knowledge of your issue, nor you of theirs.

If you are concerned, either go back to your dentist or get a second opinion.

As an aside, videodoc, an online GP service sold recently for 40k, down from the 17m it was valued at 2 yrs ago, online healthcare is not advised.

Advertisement