Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ross bypass bridge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Did Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy ever visit Ireland in her life?

And why are we naming it after the mother of a US President - I mean, when did we last name an important piece of Irish infrastructure after the mother of an Irish President - or the mother of a Taoiseach?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Wow! Wow! Assuming their mates can make a nice extra chunk by adding footpath and segregated cycle lanes later. Get the engineers involved , council. Public consultations etc. great !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is it part of a motorway or N road? Jesus Christ... if they had put a bike lane on this it would have been a tourist attraction for cycling in itself like the Waterford Greenway. I despair for this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Fritzbox wrote: »

And why are we naming it after the mother of a US President - I mean, when did we last name an important piece of Irish infrastructure after the mother of an Irish President - or the mother of a Taoiseach?

+1. Mega cringe.

Barrow bridge it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

There's no footpath on 98% of the road network. There's no footpath on the roads leading to and from the bridge. Why would they specifically build a footpath just on the bridge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's not a motorway, but it is a new-build national road with no houses or businesses directly on it, so I'm not sure why it would have a footpath - where would you be going that required walking over it?

A little way downstream, the disused Rosslare-Waterford railway is due to be converted to greenway; though there are question marks over the condition of the old rail bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Fritzbox wrote: »

I've been to New Ross a lot, and you'd think JFK currently lived there the way they've named everything after him.

I get the "oh it'll attract american tourists" idea in theory. But I doubt it has any real effect. Who chooses their holiday based on the name of a bridge?

It just seems so embarrassingly effusive and grovelling. It's effectively the county councils telling unspecified americans "We exist to please you".

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any photos

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There's no footpath on 98% of the road network. There's no footpath on the roads leading to and from the bridge. Why would they specifically build a footpath just on the bridge?

No there is a footpath they just stopped it at the bridge, lol

EPb9-sZXsAITiQZ?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭kksaints

I've been to New Ross a lot, and you'd think JFK currently lived there the way they've named everything after him.

I get the "oh it'll attract american tourists" idea in theory. But I doubt it has any real effect. Who chooses their holiday based on the name of a bridge?

It just seems so embarrassingly effusive and grovelling. It's effectively the county councils telling unspecified americans "We exist to please you".

Should just rename New Ross Kennedy Town at this stage. Although interestingly there was complaints from the Kilkenny councillors (both sides were involved in the naming) about the naming of the bridge. I don't think any of them voted in favour of the name the first time it went to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Why is it not tolled like Dublin infrastructure?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,982 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

because you can walk along the majority of the N road network if you so wish, there are hard shoulders (not that this is an adequate substitute for a footpath). is there such a provision on this bridge, or would it be the case that a pedestrian on the bridge would have the gardai called on them in short order?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

No there is a footpath they just stopped it at the bridge, lol

EPb9-sZXsAITiQZ?format=jpg&name=medium

Thats a lay-by

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's frankly ridiculous to build a bridge on an n-road without a footpath.

Those stating none on the n road- there is a hard shoulder and a verge.

Love to see how the designer and PSDP got around that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There are no pedestrians allowed on it. Same as the bridge on the Waterford bypass. You’re all losing your minds over nothing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's frankly ridiculous to build a bridge on an n-road without a footpath.

Those stating none on the n road- there is a hard shoulder and a verge.

Love to see how the designer and PSDP got around that one.

It's designed as a 2+2 dual carriageway, which have no hard shoulders anywhere in the country. There are no hard shoulders on the rest of the bypass either.

JohnC. wrote: »
    There are no pedestrians allowed on it. Same as the bridge on the Waterford bypass. You’re all losing your minds over nothing.

N25 bridge has fine big hard shoulder.
    Done maintenance on it myself under TM.
    Cyclists allowed on either?

It's designed as a 2+2 dual carriageway, which have no hard shoulders anywhere in the country. There are no hard shoulders on the rest of the bypass either.

Jasus.
    Good luck to whoever has to maintain it so.
    Do you need a lane closure to cut the grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

It's another missed opportunity, same as the Waterford bridge.
    With a little imagination, a footpath / cycle path could have been included to make a looped walk from New Ross, with the bridge crossing being the main attraction.
    In a different league, but the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is a great example, 10M visitors a year.

coastwatch wrote: »
    With a little imagination, a footpath / cycle path could have been included to make a looped walk from New Ross, with the bridge crossing being the main attraction.
    In a different league, but the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco is a great example, 10M visitors a year.

It's not a missed opportunity. It's a bypass to take HGVs and cars out of New Ross. It's not a tourist attraction. Pedestrians should be nowhere near a 100kph dual carriageway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭md23040

The longest bridge in Ireland previous to this is the Foyle Bridge in Derry (11 metres shorter) and it's a hot spot for suicide jumpers with a similar elevation. I am sure that if there was a foot path across the bridge it would become a problem and glad it hasn't been included in the design.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are hard shoulders between the Glenmore roundabout and the R733 interchange, with the exception of the bridge section. It's Type 1 west of the R733 and Type 2 east of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

It's not a missed opportunity. It's a bypass to take HGVs and cars out of New Ross. It's not a tourist attraction. Pedestrians should be nowhere near a 100kph dual carriageway.

Like I said, with a little imagination it could have been a tourist / leisure attraction. BTW, it has a 60km/h speed limit, same as the Golden Gate 3 lane carriageway I mentioned in my post.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

md23040 wrote: »
    The longest bridge in Ireland previous to this is the Foyle Bridge in Derry (11 metres shorter) and it's a hot spot for suicide jumpers with a similar elevation. I am sure that if there was a foot path across the bridge it would become a problem and glad it hasn't been included in the design.

If someone has their mind set on suicide, I'd doubt that a lack of footpath will put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,375 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Like I said, with a little imagination it could have been a tourist / leisure attraction. BTW, it has a 60km/h speed limit, same as the Golden Gate 3 lane carriageway I mentioned in my post.

Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Having had the thrill of cycling across the Golden Gate some years back on one of the Pedestrian/Cyclist sidewalks I had exactly the same thought when walking across the bridge on Sunday last. This is a most disappointing omission. It would have been a major addition to our hoped for network of greenways/long distance footpaths/cycleways.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...but other 100km/h roads are ok to allow pedestrians and cyclists?
    I assume the concept of it being a dual carriageway is irrlevant as everyone should be driving appropriately and responsibly.
    So why then is there no space allocated for road users other than those with an engine?

...but other 100km/h roads are ok to allow pedestrians and cyclists?
    I assume the concept of it being a dual carriageway is irrlevant as everyone should be driving appropriately and responsibly.
    So why then is there no space allocated for road users other than those with an engine?

No. There shouldn't be pedestrians or cyclists on any 100kph road. It's highly dangerous. There's a reason that N roads that are replaced by motorways drop to 80kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jasus untwist your knickers everyone (who has them twisted).

The greenway which is in the planning stages is the bike route not a flipping DC with 30 tonne trucks whizzing by.

Oh and imagine how windy/gusty it is going to be more days than not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Cycling the Golden Gate is a legitimately frightening experience, the noise is deafening and the proximity of the traffic is startling.

Advertisement