Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Indoor Championships 2020 cancelled.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Looks like it's being postponed till 2021 rather than fully cancelled. So back to back world indoors

https://www.athleticsweekly.com/athletics-news/world-indoor-championships-postponed-2021-1039927726/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Probably the right call, even moving it to another country increases the risk of spreading the infection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Probably the right call, even moving it to another country increases the risk of spreading the infection

But would it really stop the spread of infection.
    How many people are travelling around the world each day. Should we stop them from travelling as well to reduce the spread of all infections.
    The amount of people travelling to the world indoor championships be that in what ever country in minuscule in the scheme of things.
    While I do agree to would be ridiculous to hold it in the country the the outbreak is I don't see how staging it in another country would add to the outbreak.. people are still travelling in and out of China as we speak.

Dont get me wrong any sort of virus outbreak is a bad thing. The common flu virus that is doing the rounds started in Australia and has killed more people there that the Coronavirus has in China. Should we have stopped people leaving Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Ceepo wrote: »
    While I do agree to would be ridiculous to hold it in the country the the outbreak is I don't see how staging it in another country would add to the outbreak.. people are still travelling in and out of China as we speak.

I would have thought it was more a logistical thing, Trying to organise a new venue, accomodation, transport (for fans, athletes and support staff) in 8 weeks would be logistically impossible.

But would it really stop the spread of infection.
    How many people are travelling around the world each day. Should we stop them from travelling as well to reduce the spread of all infections.
    The amount of people travelling to the world indoor championships be that in what ever country in minuscule in the scheme of things.

Dont get me wrong any sort of virus outbreak is a bad thing. The common flu virus that is doing the rounds started in Australia and has killed more people there that the Coronavirus has in China. Should we have stopped people leaving Australia.

Problem with the Coronavirus, we don't know if the numbers in China are correct or purposely low. Flights to Asia are now getting cancelled and to be honest I doubt any team from Asia would be allow in the indoors with this going on.
    Yes more have died from the flu, but we have created vaccines for different strains of flu. Coronavirus is a flu but we don't know the real power it has yet and with no known vaccine we don't know what damage it could cause here.

Money is also a factor in this decision and the real reason for sure. Will Olympics be at risk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Problem with the Coronavirus, we don't know if the numbers in China are correct or purposely low. Flights to Asia are now getting cancelled and to be honest I doubt any team from Asia would be allow in the indoors with this going on.
    Yes more have died from the flu, but we have created vaccines for different strains of flu. Coronavirus is a flu but we don't know the real power it has yet and with no known vaccine we don't know what damage it could cause here.

Money is also a factor in this decision and the real reason for sure. Will Olympics be at risk?

Are flights bring cancelled to/from Asia or is it China specifically.

Are flights bring cancelled to/from Asia or is it China specifically.

Hong Kong and China at the moment but expect to hear more.

Hopefully this will blow over

Advertisement