Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Donald Trump - Formal Impeachment Inquiry Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

And everything we have seen so far shows that it did.

It doesn't come anywhere close.

He's entitled to ask a newly elected President of Ukraine to look into two matters of alleged corruption in that country which have affected the US. He would be remiss if he did not quite frankly.

For three years democrats pearl cutched about election meddling and yet a clear example of it by certain Ukrainians and they don't want to know, which makes it clear that all the bleating was sanctimonious. When the Steele Dossier was shown to be full of false information, used to spy on a US candidate, the left were all but silent about it. I wonder why no outrage about who was behind it with regards to paying for its creation and publication? Not to mention that it was leaked by corrupt Obama administration officials.

Yeah, the left are really concerned about political corruption alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think we can sum up Trumps "defence" quite simply:

Trump didn't do the thing he's accused of doing, but if he did it was fine, and in fact that's exactly what he did, get over it, because it's not only fine, it's precisely what we want from a president, and can you believe that Biden did the same thing, shame on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

So there would be no issue having Bolton testify

Glad there is some progress

It doesn't come anywhere close.

He's entitled to ask a newly elected President of Ukraine to look into two matters of alleged corruption in that country which have affected the US. He would be remiss if he did not quite frankly.

If corruption was so important to him why did he want ambassador Yovanovitch being taken care of ??

• Advertisement

The Steele Dossier was paid for by Republicans.

That old chestnut. Surprised you didn't say it was barely used as prediction for the warrants anyway, as used to be said.

https://twitter.com/repmarkmeadows/status/962726758414979077?lang=en

That he probably cannot find Ukraine on a map is not a cause to remove him, but it's pretty disappointing that so many people wasted their votes on this ignorant con artist.

The US economy is booming. Certain jobs Obama said would require a magic wand are back too. Not sure why anyone who voted for Trump would feel their vote was wasted.

weisses wrote: »
    If corruption was so important to him why did he want ambassador Yovanovitch being taken care of ??

Eh, that's a strange question.

Clearly he had been told she had bad mouthed him, was speaking about him being impeached etc. Seems he also didn't like who she was engaging with in Ukraine.

Personally I would question some of what he was told as Parnas and Co clearly had financial motives for wanting her out themselves. That he was recording Trump shows that he was bad news and that he lied to Maddow should have people questioning pretty much everything he said.

I think we can sum up Trumps "defence" quite simply:

Trump didn't do the thing he's accused of doing, but if he did it was fine, and in fact that's exactly what he did, get over it, because it's not only fine, it's precisely what we want from a president, and can you believe that Biden did the same thing, shame on him.

Would've been a really clever reply if only for the fact that:

1) I never said nor suggested that if Trump asked for investigations purely for help in an election that it would be okay.
    2) Nor that such a thing would be okay for a president.
    3) That Biden done the same thing as Trump.

Aside from those three things though, your post is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Clearly he had been told she had bad mouthed him, was speaking about him being impeached etc. Seems he also didn't like who she was engaging with in Ukraine.

Personally I would question some of what he was told as Parnas and Co clearly had financial motives for wanting her out themselves. That he was recording Trump shows that he was bad news and that he lied to Maddow should have people questioning pretty much everything he said.

If Trump is a paragon of virtue and a kbift for anti corruption, why'd he hide the actual recording of the call with Zelinski?
    Do you remember not answering that question when I asked it to you 5 times back when the story broke?

Hmmm ... I thought the ambassador was pretty glued in in regards to corruption in the Ukraine ... Trump being tough on corruption would be very reluctant to get rid of her ... unless he had other motives

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    If Trump is a paragon of virtue and a kbift for anti corruption, why'd he hide the actual recording of the call with Zelinski?
    Do you remember not answering that question when I asked it to you 5 times back when the story broke?

I answered you. You just didn't like the answer.

Trump didn't hide the call. According to Morrison it was highly classified in error.

image.png
    image.png
    image.png
    image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump didn't hide the call. According to Morrison it was highly classified in error.

Eh no you didn't as Morrison hadn't testified then

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And yet they still haven't declassified it nor have they released the ACTUAL transcript.

Why is that?

And if Bolton is lying and Trump didn't directly link the Ukraine investigation to his personal benefit, then get him under oath and charge him with Perjury. Get it all out in the open and on record.

As the old saying goes "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" , but quite ironically Trump seems to not be a fan of Sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And yet they still haven't declassified it nor have they released the ACTUAL transcript.
    I was under the impression that no such actual transcript existed - that the 'memorandum' was as precise a record as existed.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=495120&d=1573569234

Jesus, man, we discussed this before. Vindman was asked when questioned in the damn bunker if what was released matched the call and he said it did apart for two edits (which we also discussed). If there was something substantive missing then he above all people would have made it known. I don't get why you push this so much. We have the damn call. He didn't hide it originally and he's not hiding anything now.
    And if Bolton is lying and Trump didn't directly link the Ukraine investigation to his personal benefit, then get him under oath and charge him with Perjury. Get it all out in the open and on record.

