Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

S&C classes tailored specifically for runners

• 20-01-2020 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience when it comes to taking part in S&C classes with specific focus on runners and how it benefited them, if at all? Has anyone any recommendations for such classes in Dublin?

Regards,
    EireEV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Not classes but if you look JP Gloria's channel on YouTube it has lots of excerises specifically aimed at runners. You don't need any equipment for most of them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfKZiZbk2tkbggndLk15WIcdJYl9PjScU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

EireEV wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience when it comes to taking part in S&C classes with specific focus on runners and how it benefited them, if at all? Has anyone any recommendations for such classes in Dublin?

Regards,
    EireEV

Dublin Sports clinic have a fantastic timetable and the amazing Peter Mathews so have a look there. A brilliant facility and great staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

EireEV wrote: »
    Hi,

Regards,
    EireEV

Highly recommend Functional Patterns in Donabate. These guys are the best in the business, their attention to detail is 2nd too none.

They run classes and 1-2-1 training
    All the exercises are based around the gait cycle and throwing biomechanics. They will also look for restriction and dysfunctional movements and go through myofascia release techniques to help you optimise your movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

aquinn wrote: »
    Dublin Sports clinic have a fantastic timetable and the amazing Peter Mathews so have a look there. A brilliant facility and great staff.

Yep +1 here, these classes are great. Called "Run-Fit" here:

https://www.dublinsportsclinic.ie/timetable/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tommykb

I got an instagram ad for the Dublin Sports Injury Clinic for a 6 week s&c course specifically for runners. I've never done this before in all my years running but had been looking at it to see if it can help me make some gains and run faster of course!

I started three weeks ago, I'm doing one session a week for the first four Mondays of January to see how it goes. My main worry was that I'd be too sore to get the miles in that I need throughout the week. So far, I've been sore for sure, I take a Tuesday as my rest day, but Wed & Thur have still been sore and I've dropped interval or tempo sessions on those days. Typically ok then for running on Friday, long run on Sat and run on Sun.

I'm hoping that when I I've done 4 weeks, I'll know what impact it has on my running schedule. I don't know if I'll be able to tell much after four weeks for "gains". I'm running Kinvarra marathon in March so I cannot compromise the miles for s&c training so I'll have to think about it as to whether I keep going for Feb or park it until after April when I've a good gap between marathons. That's my take on it so far, be interested to hear others stories on how it impacted their day to day training initially and thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

tommykb wrote: »
    ....so I cannot compromise the miles for s&c training ....

As someone who had this attitude for years, please start thinking about it the other way around. S&C are the foundations of your house and you shouldn't start building walls without that foundation in place first. The walls might stay up for a while but eventually the house will tumble down when it is stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

EC1000 wrote: »
    As someone who had this attitude for years, please start thinking about it the other way around. S&C are the foundations of your house and you shouldn't start building walls without that foundation in place first. The walls might stay up for a while but eventually the house will tumble down when it is stressed.

+1 on this. S and C is not supplementary it is part of training just as much as the miles both from an injury prevention side as well as a performance one

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Devil's advocate here (even though the places mentioned do seem good)

Is there an over emphasis on "S&C" for average runners now? Is it an easier way to do something related to running rather than going outside in the winter, for some people I'm sure it is.

What does it even mean, there are literally 100s of movements, variations and programming options. There are probably good and bad providers out there but simply adding it in without knowing what will benefit you as an individual might not be the best action.

Did the average runner 40 years ago do any gym work and did they have higher injury rates and worse performances? I think not, but they probably had more active lifestyles and less body fat/better posture.

I suspect a lot of the benefit of gym work is correcting some of the postural issues and imbalances from long hours sitting in offices and cars.

The performance benefits are probably limited for long distance runners, especially if the gym focus is on strength. Even a lot of so called specific work is gimmicky. How many people are doing "specific" gym work for running, but don't know what an A-skip is?!

Use the gym to build a balanced human, use the road/track to build a runner.

Running is more about tendons and elasticity than strength, and I've found eccentric work can have positive effects on Achilles/calf issues and hamstrings.

Apologies for the ramble, I'm no expert, but it is an interesting area which I think should be discussed more specifically rather than under the blanket "S&C" covering all gym/lifting work.

As someone who is a terrible runner but lifted lots of heavy weights in the past it is a topic close to my heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I've been debating this issue as I get to the midway point of the Hanson marathon plan. It's all based on cumulative fatigue so I was worried about overdoing S&C work. Have been doing my own stuff on session days to leave easy/recovery days easy.
    Just wondering what peoples views on rowing machine work as a form strength training?

Edit:

Running is more about tendons and elasticity than strength, and I've found eccentric work can have positive effects on Achilles/calf issues and hamstrings.

I'm no expert either but running alone can cause imbalances that lead to injury. In my case I ended up getting 2 MRIs to get to the bottom of a problem that ended up being cured by a program of strength work. As for people doing S&C to avoid going out and running....I don't think you'll find many here that come under that category, most have to force themselves to do S&C because getting out and running is what they would prefer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Devil's advocate here (even though the places mentioned do seem good)

Is there an over emphasis on "S&C" for average runners now? Is it an easier way to do something related to running rather than going outside in the winter, for some people I'm sure it is.

What does it even mean, there are literally 100s of movements, variations and programming options. There are probably good and bad providers out there but simply adding it in without knowing what will benefit you as an individual might not be the best action.

Did the average runner 40 years ago do any gym work and did they have higher injury rates and worse performances? I think not, but they probably had more active lifestyles and less body fat/better posture.

I suspect a lot of the benefit of gym work is correcting some of the postural issues and imbalances from long hours sitting in offices and cars.

The performance benefits are probably limited for long distance runners, especially if the gym focus is on strength. Even a lot of so called specific work is gimmicky. How many people are doing "specific" gym work for running, but don't know what an A-skip is?!

Apologies for the ramble, I'm no expert, but it is an interesting area which I think should be discussed more specifically rather than under the blanket "S&C" covering all gym/lifting work.

As someone who is a terrible runner but lifted lots of heavy weights in the past it is a topic close to my heart!

I completely get where you are coming from and in my opinion you have answered the reason why it is invaluable.

Strength and conditioning is more important now than it was 40 years ago for a couple of reasons

- more office jobs, longer commutes and more sedentary lives in general
    - more people these days are coming back to the sport as opposed to growing up on it ie fundamental development of movements and aerobic base
    - we don’t eat as health as previously due to convenience foods and time constraints meaning that the profile of the average runner in terms of weight is different now than it was 40 years ago (and in fact the general population overall)

Most people realistically can’t handle the mileage they need to be doing without breaking down injuries and this is where strength and conditioning comes into play it should be a more controlled and purposeful movement than simply bonking on a long run and letting gravity take over in terms of form and ground contact.

I do agree with you that it is a catch all term and as a result a lot of what is perceived as strength and conditioning has little carry over in terms of specificity but if it is done in tangent with the training it will improve runner. Problem is it’s seen as an either or and that is where people fall down as they go for one or the other.

Conditioning can be as simple as strides and hill reps or can be as complex as power cleans but the normal notion of a couple of planks transforming your running is one that I think we are thankfully starting to move away from somewhat

• Advertisement

sideswipe wrote: »
    I've been debating this issue as I get to the midway point of the Hanson marathon plan. It's all based on cumulative fatigue so I was worried about overdoing S&C work. Have been doing my own stuff on session days to leave easy/recovery days easy.
    Just wondering what peoples views on rowing machine work as a form strength training?

Edit:

I'm no expert either but running alone can cause imbalances that lead to injury. In my case I ended up getting 2 MRIs to get to the bottom of a problem that ended up being cured by a program of strength work. As for people doing S&C to avoid going out and running....I don't think you'll find many here that come under that category, most have to force themselves to do S&C because getting out and running is what they would prefer IMO.

I would say rowing machine is more endurance than strength work. If you are at 30 strokes per minute that is not really strength work. It might work as some form of cross training on easy days though.

I think I disagree on running causing imbalances. If you are at appropriate body weight and don't have pre-existing issues it will not cause imbalances. What imbalance can running cause that is of relevance to a runner? If you train at inappropriate volume/intensity or have other issues that's another story.

I appreciate the some specific strengthening helped you and I am all for that. But I assume it was targeted and specific to you and your injury.

My main issue is with personal trainers in gyms, who themselves have no idea about running and then recommending programs and exercises to people who don't really know what they need.
    KSU wrote: »
    I completely get where you are coming from and in my opinion you have answered the reason why it is invaluable.

Strength and conditioning is more important now than it was 40 years ago for a couple of reasons

- more office jobs, longer commutes and more sedentary lives in general
    - more people these days are coming back to the sport as opposed to growing up on it ie fundamental development of movements and aerobic base
    - we don’t eat as health as previously due to convenience foods and time constraints meaning that the profile of the average runner in terms of weight is different now than it was 40 years ago (and in fact the general population overall)

Most people realistically can’t handle the mileage they need to be doing without breaking down injuries and this is where strength and conditioning comes into play it should be a more controlled and purposeful movement than simply bonking on a long run and letting gravity take over in terms of form and ground contact.

I do agree with you that it is a catch all term and as a result a lot of what is perceived as strength and conditioning has little carry over in terms of specificity but if it is done in tangent with the training it will improve runner. Problem is it’s seen as an either or and that is where people fall down as they go for one or the other.

Conditioning can be as simple as strides and hill reps or can be as complex as power cleans but the normal notion of a couple of planks transforming your running is one that I think we are thankfully starting to move away from somewhat

I can't really disagree with you, but for the sake of discussion I'll try :)

With respect to the mileage, why can't people handle it?

It can take an elite runner several years to adapt to the marathon from doing 5/10,000m on the track. This is from an already high base.

The lure of the marathon is pulling people in who have only a few years of running experience. Most have nowhere near tapped their potential at 5k or shorter. Many were semi sedentary before starting to run in adulthood, their bodies just have not had time to adapt to running and they begin a marathon plan!

Far from running causing imbalances, majority of people need to run more, but be more patient. Don't do a marathon until you have 8-10 years under your belt. Nobody wants to hear that.

Is strength work just a short cut (or a work around) that we use to compensate for the fact that the average marathoner does not have the lifetime mileage required to take on the distance.

I got an instagram ad for the Dublin Sports Injury Clinic for a 6 week s&c course specifically for runners. I've never done this before in all my years running but had been looking at it to see if it can help me make some gains and run faster of course!

I started three weeks ago, I'm doing one session a week for the first four Mondays of January to see how it goes. My main worry was that I'd be too sore to get the miles in that I need throughout the week. So far, I've been sore for sure, I take a Tuesday as my rest day, but Wed & Thur have still been sore and I've dropped interval or tempo sessions on those days. Typically ok then for running on Friday, long run on Sat and run on Sun.

I'm hoping that when I I've done 4 weeks, I'll know what impact it has on my running schedule. I don't know if I'll be able to tell much after four weeks for "gains". I'm running Kinvarra marathon in March so I cannot compromise the miles for s&c training so I'll have to think about it as to whether I keep going for Feb or park it until after April when I've a good gap between marathons. That's my take on it so far, be interested to hear others stories on how it impacted their day to day training initially and thereafter.

Can you clarify what "specifically for runners" is and how does that differ from regular s&c.

When you say you're sore, what muscles specifically are sore?..

Edit.. I probably should have said muscle groups like quads, hamstring, glutes etc rather that individual muscles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

My opinion is.....work each of the main lower body muscles twice a week = injury prevention for 99% of runners. You're welcome.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    My opinion is.....work each of the main lower body muscles twice a week = injury prevention for 99% of runners. You're welcome.

How do you integrate your core into your lower body workout. ?

Ceepo wrote: »
    How do you integrate your core into your lower body workout. ?

I don't, but I don't feel the need to, also hate core work. I think years of hill sprints and wrestling with my son more than covers it. My scientific study of one may have some flaws. I guess if you have a weak core than you can add core work to my perfect program

I don't, but I don't feel the need to, also hate core work. I think years of hill sprints and wrestling with my son more than covers it. My scientific study of one may have some flaws. I guess if you have a weak core than you can add core work to my perfect program

It's not necessarily whether you do core work or not, its whether you integrate your core work when you're doing other work.
    Having strong muscle groups in your legs is all well and good, but if you lack stability in your hips and core then your going to get problems.

It's not necessarily whether you do core work or not, its whether you integrate your core work when you're doing other work.
    Having strong muscle groups in your legs is all well and good, but if you lack stability in your hips and core then your going to get problems.

Okay you seem quite knowledgeable Ceepo, what do you make of my routine

Done at home, I have a thick band, kettlebells and a floor

Bulgarian Squats - quads
    single leg rdl - hamstrings
    weighted glute bridges - bum (also find them great for runners knee)
    Eccentric Calf Raises - essential to protect your Achilles imo
    Hip Flexor band work - I started them a few weeks before my 400 pb so i love them ever since(band around shin, knee up, push foot forward)

finish up with 3 x hip movement/strength routine(ive a desk job and I feel they help)

ill add core work, just hate it for some reason. If i could only do one exercise it would be eccentric calf raises.

Okay you seem quite knowledgeable Ceepo, what do you make of my routine

Done at home, I have a thick band, kettlebells and a floor

Bulgarian Squats - quads
    single leg rdl - hamstrings
    weighted glute bridges - bum (also find them great for runners knee)
    Eccentric Calf Raises - essential to protect your Achilles imo
    Hip Flexor band work - I started them a few weeks before my 400 pb so i love them ever since(band around shin, knee up, push foot forward)

finish up with 3 x hip movement/strength routine(ive a desk job and I feel they help)

ill add core work, just hate it for some reason. If i could only do one exercise it would be eccentric calf raises.

I certainly no s&c expert that's for sure. What i do look at is how we move.

All your above excersis are for specific muscle groups, done in isolation but none of them intergate, or translate into gait, and with out seeing you doing some of them it's very hard to know if you are doing them without using a compensation.
    Doing these type s&c is like buying all the individual components to make a car, building it at home but not having the dcu (computer) attached to make it work.
    If you look at the gait cycle, no part of it works on isolation.
    It work by contralateral movement, left leg out right arm out and vice versa.
    You also need to have rotation when you walk or run, and this rotation will happen at some phase of the gait cycle, for some it will be the knee, for others the hip but it should come from the t-spine.
    Try standing in front of a mirror and rotating you ribcage left or right without moving your hips. This simple move is incredibly hard for some people to do.

Just to take some of your example excersis above and critical look at them from a gait perspective.
    Glute bridge.
    Assuming you are lying on the floor, knees bent and lifting your hip up (bilateral extension), add in a weight to add resistance. While it can be argued that this building glute strength, this is not how the hips work, in reality one hip goes into flexion as the other goes into extension. To take it further because you are lying on the floor you take the need for the core to stop the spine from going into flexion or extension.
    The function of the core is to stabilise the spine, but in your excersis you are using the floor to do it.

Hip flexor with band.
    Where is your leg starting point for these and where are your hips. ?. Are they in neutral, Anterior pelvic shift, or tilt ??
    Where are you pulling the band from?
    This will have a impact on how you perform it.
    Other things you need to take into account is, if you bring your knee up ( this is knee flexion) you need to have the resistance from hip extension (taking a straight line from centre of rib cage to centre of hip and your leg behind this line ) all through hip flexion, keeping the spine from moving into extension or flexion ( in neutral) while carrying out the exercise.

Calf raise.
    Say you do 3 sets of 30 eccentric/concentric on each leg. This adds up to 90 in total which approx the number of steps you intake in 1 minute of running. How many steps do you take over 5k 10k etc... ??
    You probably do these on a step, lifting up and down. What action does you calves do when you run? Do you want them to lift you up ?

While there is value is having strong muscles there is better value in moving right. Getting the body to move as one unit. Getting t-spine rotation while in knee flexion, the core stabilise the trunk, while at the same time getting the contralateral glute to bring the hip into hyperextension.

Hope this gives you some in sight to my thoughts ;)

Calf raise.
    Say you do 3 sets of 30 eccentric/concentric on each leg. This adds up to 90 in total which approx the number of steps you intake in 1 minute of running. How many steps do you take over 5k 10k etc... ??
    You probably do these on a step, lifting up and down. What action does you calves do when you run? Do you want them to lift you up ?

Eccentric heel drops is what i meant but anyway, same thing. If you hurt your achilles this is what a physio will ask you to do, it will strengthen and prevent the injury recurring. Isn't that what we're talking about here, exercises that prevent injury? What would you replace this exercise with? And if this already does the job is there any point in changing? It's a very simple exercise anyone can do at home that is already proven to work. (3 x 15 with added weight if needed btw).

If I stopped this routine within a few weeks my knee and achilles would be asking questions. Maybe some sort of core integration would be better but it still works!

