Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it reasonable to ask the landlord to replace the couch and blinds

Options
  • 22-01-2020 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Ive been renting in my current apartment for 5 years. Its a bog standard 1 bed. I have been thinking of moving out because I feel the place is a bit drab. The Blinds are well worn and the couch is hideous. Am I entitled to ask the landlord replace these things. Ive been a very good tenant. Always paid rent on time and any odd job that needed to be done I paid it myself and took it out of the rent . The walls were badly in need of a painting before I moved in and I agreed to go halves with him. Attached is the blind in my room and the couch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

the blind and sofa

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Certainly no harm in asking. If they've been there as long as you have the depreciation on them would have been written off by now and there are tax breaks for this so can't see why he'd say no rather than risk losing you (unless your rent is significantly below market rate)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

As mentioned on your other thread, you can always ask or just get a nice free sofa on Adverts, based on your wages on the other thread you can afford to get a few bits to make it more homely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Is the lease furnished or unfurnished?

Did you provide the sofa or the LL?

I don’t see any harm asking to be honest. He can pick up blinds and a side cheap enough and he can offset the cost towards his income tax. (Not sure if direct or capital cost over 8 years).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Maybe ask the LL to take it away and you buy your own and keep it/sell it when you move on

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Is the lease furnished or unfurnished?

Did you provide the sofa or the LL?

I don’t see any harm asking to be honest. He can pick up blinds and a side cheap enough and he can offset the cost towards his income tax. (Not sure if direct or capital cost over 8 years).

The lease is furnished and its the landlords

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Definitely ask.

Both look like they've outlived their natural lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Depends. Are you paying full market rate or near? If so do ask to replace the couch is past it. If you are paying much less that market rent then be careful or he may fell that aredo and higher rent is the way to go.

I don't think your current rent is relevant tbh. The two items you've shown are no longer fit for purpose, if the landlord is in any way competent they will replace both. This is just one of the costs of being a landlord letting out furnished property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

A blind can be got in Argos for €20 ��

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I don't think your current rent is relevant tbh. The two items you've shown are no longer fit for purpose, if the landlord is in any way competent they will replace both. This is just one of the costs of being a landlord letting out furnished property.

Yes they should but if the rent is well below market rate it would be wise to consider the possibility of them deciding to end the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've been in my place more than 10 years, and the sofa is similar material and nothing like that. What have you been doing to it? Also, how did the holes in the blinds get there - that isn't natural wear and tear.

TBH, if you can find somewhere nicer to move for a comparable price, then sure ask your LL. But places to move to are scarce enough in many parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Usual sneering from Mrs O B

I had a sofa in a similar state after a few years. It was godawful plastic that is very uncomfortable and eventually it cracks. Cheapest of the cheap sofa

Ask for sure. I did and got something much better

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've been in my place more than 10 years, and the sofa is similar material and nothing like that. What have you been doing to it? Also, how did the holes in the blinds get there - that isn't natural wear and tear.

TBH, if you can find somewhere nicer to move for a comparable price, then sure ask your LL. But places to move to are scarce enough in many parts of the country.

Will you stop that is the cheapest crap that can be bought with fake leather.

The op is paying high rent as I'm sure you are so to be honest the fittings and furniture should really reflect on that price.

The LL will be able to deduct for tax and honestly after 5 years they've done well....

Quite possible them items were there and well used before.

Op ask the LL and if you get nowhere then put it in writing and if still no action then use the RTB as you should be comfortable in your home.

Obviously you could as others said ask them to remove and get your own but then again they may even say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

I bought a very similar sofa to that. Looks almost identical. Cracked in the exact same way after about 4 years.

Those sofas are total garbage. Cheap plastic rubbish.

Mine went the same way, landlord replaced it without issue.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Yes they should but if the rent is well below market rate it would be wise to consider the possibility of them deciding to end the lease.

They can't end the lease because the OP is making completely reasonable requests for dead furniture and fixtures and fittings to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Those are pretty bad. Yes, ask for a replacement. Landlords can write refurbishment off against tax, should be no objection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Do you ever not immediately jump to blame the OP for whatever situation they ask advice on? There's no way you have the same couch, those are the cheap naff ones you get in rentals that would never last over 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Will you stop that is the cheapest crap that can be bought with fake leather.

Op ask the LL and if you get nowhere then put it in writing and if still no action then use the RTB as you should be comfortable in your home.

And people wonder why landlords are selling up and getting out. OP earning €1000 a week and he too mean to make his rented flat comfortable for himself.

• Advertisement

Steer55 wrote: »
    And people wonder why landlords are selling up and getting out. OP earning €1000 a week and he too mean to make his rented flat comfortable for himself.

There is some nonsense posted on here sometimes.

Landlords are selling up and getting out because they're expected to replace their own furniture? Any landlord who thinks like this is a total clown and we (and the rest of landlords) are better off without them. They're the sort of unprofessional, clueless landlord that results in all landlords getting a bad name (which subsequently makes them an easy target for government legislation).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

To be fair that sofa is in bits, not fit for anything. LL would or should replace it. I was proxy LL for an elderly relative and replaced a sofa in similar condition (don't know how it got that bad TBH after three years newly bought, but didn't quibble).

The tenant replaced a blind and some other small things himself no bother. Gave him 50 quid. Just saying. So it was only the big things.

Do what you feel is right OP only you know the situation.

I will tell the following true story for your perusal

Their was a house being rented for way, way below the market rent. The landlord wanted a quiet life and wasn't really bothered about the rent. This went on without a hike for years. Then a new person started in the house and asked for new furniture etc. etc.

This disturbed the Landlord no end and he quickly sold the property and all they had to leave. They weren't too happy about it.

To be fair that sofa is in bits, not fit for anything. LL would or should replace it. I was proxy LL for an elderly relative and replaced a sofa in similar condition (don't know how it got that bad TBH after three years newly bought, but didn't quibble).

The tenant replaced a blind and some other small things himself no bother. Just saying. So it was only the big things.

Those fake plastic leather sofas are genuinely rubbish. They do not last.

They go hard after a while, and then doing things such as sitting on them (which I guess people do with sofas) causes them to crack, and the plastic then starts to peel off the underlayer.

Once it starts to crack it just gets worse, there's no way to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's great the way that boards gives people a variety of opinions rather than just functioning as an echo chamber with everyone agreeing with each other :-)

I reckon that the blind has been attacked by a cat or some such. Absolutely not natural wear and tear.

And we have no idea what rent the OP is paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Those fake plastic leather sofas are genuinely rubbish. They do not last.

They go hard after a while, and then doing things such as sitting on them (which I guess people do with sofas) causes them to crack, and the plastic then starts to peel off the underlayer.

Once it starts to crack it just gets worse, there's no way to stop it.

Just to mention, the sofa that I replaced was not plastic or anything, it was fabric but was full of holes, rips and tears etc. I didn't argue just replaced it with a similar sofa.

And told them to get rid of the fecking cat that they didn't admit to, and said no more replacements ok! Ha.

It is likely to remind him to Increase the rent. If the op isn’t in a rent pressure zone it could be 100’s more per month and even if they are they are there 5 years so even with the rules an increase could be significant.

The Sofa-Sitting on it

The blinds- Pulling them down at night

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

It's great the way that boards gives people a variety of opinions rather than just functioning as an echo chamber with everyone agreeing with each other :-)

I reckon that the blind has been attacked by a cat or some such. Absolutely not natural wear and tear.

And we have no idea what rent the OP is paying.

You said that the couch should last 10 years easily which isn't the case clearly. I don't know why you would say that if it obviously isn't true.

Not disagreeing with you about the blind.

• Advertisement

JustLen wrote: »
    You said that the couch should last 10 years easily which isn't the case clearly. I don't know why you would say that if it obviously isn't true.

Not disagreeing with you about the blind.

well i didnt do anything to the blind. i cant remember if it was like that or not when i moved in . if you dont believe me i dont care because it wont matter what i say

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement