Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ye Olde Watch Giveaway

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ten posts here in the forum KH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Wibbs wrote: »

New to the forum myself and I completely agree. If a watch is going to be generously given away, then the regulars from W&T should get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

New to the forum myself and I completely agree. If a watch is going to be generously given away, then the regulars from W&T should get it.

Yep, gotta agree with this. I stumble in here from time to time to have a gander but haven't ever posted i think (until now). A minimum post count is a good way of ensuring that watches will go to those who contribute to keeping the forum active.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Birneybau wrote: »
    Tbh I was glad Pablo won the Vostok.

Hope I wasn't picked up wrong. I've met Pablo in person and he's a gent. My quibble is with people rocking into the thread and putting their name down without contributing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

oxocube wrote: »
    Hope I wasn't picked up wrong. I've met Pablo in person and he's a gent. My quibble is with people rocking into the thread and putting their name down without contributing :cool:

No, not in the slightest. I just meant I'm glad it went to a regular is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Right. I haven't heard anything back so how do we do this? It'll be a template for going forward. Do we create a watch specific thread or keep it in here? I prefer the latter as it's less cluttered and we have a thread specific for our aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Right. I haven't heard anything back so how do we do this? It'll be a template for going forward. Do we create a watch specific thread or keep it in here? I prefer the latter as it's less cluttered and we have a thread specific for our aim.

I think keeping it to this thread would eliminate the risk of clutter too.
    The method of clicking "like" on the offer post really is a great one.
    Saves whomever is offering the watch having to scan the thread for entries.

Maybe just modify the "offer" posts to include a bolded rules blurb?
    Minimum posts and whatever else is agreed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I would say keep it here, have a mod note in the opening post with whatever the decided rules are and change the thread title to mention the opening post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yep keep them all in this thread, we don't want to appear too generous:D with giveaways all over the forum. Is 10 enough posts or would ppl just spam the place up to get counted?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Would it make sense for people to donate the watch, but someone like Wibbs actually does the draw so he can identify any scammers looking for a freebie? More work for Wibbs, but possibly makes the process a little more formal?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Keep it here, a single thread is easy to manage. Does Wibbs get to be in the draw if hes doing the drawing ??? Fr. Ted quote "Its not unusual for the organisers of the draw..." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

I too agree with the ten post rule. As a new enough contributor to the thread and as someone who was lucky enough to be on the receiving end of the generosity of Hitemfrank to receive a beautiful watch , I think it is only fair that the regular, enthusiastic watch collectors and participants of the thread are happy that their donations are going to a good home and to someone who appreciates the generosity of the donor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Frantically searches posting history:D

Prepare for multiple "looks nice" posts if I'm below 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

What a fascinating forum, a great idea if watches go to genuine posters.⏰

Right, time to try this again. I've a classic Casio F-91W boxed that has never seen any wrist time. There's no point in hanging onto it so here we are.

s-l400.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casio_F-91W

Birneybau had the good idea of saying if you want to be in the draw then thank the post. To be eligible you need to have had at least 10 posts in the forum that go back a while. This is to deter users who just want a free watch and haven't contributed anything to the forum. To also combat some of the silliness which was going on I'm going to revert back to a 'regular posters vote' scenario when we know who wants the watch. That means the regulars of the forum can vote for someone who genuinely deserves to get a watch.

A week from today I'll tally who's interested and the names will go into a randomizer to pick a luck recipient.

Right, time to try this again. I've a classic Casio F-91W boxed that has never seen any wrist time. There's no point in hanging onto it so here we are.

s-l400.jpg

Birneybau had the good idea of saying if you want to be in the draw then thank the post. To be eligible you need to have had at least 10 posts in the forum that go back a while. This is to deter users who just want a free watch and haven't contributed anything to the forum. To also combat some of the silliness which was going on I'm going to revert back to a 'regular posters vote' scenario when we know who wants the watch. That means the regulars of the forum can vote for someone who genuinely deserves to get a watch.

A week from today I'll tally who's interested and the posters of the forum get to vote.

Not entering as new enough to the forum, but fair play. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Not entering as new enough to the forum, but fair play. :)

I think 12 posts over 6 months shows a genuine interest! Its only to exclude those who are just chancing their arm for a free watch!

Not sure if there should be a vote is it not better to keep it random to those who enter. Should get wibbs to edit the title and ad some rules in the op.

Ryath wrote: »
    I think 12 posts over 6 months shows a genuine interest! Its only to exclude those who are just chancing their arm for a free watch!

Not sure if there should be a vote is it not better to keep it random to those who enter. Should get wibbs to edit the title and ad some rules in the op.

Perhaps you're right. No-one really seems to know what should/shouldn't be done. Wibbs, what's your opinion chief?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I reckon keep it random and I'll keep an eye out for anyone who might be chancing their arm.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I reckon keep it random and I'll keep an eye out for anyone who might be chancing their wrist.

fixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I was just about to put up the timex (finally turned up!), I'll hold off 'til we see how this will work.

Cool. I've amended the post to state the recipient will be picked randomly.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

s-l400.jpg

Have to say, this is one of my favourite watches. I use mine surprisingly a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Isis members will be turning up thanking the post

Cienciano wrote: »
    Isis members will be turning up thanking the post

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Wow, right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Ryath wrote: »
    Well you learn something new every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

There's a pic of Bin Laden wearing one too floating around the internet..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

hoganj wrote: »
    There's a pic of Bin Laden wearing one too floating around the internet..

Well if that's the case, I want one!

Advertisement