Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it reasonable to ask the landlord to replace the couch and blinds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Steer55 wrote: »
    And people wonder why landlords are selling up and getting out. OP earning €1000 a week and he too mean to make his rented flat comfortable for himself.

So what would I have to be earning for it not be my responsibility to replace the furniture. If I quit my job and went on the dole would that qualify me

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    well i didnt do anything to the blind. i cant remember if it was like that or not when i moved in . if you dont believe me i dont care because it wont matter what i say

Calm dowm there. Go and ask the landlord nicely and report back on how it goes.

No point having the discussion until you've asked.

Is it reasonable for you to ask? Yes
    Does the landlord have to replace? No
    Will they replace? Maybe

The landlord could be loaded or could be broke. Could be generous or could be tight. We don't know.

Maybe suggest the blind be replaced this month and the couch be replaced over the next 2 months.

Don't ask, don't get.

Most importantly please post how it goes to help people that have the same issue in future..

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The landlord would need to replace that sofa if he is was looking to get a new tenant so you might as well ask.

In saying that, as mentioned, you can get free sofas on Facebook, Adverts etc all the time so it might be less hassle to just look there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

Ive been renting in my current apartment for 5 years. Its a bog standard 1 bed. I have been thinking of moving out because I feel the place is a bit drab. The Blinds are well worn and the couch is hideous. Am I entitled to ask the landlord replace these things. Ive been a very good tenant. Always paid rent on time and any odd job that needed to be done I paid it myself and took it out of the rent . The walls were badly in need of a painting before I moved in and I agreed to go halves with him. Attached is the blind in my room and the couch

Will you go wan and get out of the park

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Steer55 wrote: »
    And people wonder why landlords are selling up and getting out. OP earning €1000 a week and he too mean to make his rented flat comfortable for himself.

Hilarious....

Bit like my last rental there were pink sofas from the 80s worn out garbage....

A group of 5 came to inspect one day and the women sat down and were like oh aren't these so comfortable....
    Eh no they're absolute dirt.

After this I got my own put the others in the garage as they were fit for the skip and that's where they ended up when we left.

Tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dennyk

I've been in my place more than 10 years, and the sofa is similar material and nothing like that. What have you been doing to it? Also, how did the holes in the blinds get there - that isn't natural wear and tear.

The blind looks like some cheap plastic/vinyl thing; constant exposure to sunlight (especially if it gets direct sunlight) will turn that sort of material very brittle after a couple years, and eventually when it's being constantly rolled up and down on a daily basis, it just starts falling to bits. Same deal with the couch; the really ****ty fake leather will harden up after a while and then it just splits and cracks to pieces when it flexes every time someone sits down on it. Your couch might look similar, but it's probably made of better material; even if it's not real leather, there are different qualities of synthetic coverings, and some of the better ones can last for quite a while, while the cheaper ones can start falling apart within a matter of a year or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

OP do you mind me asking what % of the open market rent are you paying atm? Approx figure say 80-100%? 60-80% or less?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If the place is in a rent pressure zone then I doubt if a landlord wood be inclined to replace these. There is no incentive when the LL is prevented from increasing rent to put effort into improving the property.

There's no harm in asking and reminding the LL that it can be written against tax.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If the place is in a rent pressure zone then I doubt if a landlord wood be inclined to replace these. There is no incentive when the LL is prevented from increasing rent to put effort into improving the property.

There's no harm in asking and reminding the LL that it can be written against tax.

The landlord doesn't need an incentive. The OP is paying rent to cover things like this. He's paying rent for a furnished property and now some of the furniture is not fit for purpose.

This is just one of those things landlords have to do every now and again if they let furnished properties. Nothing lasts forever, especially not the cheapo stuff that landlords like to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

As someone who rents out multiple types of property for the last ~20 years, replacing fittings from wear and tear is a normal, budgeted, expected expense.

There;s no need to 'remind' the landlord about tax, and a landlord does not put up the rent every time a poxy 100 euro blind is replaced.

It is in everyones interest to keep housing stock in good repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

awec wrote: »
    I don't think your current rent is relevant tbh. The two items you've shown are no longer fit for purpose, if the landlord is in any way competent they will replace both. This is just one of the costs of being a landlord letting out furnished property.

Thats subjective. blinds with a few small holes do not make it not fit for purpose, yes aesthetically, it may not be as good as it once was but it still does the job. same for the couch.

Rent plays a big factor here. Hes not a good tenant, he is simply a tenant that pays on time. When he mentioned he did jobs AND subtracts from the rent again just means he is a normal tenant. Nothing really to make him better or worse here. If he is below market rate, calling him for this type of stuff will make him think, ok i spent 1k for all the work. I havent increase rent for x years and i want to recoup the extra money so lets increase it by 100e a month etc so in the end the tenant could loose out.

pwurple wrote: »
    Those are pretty bad. Yes, ask for a replacement. Landlords can write refurbishment off against tax, should be no objection.

It still costs the ll money and hassle so there can be objections. its not like hes paying nothing for it.

awec wrote: »
    The landlord doesn't need an incentive. The OP is paying rent to cover things like this. He's paying rent for a furnished property and now some of the furniture is not fit for purpose.

This is just one of those things landlords have to do every now and again if they let furnished properties. Nothing lasts forever, especially not the cheapo stuff that landlords like to use.

Actually yes he does need an incentive. Does the couch function albeit not very comfortably - yes. Does the blinds function yes.

Its an opportunity cost for the ll. Should he spend 1k to repair those things with an ROI of 0 on a depreciating asset or should he invest it somewhere else.

Fol20 wrote: »
    It still costs the ll money and hassle so there can be objections. its not like hes paying nothing for it.

A functioning landlord is well aware of wear and tear, and plans accordingly. Use the business account, where the rent is held.

What hassle? Two low hassle ways of doing this.

Hey tenant, pick out what you need and let me know how much it costs. If I approve, I'll order it and put your contact on the delivery notes.

OR

Hey management agent, pick out what's suitable and let me know how much it costs. Once I approve, order and arrange delivery please.

I should charge for this kind of advice! :D:D:D

A functioning landlord is well aware of wear and tear, and plans accordingly. Use the business account, where the rent is held.

Hey tenant, pick out what you need and let me know how much it costs. If I approve, I'll order it and put your contact on the delivery notes.

OR

Hey management agent, pick out what's suitable and let me know how much it costs. Once I approve, order and arrange delivery please.

Yes your right, it may not be too much hassle compared to other stuff but it still requires a visit to a furniture shop. I do not allow my tenants pick out this type of stuff as i prefer to see whats the best deal i can get.

Yes they are aware of wear and tear costs etc but im just saying not everything is set in stone and can be subjective. Depending on the type of rental the property is, low end or high end, this would dictate if i would accept to buy new stuff. If this was middle to low end, i wouldnt replace the the blinds. Depending on how comfortable i think the couches are, i might replace the couch.For middle to high, yes both need to be replaced. This is why if the tenant pays market rent comes into play.

OR

You are making the assumption the LL thinks like you. He may think the couch and blinds are fine and has no intention nor desire to spend money and it may jog his memory to up the rent. This is one possible outcome, there is no point pretending it’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can pick up a good blind in ikea. Couldn’t see the landlord having an issue with that.

Couch is a headache for him. I’d replace it but it be a cheap couch. I wouldn’t get the same type if her for my own house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

OP for the sake of a few quid and some well saved energy, I'd replace with your own and bring them with you when you move.

Landlords will replace with cheap ****e (because why would they want to spend a months rent (net) if they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

OP for the sake of a few quid and some well saved energy, I'd replace with your own and bring them with you when you move.

Landlords will replace with cheap ****e (because why would they want to spend a months rent (net) if they don't have to.

I hate the why would the want to spend a month's rent if they don't have to bull****. They're renting the property. Keep the damn thing in good nick. It's not like he's asking for new things every other month or year. Jesus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

the blind looks like its had a rucksack punched through it -and it looks like a blackout blind -expensive.If I was the ll I’d be asking how those holes got into it and deducting it from the depisit for sure.

The couch looks fairly knackered & Id say if the OP said his ladyfriends tights were gettjng snagged in the chapped & worn leather s/he might see sense and replace it for him. My friend down the road bought an outrageously expensive couch and it also went like this -he was livid!!!

I’d angle for the couch & to be there to help & open up when the new one is delivered etc.Just dont get stuck with the ild one being left there or you’ll have no space left!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

the blind looks like its had a rucksack punched through it -and it looks like a blackout blind -expensive.If I was the ll I’d be asking how those holes got into it and deducting it from the depisit for sure.

The couch looks fairly knackered & Id say if the OP said his ladyfriends tights were gettjng snagged in the chapped & worn leather s/he might see sense and replace it for him. My friend down the road bought an outrageously expensive couch and it also went like this -he was livid!!!

I’d angle for the couch & to be there to help & open up when the new one is delivered etc.Just dont get stuck with the ild one being left there or you’ll have no space left!!

well i didnt touch.the ****in blind. It was most likely like that when I moved in . I know for sure the walls werent in a great state so I had them painted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Ive been renting in my current apartment for 5 years. Its a bog standard 1 bed. I have been thinking of moving out because I feel the place is a bit drab. The Blinds are well worn and the couch is hideous. Am I entitled to ask the landlord replace these things. Ive been a very good tenant. Always paid rent on time and any odd job that needed to be done I paid it myself and took it out of the rent . The walls were badly in need of a painting before I moved in and I agreed to go halves with him. Attached is the blind in my room and the couch

Absolutely reasonable to ask.
    State of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

well i didnt touch.the ****in blind. It was most likely like that when I moved in . I know for sure the walls werent in a great state so I had them painted

So are you going to ask and report back what the response is? Ask today and don't dwell on it no need to be worrying about it. Just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Blinds are cheap, personally for little things like that I replace them myself and don't bother the landlord about them.

I'd be more likely to ask about the couch, but to be honest I'd probably just buy a pretty throw and put it over it instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Thats subjective. blinds with a few small holes do not make it not fit for purpose, yes aesthetically, it may not be as good as it once was but it still does the job. same for the couch.

Rent plays a big factor here. Hes not a good tenant, he is simply a tenant that pays on time. When he mentioned he did jobs AND subtracts from the rent again just means he is a normal tenant. Nothing really to make him better or worse here. If he is below market rate, calling him for this type of stuff will make him think, ok i spent 1k for all the work. I havent increase rent for x years and i want to recoup the extra money so lets increase it by 100e a month etc so in the end the tenant could loose out.

I think maybe you should learn to appreciate loyal customers who pay the rent asked and only bother you for a new blind and couch once in the 5 years.

Can't be giving out things are unfair for landlords if you're not fair yourself. Never mind all that ROI malarky for the sake of a trip to ikea, if the OP leaves for somewhere better, the downtime between tenants would cost you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

As a landlord, I wouldn’t have a problem with a tenant asking to replace these items, they do look in a bad state, and as another poster said, they would need to be replaced before the next let, anyway. But, I would not spend a lot on replacing them, I would really looking for a good quality, durable, but reasonably priced replacement. If the tenant wanted to buy their own due to personal preference on size/comfort/quality, I doubt any landlord would mind arranging disposal of the old one. Also, I’m not sure why the op asking should trigger a rent increase, the LL should be doing that anyway.

It's not subjective. The blinds have holes in them and the couch is literally falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've been in my place more than 10 years, and the sofa is similar material and nothing like that. What have you been doing to it? Also, how did the holes in the blinds get there - that isn't natural wear and tear.

TBH, if you can find somewhere nicer to move for a comparable price, then sure ask your LL. But places to move to are scarce enough in many parts of the country.

A total lack of understanding of any/all the variables involved.

The OP should ask that those two items be replaced. Any decent landlord would replace them as mentioned by many posters, particularly if the alternative is having to get in a new tenant and all the risks and hassle that goes with that who may well want them replaced anyway based on how they look now.
    I'd doubt very much the landlord would baulk at replacing them.

Blinds are cheap, personally for little things like that I replace them myself and don't bother the landlord about them.

I'd be more likely to ask about the couch, but to be honest I'd probably just buy a pretty throw and put it over it instead.

Blinds will most likely form part of fixtures and fittings listing (check your lease) which means they are the landlords property. If you are replacing them, just let the landlord know you are doing so.

Landlords don't mind being 'bothered' with knowing when parts of their property are being replaced. It is your responsibility to do this.

• Advertisement

Actually yes he does need an incentive. Does the couch function albeit not very comfortably - yes. Does the blinds function yes.

Its an opportunity cost for the ll. Should he spend 1k to repair those things with an ROI of 0 on a depreciating asset or should he invest it somewhere else.

As if a landlord is going to spend a grand on a couch and a blind in a rental property. :pac: :pac:

It's not about an ROI. The landlord is letting a furnished property. There are costs associated with this, one of which is replacing furniture when it has outlived it's natural life.

Imagine you rented a car for a month but it was defective and couldn't get above 20km/h, and you brought it into them and they said "your complaint is subjective and we refute it, the car still technically drives, we're not doing anything about it cause we're investing in this other thing instead."

You'd laugh in their face and demand your money back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement