Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Single or double set trigger

Options
  • 28-01-2020 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭

Which is the better. A single or double set trigger. Apart from using them. Which gives the least trouble.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Which is the better. A single or double set trigger. Apart from using them. Which gives the least trouble.

There is more complication in the two of them to go wrong compared to a standard trigger. But I have yet to have problems with either on my rifles. I would say possibly the double set trigger would be least troublesome as you still have your standard trigger which can be operated in the event of an issue with the second trigger. The single set trigger relying on the one trigger for both operations.
    Thats my experience of them others may differ though.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

My old Krico .22wmr has a double set trigger, and I've never liked it.

For hunting (the only thing I use it for), the pull is far too light when set, so I never use it. With the two triggers your finger has to reach further forward to pull the trigger, which is less comfortable, and there's less space inside the trigger guard (couldn't use gloves, for eg).

I'll swap it out for a single non-set trigger if I ever find an old spare one that'll fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

I have a set trigger on my Sako 308, I wouldn't be without it. I use it for target shooting all the time. but not when out hunting deer.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

clivej wrote: »
    I have a set trigger on my Sako 308, I wouldn't be without it. I use it for target shooting all the time. but not when out hunting deer.

Never seen a set trigger on a Sako. Am I right in thinking you push the trigger blade forward to set it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ldc

Like Clivej,
    i have a single set trigger on a Steyr .300, again i use it for target shooting but not for hunting. Never any trouble and i would not be without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Neither is anything like a necessity but I love a double set trigger and two of my rifles have them - not a fan of any of the single sets I've had the chance to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

... set trigger .... Am I right in thinking you push the trigger blade forward to set it?

yup, that's how any of the single sets I've used worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Never seen a set trigger on a Sako. Am I right in thinking you push the trigger blade forward to set it?

Yes thats how it works.
    I also have the set trigger on my CZ 223 varmint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Neither will give more or less trouble over the other, they are very simple in design. It's just down to personal preference. Personally I prefer a single set trigger. You can see here how simplistic they are in design they're basically 5 parts, your sear, sear arm, trigger, a spring that sits on the front of the sear arm, and a small spring under the rear of the sear. :pac:

83286935_10218856185648352_3775045304202559488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=y-Pwu6FQQGwAX9upDEO&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=a170ed9af7dc5a5cc22094d3ca74de00&oe=5E944CF0

Advertisement