Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working from Home

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

€30 a day twice a week by 48 weeks comes to approx €5.7k per annum in Gross income terms (excluding travel costs). Now, you might get a long term discount on the €30 rate. Expensive to my mind when working from home would be zero in comparison.

€2,880 ????? It's an expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,784 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TheBlock wrote: »

Employees cannot expense things without agreement.

TheBlock wrote: »

He said he's likely to pay himself, so will be paying out of after tax income.

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's probably more aimed at contractors and the self-employed who can write it off against tax.

True, but they'll happily take the OP's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Can't believe no one has mentioned the possibility of the op losing their job. Now op is living ruraly where is the next job going to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You could learn Vue.js.

There's a great book - Full Stack Vue.js

Learn that and Javascript.

You will be able to find Vue jobs from your home.

But of course, it's likely you won't like programming or won't be able to do it, but worth a look I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Unless you live alone, many companies require a separate lockable office which you commit to using for work and not allowing other members of the household in to.

OP, investigate co-working spaces in your target area.

Where did you get this from? First I’ve heard of it and I’ve work for multinationals for the last 10 years and always had ability to work remote. My wife is an accountant and same for her. Just need a laptop headset and a decent internet connection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

heroics wrote: »
    Where did you get this from? First I’ve heard of it and I’ve work for multinationals for the last 10 years and always had ability to work remote. My wife is an accountant and same for her. Just need a laptop headset and a decent internet connection
    Did you even read the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I worked from home for a year and hated it for a number of reasons

1. I found it very isolating - my gf worked in a public facing role so after work she needed a while to relax and wind down. I on the other hand would be sitting at home with low casual social interaction and was like an excited puppy when she came home. Caused a bit of strain I think (she is my wife now so it all worked out).

2. I found it very hard to build up a rapport with the team, who were also all remote. I like going for coffee in work and shooting the breeze with people about work stuff or just "any plans for the weekend" type chit-chat and found it difficult to transition to doing that while working from home. There is a lot of value in building those kind of relationships from a career perspective I think, so you might need to be careful that office based people aren't gaining a career advantage over you.

3. I had a separate office as well but still fell into the trap of tipping in to finish something off when I had some spare time, out side of work hours. This is prob a reflection of my own time-management skills however

4. I got bored of normal radio all the time, I started listening to podcasts which I couldn't really concentrate on, then I would sit in silence which drove me mad also. I then saw a meme about a guy working from home and a pigeon that landed on his window was his best friend. I laughed at that until I actually started looking out the window at birds and looking to see if they were familiar, then knew I had to make a change

5. Most of the team were based in the US, so naturally we only had a couple of hours overlap during work days. This led to some quiet mornings when you were waiting for some answers and there was a lull in work, or inevitably your work day stretched further into the evenings. I had one recurring call at 7pm, two days a week. I was told there was no obligation to join, but each time I skipped it I missed out on some vital information and ended up waiting until 3pm the following day to try catch up with the team.

Overall, I think that I personally didn't suit working from home for that length, and maybe my specific job had its challenges with the timezone aspect. I think 1, 2 or 3 days WFH might be the sweet spot and give the best of both worlds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

AulWan wrote: »
    Did you even read the thread?

?? After I replied to the first page. The poster is still insisting they are right though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

2. I found it very hard to build up a rapport with the team, who were also all remote. I like going for coffee in work and shooting the breeze with people about work stuff or just "any plans for the weekend" type chit-chat and found it difficult to transition to doing that while working from home. There is a lot of value in building those kind of relationships from a career perspective I think, so you might need to be careful that office based people aren't gaining a career advantage over you.

This is quite an interesting point, as is an earlier post about how the rest of the team perceive remote workers.

We have recently hired a guy who works remotely with the intention of being in the office once or twice a week but in practice it's been a lot less - I think I've seen him twice since the New Year. Generally speaking we don't have a WFH policy, with a couple of people doing it "the odd time" but not rigidly. I've been on a project with this guy and it's stark obvious every time I call / Skype that he wants to have a chat and get to know people. Problem is he seems to always call in at unfortunate times when I've a tonne on, and it's frustrating the hell out of me making so much small talk with him!! If he was in the office, it'd be done over the coffee machine and over in 2 minutes...... But I feel for him at the same time!

Completely irrelevant if you hate small talk / office banter (which I know a lot do) - but for me, I genuinely get along with most people in a relatively small office, so it's an enjoyable part of my day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

heroics wrote: »
    ?? After I replied to the first page. The poster is still insisting they are right though

The point has been addressed several times. Which you'd know if you'd actually read the other replies to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Can't believe no one has mentioned the possibility of the op losing their job. Now op is living ruraly where is the next job going to be?

Came here to say this. Or in a few years you wanna change jobs and you’re limited by either local roles or remote roles - it’s all fine if you’ve worked with a team for a few years but starting anew from remote is definitely a consideration to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭skallywag

...it’s all fine if you’ve worked with a team for a few years but starting anew from remote is definitely a consideration to make.

That is a very valid point. Making a fresh start at a new company and jumping into full on remote work is not something I would ever fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I work from home about 3 days a week. I have to be at work 2 specific days whee I do consultation on physical hardware. In my box room I have 2 screens and laptop screen open for extended desktop. I also have a cheap home printer- scanner. We talk through Microsoft Voice on headset. My colleagues can message me or video call me on MS Teams. All this is on an office desk I purchased in Atlantic Homecare.
    I very rarely use paper but the odd time I have to sign off stuff; hence the scanner. I am far more productive at home because there are less interceptions from walk ups. I do finish on time but tend to take shorter breaks. I make breakfast and eat it reading emails. I have a bowel of fruit at my desk.
    I don't have to iron as many shirts and I save on diesel.
    I miss the coffee breaks with my colleagues. The house is quiet.
    I also go to the gym before work when I have to go in as it's near work so I miss that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Came here to say this. Or in a few years you wanna change jobs and you’re limited by either local roles or remote roles - it’s all fine if you’ve worked with a team for a few years but starting anew from remote is definitely a consideration to make.

I think it really depends on the company - if they are used to having people working remotely and how they manage it to build up a team rapport. In the company I currently work for, I would say at least 60% of staff are remote - either working from home or at customer sites on a project. I haven't been in the actual office since about September between working from home four days a week & going to a customer site one day a week. But there is still a sense of being part of a team. As I said before, communication is key - I speak with my colleagues and boss pretty much every day. The company are also really good at organising social events to help people meet up. This weekend, for example, we have our Christmas Party & I would say 90% of the company will go to it.

Advertisement