Eccentric heel drops is what i meant but anyway, same thing. If you hurt your achilles this is what a physio will ask you to do, it will strengthen and prevent the injury recurring. Isn't that what we're talking about here, exercises that prevent injury? What would you replace this exercise with? And if this already does the job is there any point in changing? It's a very simple exercise anyone can do at home that is already proven to work. (3 x 15 with added weight if needed btw).

If I stopped this routine within a few weeks my knee and achilles would be asking questions. Maybe some sort of core integration would be better but it still works!

As with all these things. If you find what you're doing is working, keep doing it..
    Do you think the exercise you're doing are fixing your problems or keeping them at bay?.

So you have some Achilles and knee problems.
    Is it both Achilles and knees..?.
    Have you asked yourself why they started to have problems in the 1st place..??

• Advertisement

Both started when I upped my mileage, switched from sprinting to middle distance. Bit of strength work, sorted. I would say if I was to look deeper, tight calves certainly an issue, but i'm moving well so no need to tinker at the moment.

I think you might be on to something BUT, I have watched countless professionals weightlifting, I wouldn't discount working muscles in isolation. They might not be the perfect exercise but for us average joes, just having a general overall strength goes a long way to avoiding injury and performing well. No need to complicate it, certainly on this forum where pretty much everyone is a master runner, some simple calisthenics at home would do the job just right.

I know you wont agree but nice chatting anyway :)

@Ceepo

This is exactly the type of discussion I was hoping for.

Ivory Tower does eccentric calf raises as a specific rehab/prehab which allows him to get his sessions in. Slow eccentric loading does create adaptions in the tendon rather than the muscle itself. This is a case of using the gym to allow the runner to actually do the miles and the sessions, the gym is just a tool to allow us to get more/better quality running done.

You are right about complexity and variations of exercises and specificity to running. But if you try to be too specific in the gym, then you may as well just be running, doing drills, or hills? Quad extensions may be useless to most runners. Controlled nordic hamstring exercise or RDLs look nothing like gait cycle but they might create muscle/tendon adaptions. These may make a runner more robust or make tendon thicker to store and return energy better.

Each individual has a different need for general strength exercises, special strength/specific strength exercises, prehab/rehab exercises, and actually performing the sport.

I see your point about gait. But even if we are specific to the gait positions and muscle groups, gym exercises are too slow and too muscle driven to actually be that specific. How much strength work does a distance runner really need in certain exercises? I don't know. Is it better to get a bit stronger in say a deadlift/squat and use drills and hills, maybe plyometrics, to help carry that into gait cycle? Or do a more specific exercise?

Every individual will have different needs. Most lower level, beginners, youths can progress without specific work in gym.

I think IT has it right, do some general exercises to be balanced, do the specific/prehab exercises you need to keep injury free. Become a better runner by running.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tommykb

Can you clarify what "specifically for runners" is and how does that differ from regular s&c.

When you say you're sore, what muscles specifically are sore?..

Edit.. I probably should have said muscle groups like quads, hamstring, glutes etc rather that individual muscles
    Specifically for runners - I'm not looking for a sixpack :) Glutes, quads, hamstrings - the person I'm working with has a lot of runners and is also a physio. He knows where the injuries come from and is looking to strengthen the areas to try and reduce the risk of injury as well as strengthen the areas. I'm finding the glutes the sorest so far! (apologies for the late reply!)

Specifically for runners - I'm not looking for a sixpack :) Glutes, quads, hamstrings - the person I'm working with has a lot of runners and is also a physio. He knows where the injuries come from and is looking to strengthen the areas to try and reduce the risk of injury as well as strengthen the areas. I'm finding the glutes the sorest so far! (apologies for the late reply!)

So basically hip flexion/extension, leg flexion/extension type exercises with little or no upper body excersis. Would that be a fair assessment

Both started when I upped my mileage, switched from sprinting to middle distance. Bit of strength work, sorted. I would say if I was to look deeper, tight calves certainly an issue, but i'm moving well so no need to tinker at the moment.

I think you might be on to something BUT, I have watched countless professionals weightlifting, I wouldn't discount working muscles in isolation. They might not be the perfect exercise but for us average joes, just having a general overall strength goes a long way to avoiding injury and performing well. No need to complicate it, certainly on this forum where pretty much everyone is a master runner, some simple calisthenics at home would do the job just right.

I know you wont agree but nice chatting anyway :)

There is probably a 50/50 chance of the stretching comportment part of doing the eccentric heal drop that helped you Achilles as much as the strengthen part of it. While we know you upped the millage this might explain why you and some soreness in you calves and knees, but why ?? are you quad dominant ?? are your calves overworking ??

Forgive me not holding up weightlifters as people who move well. They might be well able to lift a heavy weight but that doesn't mean they can move well.

Again its not really a matter of whether i agree or disagree, thats not really relevant, it's about what is the optimal way of moving, so that we minimize the risk of injury and maximize efficiency.

@Ceepo

This is exactly the type of discussion I was hoping for.

Ivory Tower does eccentric calf raises as a specific rehab/prehab which allows him to get his sessions in. Slow eccentric loading does create adaptions in the tendon rather than the muscle itself. This is a case of using the gym to allow the runner to actually do the miles and the sessions, the gym is just a tool to allow us to get more/better quality running done.

You are right about complexity and variations of exercises and specificity to running. But if you try to be too specific in the gym, then you may as well just be running, doing drills, or hills? Quad extensions may be useless to most runners. Controlled nordic hamstring exercise or RDLs look nothing like gait cycle but they might create muscle/tendon adaptions. These may make a runner more robust or make tendon thicker to store and return energy better.

Each individual has a different need for general strength exercises, special strength/specific strength exercises, prehab/rehab exercises, and actually performing the sport.

I see your point about gait. But even if we are specific to the gait positions and muscle groups, gym exercises are too slow and too muscle driven to actually be that specific. How much strength work does a distance runner really need in certain exercises? I don't know. Is it better to get a bit stronger in say a deadlift/squat and use drills and hills, maybe plyometrics, to help carry that into gait cycle? Or do a more specific exercise?

Every individual will have different needs. Most lower level, beginners, youths can progress without specific work in gym.

I think IT has it right, do some general exercises to be balanced, do the specific/prehab exercises you need to keep injury free. Become a better runner by running.

I would have had similar thoughts around running and s&c as yourself for a long period of time. That was until I started to dive down the rabbit hole that is posture and biomechanics, and how it relates to everything we do. This change my whole outlook and the way I treat clients.
    The human body is designed to walk, run and throw. So you could say there is a blueprint for moving. But the human body also has the great ability to compensate for movement dysfunction.

While increasing strength is a good thing, this does not necessarily mean thet we utilise it when moving. A good example of this is, many runners are told they have weak glutes, and need to strengthen them, yet they run may miles per week. If their glutes were working each time their foot hit the ground then their glutes shouldn't be weak. Doing specific glute strengthening excersis will make them stronger, but wont make them work when needed.
    In order to activate properly a muscle needs neurological input, strength and length potential.

Gait is a multi plane movement, all the exercises mentioned here are in sagittal plane.
    What would you recommend for lateral or transverse plane movement ?.
    Are you aware of the Anterior and posterior oblique slings and its influence on gait, and how would you reccomend to integrate it as part of your s&c?.
    As we walk or run, what is the weight distribution between each leg, is it 50/50?

This is not as much as being specific in the gym, but more about developing the neurological pathways to allow muscle contraction at a specific time when needed. In turn this will develop the strength in movement. Train the movements not the muscle.

You also mentioned above about individual needs and this is very true. But yet most of what is done is as I stated sagittal plane movement. These movements create a dissociation between activated muscles and gait.
    I would slightly change what you say that most new to running or youths don't need to say that they dont need general gym work but might need specific gait retraining.

All of this can be done at home with a few resistance band and dumbbells or kettlebells and if course the knowledge of what and how to do it.

NB We as runners on this forum might think the gait only applys to running. We are a bit tunnel visioned to our sport. Training a few hours a week, while forgetting that we walk from the time we get up. Be that to toilet, kitchen, car ,bus work etc etc and pay no attention to it at all.
    This just doesn't apply to runners but also the vast amount of sports that people play and also to people with chronic pain.

I would have had similar thoughts around running and s&c as yourself for a long period of time. That was until I started to dive down the rabbit hole that is posture and biomechanics, and how it relates to everything we do. This change my whole outlook and the way I treat clients.
    The human body is designed to walk, run and throw. So you could say there is a blueprint for moving. But the human body also has the great ability to compensate for movement dysfunction.

While increasing strength is a good thing, this does not necessarily mean thet we utilise it when moving. A good example of this is, many runners are told they have weak glutes, and need to strengthen them, yet they run may miles per week. If their glutes were working each time their foot hit the ground then their glutes shouldn't be weak. Doing specific glute strengthening excersis will make them stronger, but wont make them work when needed.
    In order to activate properly a muscle needs neurological input, strength and length potential.

Gait is a multi plane movement, all the exercises mentioned here are in sagittal plane.
    What would you recommend for lateral or transverse plane movement ?.
    Are you aware of the Anterior and posterior oblique slings and its influence on gait, and how would you reccomend to integrate it as part of your s&c?.
    As we walk or run, what is the weight distribution between each leg, is it 50/50?

This is not as much as being specific in the gym, but more about developing the neurological pathways to allow muscle contraction at a specific time when needed. In turn this will develop the strength in movement. Train the movements not the muscle.

You also mentioned above about individual needs and this is very true. But yet most of what is done is as I stated sagittal plane movement. These movements create a dissociation between activated muscles and gait.
    I would slightly change what you say that most new to running or youths don't need to say that they dont need general gym work but might need specific gait retraining.

All of this can be done at home with a few resistance band and dumbbells or kettlebells and if course the knowledge of what and how to do it.

NB We as runners on this forum might think the gait only applys to running. We are a bit tunnel visioned to our sport. Training a few hours a week, while forgetting that we walk from the time we get up. Be that to toilet, kitchen, car ,bus work etc etc and pay no attention to it at all.
    This just doesn't apply to runners but also the vast amount of sports that people play and also to people with chronic pain.

Good post I agree with basically everything and am picking up new info, thanks.

On the exercises I mentioned, nordics, eccentric rdls, or calf raises. They would be included for a specific purpose, to produce a growth/corrective remodelling of the tendon tissue. In controlled eccentric overloading there is research that shows the growth of new tendon tissue is better aligned, which is useful for people suffering tendonitis. Running (or other faster contraction exercises) also stimulates the tendon but the regrowth is more likely to be disorganised, which is a problem for people prone to Achilles problems. These eccentrics are not to directly translate to running but might make someone more resilient to injury.

Apart from looking for specific physical adaptions like the above I don't know if a distance runner needs to lift weights at all.

I do come back to specificity and what is specific.
    Someone might do hops as a plyometric type exercise.
    Hops on one leg might seem more specific, and it is for stabilizing and landing mechanics. But two legged might be more specific relative to ground conact time and forces.

With respect to youths and beginners I am thinking from a throws/sprint perspective. If you have a young shotputter who only benches 100kg and he gets that to 150, it will probably carry over very well to his throws. Going from 150 to 200 might take twice as much effort in the gym and have half the carry over. This time would probably be best spent with more specific exercises, throws, different weighted shots etc.
    Same as a sprinter who is relatively weak, getting the squat up might carry over to acceleration. But it will reach a point of diminishing returns.

I agree that for a distance runner the benefits for lifting are minimal unless it is really to retrain gait cycle because force production will never really be a limiting factor. But I would not have expertise to recognise those issues and implement a corrective.

In all of this the lifting would be accessory. At least 80% of training time should be doing the sport or drills related to the sport.

For the questions directed at me, I don't have a clue! I just read bits and pieces, have a little experience running and some experience lifting.

For multiplaner movement I would say it should be addressed in drills, warm ups, cooldowns, play, where there is running, changing direction etc. I don't know if it needs to be addressed specifically?

Not really sure about the anterior/posterior slings, is this is reference to fascia?
    I don't know about weight distribution either. In running both legs will bear 100% bodyweight each stride but it seems to be common for the stride off one leg to be longer than off the other. What that means probably needs to be looked at on each individual, mobility, anatomy, force production, ground contact etc.

