Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meghan & Harry: WE QUIT

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I don't think that is fair in any sane world. You are grossly exaggerating someone's viewpoint, and it is disingenuous and deliberately trying to discredit their opinion.

Oh no! I guess it does seem unfair to deliberately exaggerate someone else's actions in a disingenuous way... hmm... where else should that same courtesy apply... why are we talking about avocados again? LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ah lads, wallpaper in a bathroom?

And what, no toilet roll covers? :P

Ah no, that's not wallpaper. That is a bathroom fully tiled in the ubiquitous 1970's bathroom tile. Most of us just had a few above the basin and bath but this bathroom is the height of 70's sophistication!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Ah no, that's not wallpaper. That is a bathroom fully tiled in the ubiquitous 1970's bathroom tile. Most of us just had a few above the basin and bath but this bathroom is the height of 70's sophistication!

A bathroom I can only aspire to owning one day :D

A bathroom I can only aspire to owning one day :D

You can really showcase your sophistication to your fondue evening guests by offsetting that beautiful avocado shade with candy pink, fluffy toilet seat cover, bath mat and pedestal surround. I believe it's the look Meg and Hars are rocking in their en suite (unheard of in the 70's - the poshos with wash basins in the bedrooms were obviously over concerned with personal hygiene and had notions )

• Registered Users Posts: 19,730 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My parents built a house in the early 70's and avocado was used. I managed to survive.

I think Meghan's got slightly more elevated decor aspirations.

Copper-bath.jpg

I came across a most fantastic example of the media beat-up being aimd at them:
    NO HEIRS AND GRACES The Queen pays for £500k Sandringham repairs ‘with her own cash’ after Meghan Markle and Harry’s £2.4m Frogmore upgrade paid for by taxpayers

The Queen got £76 M in 2017 from the taxpayer as her annual allowance. Saying she spends money out of her own pocket is deceitful.

Where's the headline bitching about the £4.5 M spent to refurbish Kensington Palace for Wills and Kate, by the suffering taxpayers, while the Queen pays for a packet of mints out of her own pocket?

• Advertisement

I'd prefer the avocado suite to that polished copper, TBH. It doesn't look very inviting or even comfortable. At least the avocado provokes nostalgic feels of Saturday night baths with my bottle of Matey bubble bath and rubber duckey and then getting dried and dressed in front of the fire afterwards, putting on nice clean jammies that had been warming by the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Apparently the new Meghan and Harry postage stamp isn't sticking to letters very well... People are spitting on the wrong side

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I'd prefer the avocado suite to that polished copper, TBH. It doesn't look very inviting or even comfortable. At least the avocado provokes nostalgic feels of Saturday night baths with my bottle of Matey bubble bath and rubber duckey and then getting dried and dressed in front of the fire afterwards, putting on nice clean jammies that had been warming by the fire.

I think the copper looks better. Ironically it would probably contrast nicely with avocado, though a darker forest green would be preferable. I certainly wouldn't want to be polishing such a thing, the siverware is enough of a chore. It looks no less comfortable than any other bath of the same size and shape. It could be polished aluminium or solid gold, and the comfort would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

cnocbui wrote: »
    My parents built a house in the early 70's and avocado was used. I managed to survive.

Copper-bath.jpg

I came across a most fantastic example of the media beat-up being aimd at them:

The Queen got £76 M in 2017 from the taxpayer as her annual allowance. Saying she spends money out of her own pocket is deceitful.

Where's the headline bitching about the £4.5 M spent to refurbish Kensington Palace for Wills and Kate, by the suffering taxpayers, while the Queen pays for a packet of mints out of her own pocket?

The thing that the press were most annoyed about when the cost of renovating Frogmore Cottage was revealed was the fact that Harry and Meghan had already spent around £1.4 million renovating their previous home beside William and Kate. They then decided to move away and renovate Frogmore Cottage, many believing it was mainly because they didn't get along with their neighbours anymore. The official explanation was apparently that their 21-room residence wasn't suitable for their growing family.

There were also articles questioning the renovations William and Kate's renovations, that was in 2013 and 2014 so you may not remember the criticism as well as the recent questioning of H & M.

Now Harry and Meghan are moving again from their new luxury home. You can imagine this raises people's heckles.

To be fair, I think most people would take the trade-off of living in a series of luxury mansions with servants and nannies in return for some headlines criticising them for holding their baby bump and promoting avocados. Not everyone would be prepared to put up with it though I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    The thing that the press were most annoyed about when the cost of renovating Frogmore Cottage was revealed was the fact that Harry and Meghan had already spent around £1.4 million renovating their home beside William and Kate. They then decided to move away and renovate Frogmore Cottage, many believing it was mainly because they didn't get along with their neighbours anymore. The official explanation was apparently that their 21-room residence wasn't suitable for their growing family.

There were also articles questioning the renovations William and Kate's renovations, that was in 2013 and 2014 so you may not remember the criticism as well as the recent questioning of H & M.

Now Harry and Meghan are moving again from their new luxury home. You can imagine this raises people's heckles.

To be fair, I think most people would take the trade-off of living in a series of luxury mansions with servants and nannies in return for some headlines criticising them for holding their baby bump and promoting avocados. Not everyone would be prepared to put up with it though I suppose.

they are repaying the cost of the refurbishment to frogmore so what is there to raise your hackles about?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Copper-bath.jpg
    Could one get their leg over in that bath ?

they are repaying the cost of the refurbishment to frogmore so what is there to raise your hackles about?

The headlines used to compare the 'unfair treatment' were written before they offered to pay back the cash. It's still a mystery how and when they will pay this back. Hopefully they will be willing and able to pay it back, it would be the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The headlines used to compare the 'unfair treatment' were written before they offered to pay back the cash. It's still a mystery how and when they will pay this back. Hopefully they will be willing and able to pay it back, it would be the right thing to do.

what do you mean able to pay it back? Harry inherited a substantial sum from his mother and great-grandmother.

what do you mean able to pay it back? Harry inherited a substantial sum from his mother and great-grandmother.

As far as we know they have offered to pay it back but according to the press there's currently no mechanism that accommodates such an arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

As far as we know they have offered to pay it back but according to the press there's currently no mechanism that accommodates such an arrangement.

The press have a propensity to tell lies about them, so I'd take that with a pinch of sale.
    If they have publicly stated they'll repay the funds, the gutter press will be watching closely to ensure that happens. They'd only be frothing at the mouth at the opportunity to post that the promise wasn't followed through, and I can't imagine Meghan or Harry giving them the satisfaction.

The thing that the press were most annoyed about when the cost of renovating Frogmore Cottage was revealed was the fact that Harry and Meghan had already spent around £1.4 million renovating their previous home beside William and Kate. They then decided to move away and renovate Frogmore Cottage, many believing it was mainly because they didn't get along with their neighbours anymore. The official explanation was apparently that their 21-room residence wasn't suitable for their growing family.

Where do you get they lived in a 21 room residence? Nottingham Cottage only had 2 bedrooms.

Direct from the source:
    "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex chose to move to Windsor for various reasons. Their previous residence of Nottingham Cottage on the grounds of Kensington Palace could not accommodate their growing family. The option of Apartment 1 in Kensington Palace was estimated to cost in excess of £4 million for mandated renovations including the removal of asbestos," reads a statement from the funding section of the Sussexes' new website.

"This residence would not have been available for them to occupy until the fourth quarter of 2020. As a result, Her Majesty The Queen offered The Duke and Duchess the use of Frogmore Cottage, which was already undergoing mandated renovations, and would be available to move in before the birth of their son."

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Where do you get they lived in a 21 room residence? Nottingham Cottage only had 2 bedrooms.

Direct from the source:
    "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex chose to move to Windsor for various reasons. Their previous residence of Nottingham Cottage on the grounds of Kensington Palace could not accommodate their growing family. The option of Apartment 1 in Kensington Palace was estimated to cost in excess of £4 million for mandated renovations including the removal of asbestos," reads a statement from the funding section of the Sussexes' new website.

"This residence would not have been available for them to occupy until the fourth quarter of 2020. As a result, Her Majesty The Queen offered The Duke and Duchess the use of Frogmore Cottage, which was already undergoing mandated renovations, and would be available to move in before the birth of their son."

When people are outraged facts are irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

You write like you have a vested interest in how and when they pay it back. They’ve committed to doing it and we have no reason to disbelieve them.

Marketing experts have predicted they could soon be worth $400 M. Repaying for frogmore would be chump change. Their current net worth, according to some estimates, is around £30 M. Meghan had earned a small fortune of around $5 M via her acting career, even before meeting Harry.

The bottom line is there appears to be enough money available so casting aspersions that they won't pay it back is unwarranted.

• Advertisement

Direct from the source:

I didn't say Nottingham Cottage had 21 rooms, it has two bedrooms and some reception rooms, living rooms etc. They were offered another 21 room house beside William and Kate but went with renovating Frogmore Cottage instead. To do this the five separate homes would be converted into one giant home.

When people are outraged facts are irrelevant.

Try to get past the outrage then and look at the facts, rather than the misconceptions. See post above.

Try to get past the outrage then and look at the facts, rather than the misconceptions. See post above.

no outrage from me just bemusement at how invested in this you seem to be.

Direct from the source:

I think people should take all the papers are saying about these residences, with a sack of salt. One paper is complaining about money being wasted on refurbishing apartments at Kensington Palace that wouldn't be then used. It's horse manure. The repeating theme with the renovation of William and Kate's apartments and the Sussex's concern the roof. It's clear as day to me the roof of Kensington palace needed refurbishment, so that's what happened. The roof would have probably been done even if no one was earmarked to live in the second apartment. If the idea of the Sussex's moving to the apartment hadn't been floated, the papers would likely never have mentioned the roof over the apartment at Kensington palace, currently occupied by the Duke of Gloucester, was being renovated at taxpayers expense.

It's a national monument, you don't fix only half the roof if the whole thing needs work. The spin by the trash press in the UK is unbelievable. I can't fathom the stupidity of the people who lap this stuff up and can't see through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

You’ve got 62 posts on this site and all (or almost all) are on this thread.

Why the obsession?

KiKi III wrote: »
    You’ve got 62 posts on this site and all (or almost all) are on this thread.

Why the obsession?

I've contributed to eight different threads, this is the only once concerning the royal soap opera. People have engaged with the posts on this thread more than the others.

I think people should take all the papers are saying about these residences, with a sack of salt. One paper is complaining about money being wasted on refurbishing apartments at Kensington Palace that wouldn't be then used. It's horse manure. The repeating theme with the renovation of William and Kate's apartments and the Sussex's concern the roof. It's clear as day to me the roof of Kensington palace needed refurbishment, so that's what happened. The roof would have probably been done even if no one was earmarked to live in the second apartment. If the idea of the Sussex's moving to the apartment hadn't been floated, the papers would likely never have mentioned the roof over the apartment at Kensington palace, currently occupied by the Duke of Gloucester, was being renovated at taxpayers expense.

It's a national monument, you don't fix only half the roof if the whole thing needs work. The spin by the trash press in the UK is unbelievable. I can't fathom the stupidity of the people who lap this stuff up and can't see through it.

Converting five apartments in Frogmore into one giant house is not essential maintenance.

According to you the "facts" come from paparazzi trash articles. Did you actually type that with a straight face?

Converting five apartments in Frogmore into one giant house is not essential maintenance.

I didn't mention Frogmore, I was specifically talking about Kensington Palace and the roof work there.

• Advertisement

According to you the "facts" come from paparazzi trash articles. Did you actually type that with a straight face?

Have you and your amigos not been taking a Buzzfeed article as gospel for the last 20 pages. Frock my old boots. Buzzfeed.

I will consider something most reliable if it is reported across the mainstream press. Many royal correspondents have been doing it for years and years and won't risk their reputation on trash.

But then again, some people here seem to think their official PR website and Buzzfeed are the best available sources.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement