Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

1191192193194195197»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The person making the claim that it is about Brexit needs to substiate this. In the press coverage I've seen even in the Guardian it seems to be about their owners wanting to save £2.5bn in costs for electric cars.

Can you back up your claim?

I didn't make a claim. I just don't buy that Brexit is not playing a role in the decision-making processes of large employers.

Incidentally, you never provided a single specific and tangible benefit of Brexit to the working classes of this country.
    Why is there economic uncertainty? The three and a half years of dithering in parliament by hard remainers which you avidly supported.

That time could have been used to negotiate trade terms with the EU.

In other news Sajid Javid said the UK will not needlessly diverge from the EU rule book unless there is good reason to do so.

I like the last statement. The UK should have high standards because it wants them for British people not because the EU demand it of them.

I agree with this approach. Alignment where it is helpful and divergence when it isn't. Perhaps that makes me softer on the Brexit spectrum but it is important to think carefully about the negotiations ahead first before deviating too much.

Are Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg remainers? They voted against the original Withdrawal bill as well. Why only blame the democratically elected remain side?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

I didn't make a claim. I just don't buy that Brexit is not playing a role in the decision-making processes of large employers.

Incidentally, you never provided a single specific and tangible benefit of Brexit to the working classes of this country.

I've posted several on this thread already.

Back to Jaguar Land Rover. It isn't reasonable to speculate that it could be because of Brexit when it was provided in a program of cutbacks for funding development of electric vehicles.

The 500 job cuts come as a plan to cut 4,500 jobs globally. That figure is courtesy of the BBC. I guess the other 4,000 job losses are because of Brexit too?

Empty assumptions are empty assumptions.
    Are Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg remainers? They voted against the original Withdrawal bill as well. Why only blame the democratically elected remain side?

I've got nothing to add on top of this post.

You avidly supported all of these time wasting shenanigans over in the other forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Empty assumptions are empty assumptions.

This cuts both ways I'm afraid.
    I've got nothing to add on top of this post.

You avidly supported all of these time wasting shenanigans over in the other forum.

So did the ERG but they get a pass. And don't give me this concern for the Union. Time has shown how hollow that facade was.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ian Dunt is another top-notch Brexit commentator, along with Chris Grey and our own Tony Connelly. Even if I was an ardent Brexiter, such as our Brexit Bros on here, I think this would stop me in my tracks. This is just devastating. And, if you actually read it all, kids, it lays it all out. Just how incompetent these people really are. They. Have.No. Clue.

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/01/23/brexit-2020-everything-you-need-to-know-about-johnson-s-trad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

davedanon wrote: »
    Ian Dunt is another top-notch Brexit commentator, along with Chris Grey and our own Tony Connelly. Even if I was an ardent Brexiter, such as our Brexit Bros on here, I think this would stop me in my tracks. This is just devastating. And, if you actually read it all, kids, it lays it all out. Just how incompetent these people really are. They. Have.No. Clue.

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/01/23/brexit-2020-everything-you-need-to-know-about-johnson-s-trad

I have learned a good while back that anyone who feels the need to make strong introductions to the commentators credentials in their links to over labour a point that they like is normally not a credible person.

Jumped-up baldy. Editor of http://Politics.co.uk. Host on
    RemainiacsCast
    . Author of Brexit: What The Hell Happens Now? New book, How To Be A Liberal, comes out 2020.
    Twitter Bio, searchs on him also bring up James O'Brien of LBC a lot. Do you know what that means? what it says? about both your refering to these people as top notch?

Get back on the tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I have learned a good while back that anyone who feels the need to make strong introductions to the commentators credentials in their links to over labour a point that they like is normally not a credible person.

".....I'm afraid to read this in case it destroys my worldview which I am determined to cling to in spite of all evidence to the contrary."

Fixed that for you!

".....I'm afraid to read this in case it destroys my worldview which I am determined to cling to in spite of all evidence to the contrary."

Fixed that for you!

Ian Dunt, Guardian blogger, former pinknews writer who spent most of his career writing for the eroticreview has only recently reinvented himself as a political editor for this website.

Hardly a seasoned journalist with inside knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Jumped-up baldy. Editor of http://Politics.co.uk. Host on
    RemainiacsCast
    . Author of Brexit: What The Hell Happens Now? New book, How To Be A Liberal, comes out 2020.
    Twitter Bio, searchs on him also bring up James O'Brien of LBC a lot. Do you know what that means? what it says? about both your refering to these people as top notch?

Get back on the tracks

It can be an appeal to authority.

However, IMO it is a far more grevious sin to post (copy-paste) unattributed articles or other content and make the reader play back-search to find out where they come from.

It's a good thing you don't do that sort of thing here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

That's excellent. Except the bit where Ireland is a tax haven. But it's still excellent.

• Advertisement

I don't particularly like the style of the article in that question format but it is effective. My understanding of a couple of things is better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Interesting that you ignore that most of the house who opposed it weren't the ERG. More importantly you also ignore the ridiculous shenanigans of forcing extensions and holding the government to ransom with the Fixed Term Parliament Act because they were too chicken to have an election until the Lib Dems put pressure on them.

Emily Thornberry still says having an election was a bad idea!

How forgetful you are.
    Et tu. Remember the 2017 election? Were most of the MP's elected then Hard Remainers? Like the DUP who were in government? ERG?

Your original statement was to blame the stalemate on the 'hard remainers.' Nothing could be further from the truth - the government you elected, had 3 chances to ratify a WA and failed each time, usually by huge majorities. So, *leavers* voted against the WA each time.

If anything, voting against the WA was bipartisan politics at its best for the UK. That's gone for now.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Et tu. Remember the 2017 election? Were most of the MP's elected then Hard Remainers? Like the DUP who were in government? ERG?

Your original statement was to blame the stalemate on the 'hard remainers.' Nothing could be further from the truth - the government you elected, had 3 chances to ratify a WA and failed each time, usually by huge majorities. So, *leavers* voted against the WA each time.

If anything, voting against the WA was bipartisan politics at its best for the UK. That's gone for now.

UK IS GONE NOW, SUCK IT UP

The last parliament was a disgrace and full of liars who stood on a manifesto to see brexit through and once in they tried public to stop it. Anna Subry etc, they were all on record saying they would do it and then become poison. The blow back has been huge and made brexit even harder. Idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

UK IS GONE NOW, SUCK IT UP

Gone?

Really?

There I was thinking they'll be in the EU at least until the end of the year. Anyone taking bets on whether they'll ask for an extension on the transition?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Gone?

Really?

There I was thinking they'll be in the EU at least until the end of the year. Anyone taking bets on whether they'll ask for an extension on the transition?
    Your British boyfriend has publicly dumped you. If you need counselling I suggest you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

blinding wrote: »
    Your British boyfriend has publicly dumped you. If you need counselling I suggest you get it.

The ex is now trying to negotiate an open relationship with everyone they know while standing on the street with their clothes in a plastic bag, and its starting to rain.

• Advertisement

My British girlfriend didn't know how good she had it. She's now walking the street, flaunting herself to anyone with money, hoping they'll pick her up.

Her friends Scotland and NI are looking to ditch her and get back with me.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    The ex is now trying to negotiate an open relationship with everyone they know while standing on the street with their clothes in a plastic bag, and its starting to rain.
    They are more than Democratically happy with their decision. Love democracy, it is the only thing that wants you to be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

They are more than Democratically happy with their decision.

Except Scotland, and NI...

They are more than Democratically happy with their decision. Love democracy, it is the only thing that wants you to be free.

And will you fully support Scotland and NI I they democratically decide to leave Britain and rejoin?

Would you support Britain in a second referendum?

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    And will you fully support Scotland and NI I they democratically decide to leave Britain and rejoin?

Would you support Britain in a second referendum?
    Surely Northern Ireland and Scotland will have no problem getting 50%+1 to leave the United Kingdom . I am sure I have made it absolutely clear how much in favour of Democracy I am.

Britain as a whole have made it clear that they want to leave the Eu. = Bye Bye Eu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: 10k post limit approaching. New thread is here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement