Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

De-registering car

Options
  • 27-01-2020 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

I'm moving to the Netherlands and I will be exporting vehicle I've previously imported to Ireland. I will import it to the Netherlands.

I've read through few threads and there seems to be no such thing as "deregistration" of vehicle in Ireland other than in exceptional circumstances.
    When I imported car here I've paid Import VRT and after doing that I needed to deregister car in the country of origin, in this case in Croatia.
    So, in Croatia (and I think other countries in EU, but not 100% sure on this) if you export car you need to deregister it, meaning you need proof that car passed NCT, vehicle registration certificate and you need to return old license plates.

From what I was reading in the threads and on revenue website I can just take car and leave the country basically, no need to return plates etc.?

I'm planning on claiming VRT Export Repayment Scheme and after that I will have 30 days to export car and send proof of import to revenue.

So that's all clear but if I didn't go the route of going to NCT for export claim, I wouldn't need to do anything, I could just leave country with car? Is that correct?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Correct you just register it in the new country and claim back the VRT. The registration number remains on the systems here and if you or someone else were ever to bring the car back to Ireland you’d be issued with the same registration number again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mateonboard

Correct you just register it in the new country and claim back the VRT. The registration number remains on the systems here and if you or someone else were ever to bring the car back to Ireland you’d be issued with the same registration number again.

Thanks for quick reply Cee-Jay-Cee, just wanted to double-check, better safe than sorry.

Didn't know about the registration number staying the same if a car is imported again, that is actually a good idea.

Advertisement