Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best transatlantic carrier

Options
  • 19-01-2020 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Recently I've only travelled aer lingus across the Atlantic. I'd gone off the American carriers years ago.

What's it like theses days. Is Aer lingus still the best ? (Seats, food etc) price doesn't matter.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Hi.

Recently I've only travelled aer lingus across the Atlantic. I'd gone off the American carriers years ago.

What's it like theses days. Is Aer lingus still the best ? (Seats, food etc) price doesn't matter.

Thanks.

I'd prefer United, Delta or American over Aer Lingus, you get free beer and wine and the rest of it is much of a muchness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you want free booze, anyone other than EI, that said likely a one free drink with meal is coming on EI this year.

If its direct then take direct to avoid the chaos and delay risk connecting at most major US airports (but do opt for EI-Jetblue if you have to make a connection, JetBlue by far the nicest US carrier and have free wifi)

If its a 757, 767 or a US Domestic 777 (10 across) fly with some else.

Delta have upped the game, assuming you get a decent modern aircraft they are good.

EI are decent but nothing special, you do get a nicer check in experience in Dublin where you don't have the stupid security interview/questions the US carriers insist on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

You'll probably get a host of contradicting responses to the question. For example I prefer United and will always pick them ahead of Delta or American. I outright refuse to fly Aer Lingus unless they are significantly cheaper. Too many bad experiences with them. But I know people who will only fly Aer Lingus across the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭EI321

Delta is consistently ranked the best US airline and has a higher standard of service in Economy than Aer Lingus. Its also the only one with unlimited drinks and has the best economy food I have seen across the atlantic from Dublin.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-best-and-worst-u-s-airlines-of-2019-11579097301

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Flew with Delta the last time I went transatlantic and a much better experience than any time I had flown with EI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

AA give you as much beer and wine as you want to drink, but Delta's planes are nicer. I personally would fly anyone but EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭NSAman

It depends on the “class” you are flying on as well.

I like Delta and Aer Lingus personally. American is a nightmare and one I would never use again.

United is pretty ordinary in my view.

I travel across the pond between 4 and 8 times a year and have tried them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭cson

1. DL (refreshed Y product - good food, free beer, you'll be on 2-4-2 A330s or 2-3-2 B767s
    2. AA (purely because they run A330 ops to Ireland mostly)
    3. EI (comfortable, usually pretty cheap however the volume of service is poor compared to the US3)
    4. UA (10 abreast 777s into DUB can get ****ed).

EI do have the best J product imo, though Polaris from UA (and particularly access to the Polaris Lounge) arguable beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

cson wrote: »

EI do have the best J product imo, though Polaris from UA (and particularly access to the Polaris Lounge) arguable beat it.

I'd agree EI have the best J product, if you're not connecting onto Jetblue of course. There's significant variation in J across fleets tho. Delta you get a nice intercontinental product on their 757 and a wholly outdated piece of crap on the 767.

I haven't flown UA recently in J, have they rolled the proper polaris product out? Previously it has been their intercon 777 product that isn't as wonderful as full on polaris; and I've found lounge access patchy given all the refurbs going on.

AA J in the 787 is good. Best ice-cream sundae :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

JetBlue business class connections should now book onto Mint where available

Mint is probably the best business (well first class) product in the US domestic market. Same seat as EI use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nijmegen wrote: »

I haven't flown UA recently in J, have they rolled the proper polaris product out? Previously it has been their intercon 777 product that isn't as wonderful as full on polaris; and I've found lounge access patchy given all the refurbs going on.

AA J in the 787 is good. Best ice-cream sundae :D

Think that 777 domestic only did the 2018 season to DUB, fairly certain its a 787-10 these days ex EWR/ORD) most of which should have Polaris fitted. The Polaris Lounge in EWR is open now too afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mx5ire

United are using a 787-10 and its very nice - but i have only flown it in business, i.e. Polaris. However, while the general tech experience on the 787 is nicer than an EI 330, better movies, electronic blinds, hands free taps in the loo etc, i find that while the seats are more private, they are also a little claustrophobic.

But in terms of service, bar the odd grumpy staff member, EI are usually comfortably ahead of UA and AA in terms of in flight service, the staff are just nicer. I have met far too many grumpy US staff on UA/AA. And EI Wifi is free, you pay on UA regardless of class.

The Newark Polaris lounge is very nice, miles ahead of the kip that EI use in Boston, and the vastly overrated EI JFK lounge.

Advertisement