Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working from Home

Options
  • 26-01-2020 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭

I have the capability to work remotely so I am considering leaving Dublin in order to be able to buy my own house.

Financially, it’s hard to argue with the numbers but something that’s putting me off is the thought of being so isolated. I work in an office of 60 people so being in a room alone all day long would be a huge change.

Has anyone done similar got advice/tips to make it work?

Comments

To work from home you need a computer (possibly with camera) and a phone, plus good broadband. An office would be nice, but not 100% necessary. So, that's most of us.

It's the availability of a suitable role that's the limiting factor or are you sorted for that?

A lot of working from home roles require some time in the office - e.g. monthly meeting - so not totally isolated.

For me it's the distractions that can get in the way... 'Can you collect me seeing as you're around'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

To work from home you need a computer (possibly with camera) and a phone, plus good broadband. An office would be nice, but not 100% necessary. So, that's most of us.

Unless you live alone, many companies require a separate lockable office which you commit to using for work and not allowing other members of the household in to.

OP, investigate co-working spaces in your target area.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It's the availability of a suitable role that's the limiting factor or are you sorted for that?

A lot of working from home roles require some time in the office - e.g. monthly meeting - so not totally isolated.

For me it's the distractions that can get in the way... 'Can you collect me seeing as you're around'.
    Yes obviously I would need to invest in a proper set up and probably turn the smallest room into an office.

I know there are some people doing it already but I haven’t officially asked yet. Desk space is at a premium so it’s encouraged

Would aim to go to the office occasionally, maybe stay in an Airbnb for a few nights every month but would still have long periods at home

Unless you live alone, many companies require a separate lockable office which you commit to using for work and not allowing other members of the household in to.

Possibly multinationals, but I've never come across this restriction. I currently work partially at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Hi. My current role I work 90% from home, last role 100% and previous to that 50n50.
    And yes the change from being in an office can be big. I spent 7 years surrounded by 200 people, lots of buzz etc. but you also have to focus on the positives. No commute, wear what i want, bring the dog for a quick walk on my morning break, cook my own lunch etc.
    Video calls are good to see people's faces and honestly when in do go to the office now and throw on the suit jacket, it's kind of a novelty and I enjoy it more.
    Anyway, I have plenty experience working remote so ask any questions. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭wmahcm

This is bollocks OP. Most of the employers I've come across don't have any such requirements. Specific requirements can vary greatly. But if you don't like lone working and are not self motivating, it may not be for you. One of the main benefits of working from home is not having to waste valuable company time and money on office politics and the bollocks that goes on in a lot of offices.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Most of my colleagues work from home at least 1 day a week. Everyone has a laptop in my office so it's really easy to logon to the VPN and work as normal. Basically good broadband is all that's required.

My problem is, I find it far more stressful as I don't like leaving the laptop for a minute in case I'm needed. When I'm in the office I feel I have more freedom.

My work is quite self directed so I don’t really need anyone to help me.
    Everything is stored on my laptop so I wouldn’t have any confidential information in a hard copy at home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's a pretty big shift, unless you are a software/admin type who really likes his/her own space then it can start to feel stifling after a while. If you're one of those people who complains about meetings in the office it might suit, if you're one who sees them as a good way to pass the time/share ideas then maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Oh, another thing I remembered is the idea that you don't have to actually be in your house all the time
    I know people that will schedule a couple hours to catch up on email and then head to a coffee shop with the laptop. I usually bring my wife for breakfast once every couple weeks and have the laptop on in case anything urgent comes up but I'm usually good for an hour and then catch up later in the day.
    Another thing to factor is ending your days. You need a firm check off point otherwise you will find yourself working while you are having dinner. If you plan to finish at 5 the stop at 5, log off everything and maybe go for a 5 minute walk and come back home fresh for the evening, no more work. Working from home can actually result in doing more work, not less.

• Advertisement

Plenty of co working spaces now you can use a few days a week for a very reasonable fee. That's what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I worked from home for years when I worked with co-worker in India, Australia, US, etc

My experiences were all good except for some small things
    Instead of going over to someone and look at the same screen you had to set up a screen-share call.
    Speaking to people on the phone with foreign accents can be more difficult when you can't see their face.
    There were a LOT of mail tennis before an issue was sorted, something that would have take 15 mins face to face.

In all, it's worth a shot

biko wrote: »
    I worked from home for years when I worked with co-worker in India, Australia, US, etc

My experiences were all good except for some small things
    Instead of going over to someone and look at the same screen you had to set up a screen-share call.
    Speaking to people on the phone with foreign accents can be more difficult when you can't see their face.
    There were a LOT of mail tennis before an issue was sorted, something that would have take 15 mins face to face.

In all, it's worth a shot
    We have a video conferencing facility so that should deal with these issues. What I do is essentially remote engagement with clients so once I have the necessary facilities I can technically speaking work anywhere. We have various mediums where we can collaborate also.
    It’s more the social isolation that’s concerning me but coworking space could be the answer. I’ll have to investigate if there’s one near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

I work from home one day a week, personally I wouldn't want to do it much more than that as we have good office banter etc and while I get more work done when at home it's not the same - if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Be disciplined about your working hours. While you have flexibility available use it sparingly until you are on top of your hours.

Consider a false commute. Works for some.

Biggest tip from career coaches for over ~75% remote, is that your goal should be to impress your boss(es). This is not about fawning or flattery aka licking behinds, but about getting your tasks and goals done in good order and communicating that effectively. Your performance could be much more based on hard metrics like PKIs as you are not around the office.

Communicate, communicate, communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

tedpan wrote:
    My problem is, I find it far more stressful as I don't like leaving the laptop for a minute in case I'm needed. When I'm in the office I feel I have more freedom.

This. I do one day a week from home and I feel like I need to prove I'm not on a doss. I do much more and am on constant watch if someone is trying to reach me over various channels. Also in my team there is a lot of information shared verbally every day and each day is different. Impossible to keep up when I'm at home. Every environment is different though so it might work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭dubrov

Every place I have worked have spent thousands on video conferencing facilities but I have never seen then used. I think people are a bit uncomfortable with the idea.

Just try out one day a week working from where you are living now. You'll know quick enough if it's for you

• Registered Users Posts: 28,594 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Gael23 wrote: »
    We have a video conferencing facility so that should deal with these issues. .
    Domestic wifi may not give you bandwidth that you need for corporate video conferencing. Plan for a wired connection to your broadband router if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I have the capability to work remotely so I am considering leaving Dublin in order to be able to buy my own house.

Financially, it’s hard to argue with the numbers but something that’s putting me off is the thought of being so isolated. I work in an office of 60 people so being in a room alone all day long would be a huge change.

Has anyone done similar got advice/tips to make it work?

I'd say a lot depends on your personality, where you are on the range from extrovert to introvert. For some people, they'd jump at the chance to not be be daily in an office of 60 people. For others it'd be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

It will also heavily depend on whether your colleagues are capable of working with someone remote.

Even with the best equipment in the world, and the best intentions from yourself, if your colleagues refuse to engage with you as a remote worker or if they prefer face-to-face contact, you’ll find yourself phased out.

Important information will be communicated verbally to your teammates with the expectations that it’ll be passed on to you (it won’t). And you won’t be contacted to handle emergencies or time sensitive issues (but you’ll still get the blame for them). Similarly, if there are important group meetings and you or they are having technical difficulties, they will decide to have the meeting without you and you will be left out of the loop. Or worse, they’ll genuinely just forget to dial you into meetings and you’ll start to feel like you are being purposely left out. Worst of all, you get left out of important decisions which you should be involved in and they end up getting made by someone else and your career starts to get affected by it.

These are all worst case scenarios but all of which I’ve gone through. I’ve also had great companies where remote working is as normal as in-office and it’s great to have the flexibility. But the culture has to be adopted by every single person in the company for it to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Why would you need a lockable office?

I work from home, maybe 80% of the time. Part of WW company and I can be on a Webex with people in 5-6 different countries and everyone will be sitting at home. We have no requirement to have a lockable room. We do need proper BB etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

To answer the OP question it’s best to set up an area for work. Then you can leave it at the end of day and work is done. Otherwise I found I was working longer hours when I had no “office space” in the house

Now I go into it, work and then close the door at end of work. Your finished and done

Working from home makes sense as the hours wasted driving to/from work is lost time, I find I get more done at home but still go to office every so often to keep communication etc with ithers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Possibly multinationals, but I've never come across this restriction. I currently work partially at home.

I work in a multinational and work from home 2 days a week, and there’s no requirement for that either.

I have an office but tend to work at the kitchen table more than the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

wmahcm wrote: »
    One of the main benefits of working from home is not having to waste valuable company time and money on office politics and the bollocks that goes on in a lot of offices.

I wish it was true but it's not. The medium might change but people are still people. It can be even worse remotely - in a real office you can make up an excuse and walk away, but it's much harder to drop out of an awkward call. Politics just move online.

I work in a multinational and work from home 2 days a week, and there’s no requirement for that either.

I have an office but tend to work at the kitchen table more than the office.

I'm not familiar with the locking room requirement either, but in the several companies I know the remote policies of you were required to have proper ergonomic desk/chair/screens setup, for health and safety basically. Up to and including random inspections (although I have never seen it actually happen, just a CYA clause I suppose).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

strandroad wrote: »
    Up to and including random inspections (although I have never seen it actually happen, just a CYA clause I suppose).
    Lovely...where do I sign up for that please? Considering the Guards cannot enter your house without a valid warrant (although Customs can), this is a massive signing away of your civil liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yes obviously I would need to invest in a proper set up and probably turn the smallest room into an office.

I know there are some people doing it already but I haven’t officially asked yet. Desk space is at a premium so it’s encouraged

Would aim to go to the office occasionally, maybe stay in an Airbnb for a few nights every month but would still have long periods at home

Could be a tight squeeze. :D

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/324150.html

Lovely...where do I sign up for that please? Considering the Guards cannot enter your house without a valid warrant (although Customs can), this is a massive signing away of your civil liberties.

You can always work from the office, or you can work for a company who doesn't mind you working at a kitchen table! Only some companies will be stricter, most likely to protect themselves against any extended leave or even litigation should the employee develop a condition due to poor home workstation ergonomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

strandroad wrote: »
    most likely to protect themselves against any extended leave or even litigation should the employee develop a condition due to poor home workstation ergonomics.
    Well, get them to sign a disclaimer first, or provide ergonomic-training. Far better than giving a company the rights to spot-check your house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

I presume this is for some sort of phone support job? Most jobs that allow you to work from home certainly won't require this kind of thing.

Advertisement