I am interested, could you give an example of a gait issue and gait specific exercise? I think it would help people on the forum. We are bombarded with running specific/sport specific stuff all over the internet. I am not sure what people mean when they say specific. Is it joint angle specific, contraction time specific, plane specific, etc

Good post I agree with basically everything and am picking up new info, thanks.
    On the exercises I mentioned, nordics, eccentric rdls, or calf raises. They would be included for a specific purpose, to produce a growth/corrective remodelling of the tendon tissue. In controlled eccentric overloading there is research that shows the growth of new tendon tissue is better aligned, which is useful for people suffering tendonitis. Running (or other faster contraction exercises) also stimulates the tendon but the regrowth is more likely to be disorganised, which is a problem for people prone to Achilles problems. These eccentrics are not to directly translate to running but might make someone more resilient to injury.

You are of course correct to say that some of the above will produce growth in tendons and this has to be a good thing, but ONLY if the muscle attached to the tendon is 1, doing the job it's should be doing 2, that its not overworking or compensating for another muscle.
    The question is why is the a problem in the 1st place. If you take high hamstring tendinopthy a very common reason for this happening is lack of glute function. The proximal fibers of the hamstring can act has a hip extender.
    Another reason can be form Anterior pelvic tilt. We see this a lot in Gaa players who struggle with hamstring issues.

Apart from looking for specific physical adaptions like the above I don't know if a distance runner needs to lift weights at all.
    Again I think you are aware of my views on this
    I do come back to specificity and what is specific.
    Someone might do hops as a plyometric type exercise.
    Hops on one leg might seem more specific, and it is for stabilizing and landing mechanics. But two legged might be more specific relative to ground conact time and forces.

The problem with doing plyometric type exercise is that in general they will develop existing muscles and moving patterns and don't change the existing way of moving. So to take the above example of a person that has inhibited glute and is using the hamstring to compensate, they will still use their hamstring to do the movement.

With respect to youths and beginners I am thinking from a throws/sprint perspective. If you have a young shotputter who only benches 100kg and he gets that to 150, it will probably carry over very well to his throws. Going from 150 to 200 might take twice as much effort in the gym and have half the carry over. This time would probably be best spent with more specific exercises, throws, different weighted shots etc.

As these are power event's they will of course benefit from having increased strength. But they would also benefit from incorporating their movement system. The arm doesn't move independent of the shoulder, torso or legs while preforming the throw.

Same as a sprinter who is relatively weak, getting the squat up might carry over to acceleration. But it will reach a point of diminishing returns.
    I agree that for a distance runner the benefits for lifting are minimal unless it is really to retrain gait cycle because force production will never really be a limiting factor. But I would not have expertise to recognise those issues and implement a corrective.

Does/ can lifting retrain gait?. I haven't seen anything to say it can.
    I did come across this study which showed no changes in gait
    " The data presented in this study
    suggest that strengthening alone
    may be insufficient to alter abnormal movement patterns of the lower extremities during running. Despite large
    and significant gains in the strength of
    the hip abductors and hip external rotators, no changes were seen in abnormal hip mechanics during running"
    https://www.jospt.org/doi/pdf/10.2519/jospt.2011.3470

I have to also point out that a lot of these type of studies aren't great as they can not take into account the many variable's of gait.
    Even if you take 8 people on the start line of the 100m final say out of the 8, 4 are 6 foot tall, of them some might have inside leg of 31" some 32" some 33", so everyone will have their individual anomalies.
    In all of this the lifting would be accessory. At least 80% of training time should be doing the sport or drills related to the sport.

Agreed and probably more.

For the questions directed at me, I don't have a clue! I just read bits and pieces, have a little experience running and some experience lifting.
    For multiplaner movement I would say it should be addressed in drills, warm ups, cooldowns, play, where there is running, changing direction etc.
    The answer is similar to recruitment of muscles I mentioned earlier, but it is a step in the right direction.
    I don't know if it needs to be addressed specifically?
    Of course I would say it should be ;)
    Not really sure about the anterior/posterior slings, is this is reference to fascia?
    Anyone with a background in Physio, Physical, NMT S&C etc will have some knowledge of POS/AOS systems but the vast majority will look past it and concentrate on specific muscle group's in isolation.
    It would be well worth your while to look up the work of Tom Myers Anatomy Trains.
    I am interested, could you give an example of a gait issue and gait specific exercise? I think it would help people on the forum. We are bombarded with running specific/sport specific stuff all over the internet. I am not sure what people mean when they say specific. Is it joint angle specific, contraction time specific, plane specific, etc

I'll get back to you on this when i have more time;)

Advertisement