Maybe you have missed my posts but I have been saying for months that I want to see him testify. However, that doesn't mean I think there is a damn thing wrong with Trump not letting him. Quite frankly, given the disrespect Schiff and Pelosi showed to the WH and to Republicans, I think they should make it as hard as they can for the democrats.
    As the old saying goes "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" , but quite ironically Trump seems to not be a fan of Sunlight.

Has Michael Atkinson's testimony been released yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

As he keeps saying, read the transcript (The one the remains classified, in error allegedly). But we're to believe the current summary (despite the previous press summary omitting lots of pertinent info), is kosher?

What's he hiding, why are they still blocking witnesses. To clear his name it would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Even if Joe Biden was the most corrupt politician on the planet that would be irrelevant. Either what Trump (and the trial is about Trump, nobody else) did constitutes hugh crimes and misdemeanors or it doesnt. And everything we have seen so far shows that it did.
    I think if it transpires that Biden was breaking laws then it goes away. There will be nobody left standing to carry it on.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think if it transpires that Biden was breaking laws then it goes away. There will be nobody left standing to carry it on.

it makes no difference what biden has done. trump bribed a foreign government for his own personal benefit. that is enough to make him unfit to be president.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

The Steele Dossier was paid for by Republicans. That he probably cannot find Ukraine on a map is not a cause to remove him, but it's pretty disappointing that so many people wasted their votes on this ignorant con artist.
    facepalm.gif
    Oh, bother. For the 738,428,773rd time... the Steele Dossier was NOT paid for by Republicans.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

it makes no difference what biden has done. trump bribed a foreign government for his own personal benefit. that is enough to make him unfit to be president.
    It make all the difference in the world what Biden did. He bragged on TV about a quid pro quo involving the firing of the prosecutor who was investigating the company that hired his son to give them cover from US scrutiny. It shows Trump had ample reason to suggest Ukraine should look into the matter.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

What evidence are your basing your assertion on that Trump bribed a foreign government?

Do you know what a bribe is?

first post on a trump thread. LOL

Why is that?

There's another old saying... "Actions speak louder than words."

Did Ukraine start an investigation into the Biden’s corruption after the Trump call?

NO.

Did the Ukrainian president believe the money that was held up was tied to him launching an investigation into the Bidens?

NO.

Was the money released with no investigation, announced or undertaken, by Ukraine into the Bidens?

YES.

Presidents have advisors for a reason… to kick around ideas, feelings and things that obviously never come to fruition. That’s why presidents use executive privilege in these matters. Trump might have noted to Bolton he wished he could hold up money until Ukraine tackled numerous concerning corruption matters... but bottom line the Ukrainian president didn’t think there was any quid pro quo and a good portion of the money was released well ahead of the September 30, 2019 date that funds were meant to be spent.

first post on a trump thread. LOL
    When you got nothing... attack the poster?

notobtuse wrote: »
    There's another old saying... "Actions speak louder than words."

Did Ukraine start an investigation into the Biden’s corruption after the Trump call?

NO.

Did the Ukrainian president believe the money that was held up was tied to him launching an investigation into the Bidens?

NO.

what are you basing that on? has zelensky given testimony?

Was the money released with no investigation, announced or undertaken, by Ukraine into the Bidens?

YES.
    Was the money released before or after the whistleblower came forward? can you remind us of that?

what are you basing that on? has zelensky given testimony?

Was the money released before or after the whistleblower came forward? can you remind us of that?
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2019/10/01/lead-clarissa-ward-3p-live-jake-tapper.cnn

I didn't see thumb screws being used. What evil hidden torture devices do you think were being utilized to force him into that admission?

And I understand the money was released after a credible UFO sighting went public. OMG... ALIENS made him do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

That reminds me of that time I didnt break into your house cos I got caught by the police and they just let me go because I didnt commit the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,854 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I fully understand that but there will be nobody to keep it going if Biden is found to have acted in a corrupt manner.
    So it makes a huge difference.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2019/10/01/lead-clarissa-ward-3p-live-jake-tapper.cnn

I didn't see thumb screws being used. What evil hidden torture devices do you think were being utilized to force him into that admission?

And I understand the money was released after a credible UFO sighting went public. OMG... ALIENS made him do it.

an intelligent response as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Yeah, the left are really concerned about political corruption alright.

Do you think the President cares one bit about corruption? He has been facilitating Russian money laundering forever through his property empire.

The US have vested interests, military and otherwise in countless countries, most of which a rife with corruption. Does he care about those countries?

He only is interested in Ukraine as he hoped they had dirt on his main political rival.

He was doing this for political gain, not to fight corruption.

He held up aid to try and get this information.

That is an abuse of office.

It's really not that complicated and anything else is 'whataboutery'.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine if it was proven that Trump begged a Russian president to give him space on missile defense ahead of the November election, which signaled to Russia it was free to invade the Ukraine, and then Trump sent blankets to the Ukraine in order to fight the invading army? Trump would not only be impeached but in jail deciding on his last meal.

Advertisement